SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

96 sc400 seems sketchy

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 06:04 PM
coolexus96
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the car fax on the 96 and it did not match up. The miles were all messed up on the years and it said it had 5 owners. Woah. The Last One Had I For 3 Years And Then The Current Owner Had It For 8 months.
However I did find a white 94 with 115,000 (supposedly). It has kind of torn up front seats so that was kind of a red flag. He confirmed he was willing to take it to the dealership to get inspected. I don't know if that is the actual mileage. He believes he is the 4th owner, I've been reading stuff about people dialing back the odemeter or replacing them. Is this white one 2 good to be true for $4500 and in 7 out of 10 condition?
Thank you CL Members
Old 04-30-14, 08:04 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I've found lately, in the past 3 years, on my hunt for SC's, not many people keep maintenance records unless they are the original owners. The first one I had, had no records, but when I pulled it up on the Lexus website, it was loaded with dealer service. The second one, with only 83k miles, had a couple records, but again, when I pulled it up on the Lexus website, it had more records that I could imagine. If I recall correctly, it had like 6 pages worth. So look up the VIN with Lexus and be sure. It will also, hopefully, give some merit to the mileage on the car.
Old 05-01-14, 04:45 PM
coolexus96
Driver School Candidate

Iam going to look at the White 1994 sc400 with 115,000 miles tomorrow. It was a California car and got shipped up to wisconsin in 02 and their were only about 40,000 miles put on the car in a 10 year span(2012), I suspect it was only driven in the summer months. I got an apt at a toyota dealership to look at the car before purchasing and got a carfax and there was no damage done. Timing belt has not been done yet. There is no sunroof or heated seats unfortunately. I hope it passes my test drive and and the mechanic look over. Compression test is like $140 and debating whether it is worth it. Keep you guys posted if I have any questions. Hoping to get the car for 4500. If there is anything else I should know as well feel free to post it. U guys have been a big help.
Old 05-01-14, 07:38 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm surprised moonroof was an option. I figured that was standard equipment on all SCs. Mine doesn't have heated seats, either, having started life as a Texas car.
Old 05-02-14, 09:36 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coolexus96
Iam going to look at the White 1994 sc400 with 115,000 miles tomorrow. It was a California car and got shipped up to wisconsin in 02 and their were only about 40,000 miles put on the car in a 10 year span(2012), I suspect it was only driven in the summer months. I got an apt at a toyota dealership to look at the car before purchasing and got a carfax and there was no damage done. Timing belt has not been done yet. There is no sunroof or heated seats unfortunately. I hope it passes my test drive and and the mechanic look over. Compression test is like $140 and debating whether it is worth it. Keep you guys posted if I have any questions. Hoping to get the car for 4500. If there is anything else I should know as well feel free to post it. U guys have been a big help.
You sir have stumbled upon a rare option for our cars no sunroof/hardtop if everything comes back good you should seriously consider getting that SC!
Old 05-02-14, 10:42 AM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with shrugs on this one. My first SC was a 92 with so many problems I wonder why I bought it. Actually I don't, it was meant as a beater since I thought my Audi needed major work I couldn't afford at the time.

I took my time with the current SC. I had narrowed it down to the SC and a 93 300Z. Having owned both, I knew what I was in for (relatively). The 300 was a hoot to drive, but was sitting on engine work and a new clutch- and the dude was sketchy about maintenance. The SC seller handed me over 100 pages of work done to the car (normal maintenance, tires, dealer servicing, brakes, oil changes) and knew everything about the car.

In the end, a no brainer. But I was happy that I'd taken my time this go around. Money really wasn't a super big factor, cause I wanted to own it forever and I knew I was getting a good thing.

Plus, the downtime is a real letdown (when the work is being done). I had to watch my old Z sit in the driveway for months before it was drive able. Almost sold it twice, I was so ticked.
Old 05-04-14, 05:00 PM
coolexus96
Driver School Candidate

I drove from minneapolis to green bay wisconsin to meet the guy and to get it inspected at a toyota dealership and it had back passenger strut blown out, driver rear side brake locked up, leaking rack and pinion, and the ever so popular leaking power steering pump. The leather was absolutely destroyed, and my gut was telling me he replaced the dash. He knew nothing about the car he was sellling,Telling me the car had 300 hp, I ended up walking away.

Iam looking at a 92 sc400 2moro with 160,000 miles. 3 owner, and hopefully everything checks out. No sunroof as well. With those 92s being the 1st year of the car, anything on those that were a major problem? Did some research didn't find anything to special. This one no maintenance records unfortunately.

(I did kind of like the look of the hardtop as well, but on a nice night out I like the sunroof option)

Keep you posted CL

thanks a lot for the responses they are a big help.
Old 05-04-14, 09:58 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would of took that car in a heart beat
Old 05-04-14, 10:26 PM
mulcryant
Driver School Candidate

well i guess call me lucky, i took a chance on this sc 400 i picked up for 500 bucks with every maintenance done at the dealer from 5 miles to 135k from then on to about 172 it was done at the same shop all with receipts
well from 172 to 190 however the car was completely beat to hell poor soarer
Ive had her for maybe a week and a half and shes already running steady no rough idle
tranny issues got fixed
she needs a little here and there but over all im happy i saved her from the scrap yard
Old 05-06-14, 09:52 AM
coolexus96
Driver School Candidate

Iam a new owner of a 92 sc400!! Mechanic looked over it, needs a new serpentine belt, replacing that 2nite. Going with a gates belt. I have to replace some button bulbs on the ac unit, put a new antenna in (it came with a new one). Clear out the water from inside a headlight. Tighten up the nets on the back seat. And replace some bulbs on the mph dash(replaced them on my es300). I know how to do all of those from the stickies posted on here.

There is one thing that is throwing me off a little bit and I will try to post a pic if necessary but when both windows are rolled down I can see a rubber part on the driver side, but when I walk over to the passenger side and look down I can see the inside of the door panel, there is a rubber part on the outside of the window, but not one on the inside.
Super funky and would like to get a part number and wondering why it's not there. Do not want water and air noise getting into the cabin of my new sc400

Thanks guys I will sit back and do some learning as I start my sc400 adventure
Old 05-06-14, 10:49 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Good luck with it, sounds nice except for the usual items that need attention.
In my experience when the antenna brakes on any toyota or lexus (including on my SC about 500 miles ago), the thing I do is push it down until its in the fully closed position, and then in the trunk behind the left carpet under the antenna is the motor, and I just unplug the connector clip for it. that way its always in the down position.

With how strong radio signals are these days, I noticed no change in radio whatsoever from doing that, and since the antenna looks so long and ugly when in the up position, I am glad it broke and now remains down at all times (before unplugging it would make funny sounds and not go up all the way or down all the way, you know the typical broken toyota antenna mast). you can even disconnect it if yours is working/new as a test. Next time car goes in for body work its getting shaved, large antennas these days are unnecessary its not the 90's anymore =)