SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Can't find Tach Wire, Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-03, 09:29 AM
racing fan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find Tach Wire, Please help!

Hey guys,
I'm in the middle(actually towards teh end) of my alarm/remote start/turbo timer install on my 93 sc300 and we can't find the tach wire for the car. There are a few that we have narrowed it down to but the instructions aren't too great so we are a little lost now. Does anyone know which wire exactly it is? Also teh oil pressure wire..... There are too many wires in the dash area so we gave up on looking in there but does anyone know which wires exactly the tach and oil pressure are under the steering column?
Your help is greatly appreceated
Old 02-17-03, 09:36 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

racing fan,

I went to the engine bay to tap the tach wire. It is relatively simple to locate. There is a diagnostic plug with a simple black wire. If you meter it you can see it vary and it will be obvious.

MW
Old 02-17-03, 09:37 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

black / behind pass strut tower

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-17-03 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-17-03, 09:39 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

;.;.;.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 07-31-03 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-17-03, 09:40 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Talking

like that little mouse speedy, he beat me to it.....
Old 02-17-03, 09:42 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

here
Attached Thumbnails Can't find Tach Wire, Please help!-alarm.jpg  
Old 02-17-03, 09:43 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Not quite behind the strut tower, but it may be in a SC400 or different years.

It is just the standard Diagnostic plug. Cut off the loom and test the black wire.

MW
Old 02-17-03, 09:45 AM
racing fan
Driver

Originally posted by pcmw
racing fan,

I went to the engine bay to tap the tach wire. It is relatively simple to locate. There is a diagnostic plug with a simple black wire. If you meter it you can see it vary and it will be obvious.

MW
The diagnostic box in front of the intake manifold plenum? It has a big insulated wire on it... I think you are talking about something else, another diagnostic utility perhaps?

EDIT I guess you were talking abour the one in front of the intake manifold. Is it the only black wire in there? Where did you open the loom at? Thanks alot!!

Ok, its opened up. Is it the black/red, black/yellow, or black/silver dots?

Last edited by racing fan; 02-17-03 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-17-03, 09:48 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Can you see the PICTURE.... You can see the electrical tape re-sealing the loom about 1" down the section.

MW
Old 02-17-03, 09:57 AM
racing fan
Driver

Can you see the PICTURE.... You can see the electrical tape re-sealing the loom about 1" down the section.

MW
Sorry about that. I looked at the pic after I posted. We opend it up and there are 3 different black wires. My multimeter is acting really weird so I can't test it accurately. Do you happen to remember whether it was black/red, black/yellow/ or black/silver dots? I wasn't sure if the colors onelasttry posted are the same as what I looking at as its not on teh passenger side strut tower location.

Thanks again!!
Old 02-17-03, 10:10 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

black/silver dots

You can always try it...if you have a DEI alarm it will auto-sense and either work or not.

It for sure is not a black and red wire.....

MW
Old 02-17-03, 10:18 AM
racing fan
Driver

Alright. I'll give it a shot. One last Q-hopefully Where di you run the wire through the firewall? Drill a hole on the drivers side? I'm trying to avoid running it on the passenger side and back around to the drivers side as the current wire isn't long enough.
Old 02-17-03, 10:27 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Look to the right of the brake master cylinder and you will see a 1" grommet. I have run everything from alarm wires to 4ga amplifier power thru there.

Best of luck. However, this is an easy deal. Do not make it more difficult that it needs to be. Take your time, plan it out. Measure three times, cut twice, and screw up once.

MW
Old 02-17-03, 12:14 PM
racing fan
Driver

Look to the right of the brake master cylinder and you will see a 1" grommet. I have run everything from alarm wires to 4ga amplifier power thru there.

Best of luck. However, this is an easy deal. Do not make it more difficult that it needs to be. Take your time, plan it out. Measure three times, cut twice, and screw up once.

MW
I ran it through the hole next to teh brake pedal, theo ne for the clutch I thikn. You talked abotu it here, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=firewall+hole
I just ran it through the nipple.

Everyhting is working now(remote start, turbo timer, door LOCKS) except for teh door unlock. Its pretty weird because it was working this morning before we had some of the other stuff working. When you hit the button to unlock the brain just clicks but we can't find any loose wires or anything. Any ideas?

Thanks alot for all the help!!!!!!!!I owe ya one

UPDATE The unlock works now. The clamp became a little loose off of it. Needless to say we fixed it so that won't be happening again

Time to mount the proximity sensor.. Do you know the best place to put it? I don't want it too out in the open as its a black box and rather ugly...

Last edited by racing fan; 02-17-03 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-17-03, 12:20 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Oh man....

You need to plumb this with the factory alarm feature of your alarm. This will initiate and the re-lock the signal and therefore disable the factory alarm if you have one. Wierd deal... when I autostart to leave my car running when I want to jump out at them ATM or anything I use this but have to wait for the second lock sequence to release.

MW

Quick Reply: Can't find Tach Wire, Please help!