SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

A good aftermarket head unit that fits the SC interior

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-03, 09:00 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

danielribo,

I am sure you could use a band shifter to get more stations, but is there a model that allows for all US stations? I understood that you could either have the high or low but not both on the same shifter.

Hermosa,

"jam"??? I wouldn't suggest jamming anything. All the pieces from new to old fit in the dash, but they you have to wire them. This would be a feat in its own. I think you may be on to something thou. A nice GS NAV unit would be really nice.

MW
Old 02-28-03, 09:07 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by pcmw
All the pieces from new to old fit in the dash, but they you have to wire them. This would be a feat in its own. I think you may be on to something thou. A nice GS NAV unit would be really nice.

MW

MW, what you are saying then, is that if a person is willing to go the extra mile with the wiring, most Lex factory Nav systems will fit the SC?? With a lot of patience, this seems doable. Of course, there is that matter of cost of a Lex nav system vs. an aftermarket system. I bet I already know which will have the best cost to benefit ratio. But once again, we come back to fittment. Nothing will look as good as the factory system. That is worth a lot to some of us.
Old 02-28-03, 09:16 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Hey Matt,

We should meet up with Rich sometime and hang out again. I am sure we all have done something to our cars since then. It would be nice to catch lunch maybe in Walnut Creek or Pleasanton, whichever is closer to you.

- Mike
Old 02-28-03, 06:00 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

That sounds fun. I don't have my car thou. They are working on fitting that front hood wing on. The body shop said it interfered with the windshield tristage wing deflector. To get the very best downforce I had to use a sawzall to cut the A pillar to prevent conflict. Also, I only had room for one headlight in the center. So I will have to check and make sure that I am not breaking any laws. I think it is DOT certified, but not sure. The law says 24" off the ground is the minimum but when I let the hydralics down and then deflate the air cans, it is about 8" from the pavement. The car pulls to the right a tad too. So the alignment shop is thinking that my 15" rims on the right with the 19" rims on the left may correct the problem all together. Lets hope so.

MW
Old 02-28-03, 06:27 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

The car pulls to the right a tad too. So the alignment shop is thinking that my 15" rims on the right with the 19" rims on the left may correct the problem all together.
San Francisco, eh?

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-28-03 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-28-03, 07:35 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by onelasttry
San Francisco, eh?
ROFLMAO!!!
Old 02-28-03, 07:37 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Mike, Matt, we should definitely meet up again. I haven't done much to my car since our last meet other than detailing and maintenance, but it'd be fun anyway. Funny thing, I parked on Main St. in Pleasanton today to eat a burrito at High Tech, and two other SCs parked front and behind me out of random coincidence. Reminded me of the Dean's Cafe meet BTW, sorry for crapping on this thread, continue...
Old 02-28-03, 08:04 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Default 1 DIN space filler...

Hey guys,

Since there's been so much discussion about what to do with the space left over from upgrading the strereo, I thought I'd pass this along. I think I found it somewhere on CL, so thanks to whomever first listed the link... The site is Omori Meter North America. They have several different styles. Here's one example:
A perfect match for our 45mm series, this panel angles the gauges 30 degrees toward the driver, and is perfect for any empty DIN-sized opening. Moulded from high quaility black ABS Plastic.
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-03, 09:03 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

wmulli,

The issue is not a din size gap...but a 1/2 din size gap.

MW
Old 02-28-03, 09:08 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

You know I'm really surprised that none of the car audio accessory companies have jumped on the 1.5-din pocket idea yet...
Old 02-28-03, 09:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

the metra kit for the 95 & up ford ranger is a 1.5 din kit. with a creative razor operator, the .5din pocket of that kit could be used.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-28-03 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-28-03, 09:40 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Further examples of half din pockets that can be used with a little creativity:

Last edited by O. L. T.; 07-31-03 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-01-03, 10:04 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

this one is the one I would want, it can play dvds, md, cd, mp3 and navigation..
Attached Thumbnails A good aftermarket head unit that fits the SC interior-alpine.jpg  
Old 03-01-03, 10:56 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah...
Old 03-01-03, 11:18 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by pcmw
That sounds fun. I don't have my car thou. They are working on fitting that front hood wing on. The body shop said it interfered with the windshield tristage wing deflector. To get the very best downforce I had to use a sawzall to cut the A pillar to prevent conflict. Also, I only had room for one headlight in the center. So I will have to check and make sure that I am not breaking any laws. I think it is DOT certified, but not sure. The law says 24" off the ground is the minimum but when I let the hydralics down and then deflate the air cans, it is about 8" from the pavement. The car pulls to the right a tad too. So the alignment shop is thinking that my 15" rims on the right with the 19" rims on the left may correct the problem all together. Lets hope so.

MW
Hehe, I am having troubles too. Finding the right 19" hubcaps is proving to be really hard. The retrofit project of the Geo Metro I3 is coming along though.

For reals though there is a chance I might drive to a Sac auto recycler this weekend.

Skulinex what model is that GPS?

Last edited by Hermosa; 03-01-03 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: A good aftermarket head unit that fits the SC interior