A good aftermarket head unit that fits the SC interior

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-03, 06:11 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by danielribo
Here's my latest upgrade
Hmmm, I see you dont give a tinkers cuss about integrating the new Hi-Fi into the existing lines of your car, modesty forbids me from telling you what I think of this abortion (well actually, the Moderators forbid me).

I suspect you dont go for conservative, uncluttered lines in your home Hi-Fi either, tell me would you prefer A or B when you say "This is my new Hi-Fi, dont it look great" ?
Attached Thumbnails A good aftermarket head unit that fits the SC interior-goodgod_hifi.jpg  
Old 02-23-03, 08:40 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by onelasttry
OK guy's, i grabbed an image of a factory lexus headunit and an eclipse 5441i and merged them so you can see the plugs.

the two plugs not used on the factory v/s the eclipse are the changer, and external volume control.

hopefully this image will load quickly for you, it's on boomspeed, so no guarentee's...lol.

Thanks for clearing that up.... Very interesting. I guess we know you HAVE the knowledge and experience. Great having you here.

MW

Last edited by O. L. T.; 07-31-03 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-23-03, 09:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 349 Likes on 225 Posts
Talking

Thanks. What i know is special interest stuff, so i may know everything about something and what is literally right beside it i may know nothing about so it's hit and miss. i'll either open my mouth or i wont.
Old 02-24-03, 12:28 AM
danielribo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your concern Bill, it was of great assistance.

For your information, I spent about six months trying to find a stereo that WOULD look factory. I bought a stereo from a higher spec Soarer and found that it didn't fit. I spent hours trying to rewire it and whatever else, but it didn't work.

I also spent days going through wreckers trying to find a similar Toyota headunit, but again failed.

In the end, I settled for this unit because it was the closest size I could get (and afford) to the 2.5 DIN Factory. I figured it would look better than a single DIN with an awful storage compartment and .5 DIN space filler. I don't believe you're really one to talk, considering your efforts (the orange LED's look great (!) by the way).

Remember, it's MY car. NOT YOURS. I can do with it what I want to. Why don't you pull your bloody head in.

Oh, and by the way, my home stereo consists of two speakers, a plain black DVD player and a small, black, amplifier. So I'd have to say that both A & B are too over the top.

God I'm glad I'm not stuck in the UK with whinging old ****** like yourself.
Old 02-24-03, 12:34 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, both of you exchanged your jabs, I think you should both call it quits now (or at least take it to PMs) so this thread stays open and on topic for others to learn from.

I think a 1-din deck with a 1-din pocket and 0.5 din filler looks decent. At least that's what I'm using until I can afford to buy the KVT911 and do some custom work to the console...
Attached Thumbnails A good aftermarket head unit that fits the SC interior-apr10-01.jpg  
Old 02-24-03, 08:06 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Hey, Bill, I used to have that box bungeed to the back of my Ninja ....don't sweat the ghettoblaster. Daniel, easy there, Bill doesn't have that part of the brain that filters him from saying things, we're used to it, he's just funnin' with you, don't feel bad, he calls me the Yankee ****** . Seriously though, the roofing tar must be deaded, i'll make you a .5 DIN piece out of ABS or carbon fibre if you promise to change it ASAP . lex400sc, I didn't mind the big filler either, here's mine in carbon even though you've seen it I guess the others haven't, but it now bothers me with all that blank space. Regardless, now that i've finally gotten engaged, she's been so happy she's been buying me the best toys, so the other day she came home with an Alpine DVA-5205 DVD player, fits right in under the CVA-1006 (just upgraded that too), so problem solved. Now all I need is boost so I can fill the remaining .5DIN with an EBC and TT. I'll post pics when it's done...

- LL
Attached Thumbnails A good aftermarket head unit that fits the SC interior-compressed-alpine-cva-1005-and-dsp-control-in-glovebox.jpg  
Old 02-24-03, 02:47 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

i did something similar, but moved the radio to the glovebox and fitted a 6 inch screen in the stock hole. unfortunately it's been removed and put back in so many times the leather has warped and well...... time time time.... i'll get to it one day. i'll see if i cant find a pic.
Old 02-24-03, 09:59 PM
danielribo
Driver School Candidate

Sorry guys,

I'm used to the Australian forums where we don't seem to have those kinds of people making appearances.

Yes, I realise the plastic is ****e, but that's just what the installer put there. I'll get something that fits in a little better when I can find something worthy.
Old 02-24-03, 10:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

i went with leather wrapped over abs with a little foam padding inbetween to give it a plush appearance. vinyl works just as well, and wouldnt even cost a single dollar with just a foot of it.

my only problem is that i take the tv in and out and my leather warped after a while, you wouldnt have this problem if it stays put, plus it goes with all the other leather and looks great.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-24-03 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-24-03, 10:14 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

I used black vinyl wrapped over an MDF frame .
Old 02-24-03, 10:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

believe it or not, my best experience yet has been working with balsa wood. it forms so extremely easy and is light as a feather.
Old 02-24-03, 11:22 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have been looking for a steup for the SC and let me tell ya, there isn't anything worth buying IMO...

I'm actually going to have a custom made system put in my car...I'm going to for the factory 2001+ GS Mark Lev/Nav look...I'll post details once it's done...all I know for sure is that's it won't be cheap! Why can't someone make just a plain sheet of plastic that is the same plastic as the factory with NO cutout and then leave it up to the installers to do the right size cutout...
Old 02-24-03, 11:24 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

that would be abs plastic. the sheets are available from most autosound shops.
Old 02-24-03, 11:25 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

my new one is a piece of Velveeta stretched over a toothpick frame...
Old 02-24-03, 11:26 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Talking

so it's cheesy?

...and flimsy as a toothpick?

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-24-03 at 11:27 PM.

Quick Reply: A good aftermarket head unit that fits the SC interior