SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

are SC cabins warmer than most cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 08:44 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chnk, let us know!! I'm interested in getting some of this since my carpet is already pulled. Which thermal reduction did you end up getting?
Old 08-24-15, 12:00 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chnk
Did this today hopefully it helps with the heat from the transmission tunnel
I've wanted to do that for the longest time. Definitely in for results.
Old 08-25-15, 12:11 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Deegee
Chnk, let us know!! I'm interested in getting some of this since my carpet is already pulled. Which thermal reduction did you end up getting?
I was chatting with some hot rod/classic cars and they told me to go the local hardware store and use reflectrix

Originally Posted by jennie
I've wanted to do that for the longest time. Definitely in for results.
With my shell sitting outside the inside metal gets really hot, the reflectrix was actually warm to feel while my bare metal floor was burning to touch

so its already working, about to the rest of the interior wit this while im cleaning the carpet
Old 08-25-15, 12:17 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was chatting with some hot rod/classic cars and they told me to go the local hardware store and use reflectrix

With my shell sitting outside the inside metal gets really hot, the reflectrix was actually warm to feel while my bare metal floor was burning to touch

so its already working, about to the rest of the interior wit this while im cleaning the carpet
This reflectrix stuff sounds like it does the job for the muscle car guys, I may pick this up myself and do this ASAP. The inside of this car is killer (esp with no AC)
Old 08-27-15, 08:04 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reflectix actually has no R-value without a air gap, Google reflectix r-value. There R value is rated on 2 layers with one 1" gap. Tricky, may help with contact heat but I wonder how much it actually rejects from the total cabin rejection cant hurt. I have had my rear and sides tinted with 5% and windshield with 15% lumar. Did wonders, but I have been ticketed about a million times. I did finally take the windshield tint of because that's what was getting me.
Old 08-28-15, 08:07 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twizted
Reflectix actually has no R-value without a air gap, Google reflectix r-value. There R value is rated on 2 layers with one 1" gap. Tricky, may help with contact heat but I wonder how much it actually rejects from the total cabin rejection cant hurt. I have had my rear and sides tinted with 5% and windshield with 15% lumar. Did wonders, but I have been ticketed about a million times. I did finally take the windshield tint of because that's what was getting me.
I don't think that reflectrix will work better than dynomat, the main concern is really heat outside noise reduction will just be a plus, my sc is straight piped so noise is already drowned out by spooling turbos and blow off valves lol

I did google search on using reflectrix inside a car as I'm always skeptical on putting home depot stuff in my car.

It seems to be the old school muscle car guys doing it

These vette guys seems to like it and even done it themselves

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...reflectix.html
Old 08-28-15, 08:20 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Now to add to the discussion I have considered putting dynomat ontop of the reflectrix after I'm done. Since dynamat is nice and thin and will adhere to the reflctrix easily

so far this project has only cost me $30 for 2 big rolls of reflectrix.

Also when I run out of aluminum tape that may add to the cost as well

and for those that are following this thread, pictures are also uploaded on my build thread

If I could get one good day rather than a hourhere and there I'd have the whole interior done

Last edited by chnk; 08-28-15 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-28-15, 08:27 AM
twizted
Instructor

Now to add to the discussion I have considered putting dynomat ontop of the reflectrix after I'm done. Since dynamat is nice and thin and will adhere to the reflctrix easily

so far this project has only cost me $30 for 2 big rolls of reflectrix.

Also when I run out of aluminum tape that may add to the cost as well
Agreed, maybe just double layer some dynamat or I think phatmat is cheaper right on the tunnel.
Old 08-28-15, 11:13 AM
twizted
Instructor

Originally Posted by lev00221
Anyone considering clear tint on your windshield please be advised of the risk of cracking your windshield. I had clear tint installed on my OEM windshield. It did help in reducing heat buildup but the price that I paid was having to buy a new windshield when I got a very small rock chip. The glass cracked the very same day while the car was parked. The tint changes the way that the glass dissipates heat and makes it prone to cracking ( as explained to me by windshield repair tech). He said further that even if the glass hadn't cracked he could not have repaired the chip in the glass because the resin that is used requires heating from the inside of the glass.

Just something to think about before tinting your windshield.
Mine has had 15% lumar on it for 10 years, never had a problem....