VERY WORRIED.. Only one wheel spinning

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-03, 07:03 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VERY WORRIED.. Only one wheel spinning

Okay, here's what happened.
I was trying to go up hill on this snow covered road, but failed to advance at all. So I turn my car around and try to go up in reverse. I fail again and my wheels only skid in the snow. But the thing I noticed is that only one of the two rear wheel was spinning. The right one. The left one was dead still.

I 'think'...i think my car doesn't have traction control since there is no 'trac off' button next to the shifter. So traction control being activated can't be the case, can it?

I'm very worried that I may have been rolling with only one wheel pusing my car all this time.
Old 02-12-03, 07:15 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our cars have no LSD. All the power goes to the wheel with the least traction. If your car was on a lift only 1 wheel would be spinning also. This is my guess, i could be wrong though.
Old 02-12-03, 07:23 PM
hiyabrad
Driver

This is so strange, but, over the weekend I was attempting to go up a driveway and was making a hard right hand turn into the drive, so my right wheel was getting a bit lifted off the ground, and it just spun and squeeled and the car went no where.

I think this is due to no LSD too.

'96 SC400
Old 02-12-03, 07:39 PM
jwar
Driver

My 92 sc400 does that too. I don't think there was LSD for 92's.
When you go in reverse the opposite one spins.
I heard you can use a supra rear end.
Old 02-12-03, 08:10 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Umm...
What's LSD?
So is it normal that my car was trying to go reverse with only one wheel spinning?
Old 02-12-03, 08:15 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Chrono,

It is normal. LSD = Limited Slip Differential. NO SC came with LSD stock. You CAN use a supra rear end to do this.

Do a search for LSD and you will find plenty.

MW
Old 02-12-03, 08:45 PM
GT4Dyce
Driver School Candidate

The best resource for learning about diffs. Simple and straight forward...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
Old 02-12-03, 09:02 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Chrono i feel ya....michigan sucks...im either getting a Mitsu 3000 GT VR-4 for winter next year or im buying those damn blizzaks...cause there are days i cat even get up the exit ramps...there are semi trucks passing me man....and that snow we had last night was horrible...it took my 25 minute trip...a total of 55 minutes...and i was going home... i shut my traction control off cause i used the damn thing so much that i thought i broke it...anyway man good luck see you on the road...atleast i know im not the only one suffering around these parts...lol
Old 02-13-03, 06:54 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

When I get to my garage, small uphill, on the snowy days with traction control off, I leave two traction marks on the ground. Also, one time I was practicing power braking, so with the left foot on the brake slowly stepping on the gas, with the right foot, I caused the wheels to spin. After that when I checked the ground I've seen two black spots not one. Can anybody explain this to me?
Old 02-13-03, 07:04 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I contacted lexus USA headquarters to ask if any of our cars had LSD. This was the response.

on Passenger cars sold in North America GS, LS, SC's LSD's were never installed as an option or standard equipment. Instead they came with traction control.
Old 02-13-03, 09:55 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally posted by VSsc400
I contacted lexus USA headquarters to ask if any of our cars had LSD. This was the response.

on Passenger cars sold in North America GS, LS, SC's LSD's were never installed as an option or standard equipment. Instead they came with traction control.
While I agree that this is the OFFICIAL Lexus position... numerous SCs and some early model LSs power BOTH wheels. This is only possible with LSD so there must be something going on. Without LSD a car will spin just ONE tire... the one with the least traction. When both tires have traction power goes to both tires but hit a slick spot and you are in trouble.
Old 02-13-03, 10:22 AM
Lvangundy

I know I'm lost on this one too.

I'm one of the LS owners Jbrady speaks of. (click this to see me spinning BOTH tires)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=69129

I also think Lexus changed the differential from 1990-1992 to 1993+. 0-60 speeds did NOT go down from 1992-1993 even with a larger diameter wheel and tire. Must be some difference in differential.

Old 02-13-03, 04:56 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dunno; you can still spin both wheels without a LSD...

to test if you have LSD put one tire in water and the other in dry... make the tires spin; if the tire on the dry spins; you have LSD
Old 02-13-03, 09:32 PM
jwar
Driver

How do you get both wheels spinning without a LSD?

Anyone know if you could put an mkiii supra LSD on? They're really cheap.
Old 02-14-03, 03:20 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

What's the gear ratio on the MKIII differential? The MKIV is 3.13:1 right? Or 3.76:1? I can never remember!

Reminds me of this time I went to my old high school to run the new foam track, and while I was there the damn custodian locked the gated parking lot with my car in it . So I had to drive through the school campus and across it's surrounding grass hills. I lost traction going up this one particularly wet, steep, and curvy hill and slid all the way down it. When I finally climbed it, I saw that my left-rear tire left behind quite a big skid mark in the grass while the right side was unscathed. That's how I found out I have no LSD .

Quick Reply: VERY WORRIED.. Only one wheel spinning