SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Interior rear deck rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 02:06 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Interior rear deck rattle?

So just recently I started hearing a plastic vibration rattle sound coming from the rear deck. Upon inspection I noticed that the cover over the subwoofer was loose so I popped the tabs back in and thought it would be gone. It came back though and the tabs are still clicked into position but if I try to lift the entire rear deck it seems as if nothing is holding it down. Also the passenger side speaker also on the rear deck has a loose cover too. I have a 12" Kenwood ported sub in the trunk but it by no means is strong enough to do this as I've had it for over a year now and this just occurred out of the blue. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what did you all do to fix it? Another side affect of this is every time you close either door, you hear this rattle sound. It has made listening to music unbearable to give you an idea of how loud this rattle is. Any ideas? Or pointers on where to start tearing it down to diagnose this rattle?

Best,
Ashtray
Old 06-20-14, 03:07 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

There's just a lot of parts back there that can cause this. The rear deck is only held but plastic clips behind the rear seat. And it's also under the rear upper panel and no way you can remove it without removing the rear upper panel, and before removing that, you need to remove the rear lower panel. They're all interlocking in some way. The speaker cover are screwed from under the rear deck. The rear deck also becomes very brittle from all the years of being under the sun, yada, yada, yada... There's a huge chance that it's already in pieces actually. I went through this ordeal a few months ago before deciding to tackle it. Didn't find anything to my dismay. Then one day while cleaning the trunk, I leaned on the rear bumper, and it made the sound I always hear from the inside, which I thought was coming from the rear deck. Turns out, the screw for the rear bumper on the side was really loose and it turned the hole for the screw like a violin playing annoying tunes when it vibrates. LOL Good luck man, cheers.
Old 06-20-14, 05:02 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try and locate the problem by simply tapping on various areas back there, and then dynamat it or use something similar to kill the vibration.
Old 06-20-14, 05:11 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same annoying problem. Needa get my gf to drive around while i feel around for the problem.
Old 07-08-14, 04:49 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Okay so this rattle has just gotten worse. Anyway I noticed something else happening with my car now ever since the rattle. When I tilt my sunroof, it seems as if it's sticking to the car and it just pops up making an unsticking popping sound which is pretty loud. Is there any way to grease it? I was thinking of something like tire shine to just keep it wet and greasy. Ideas?
Old 07-13-14, 10:18 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ashtray
Okay so this rattle has just gotten worse. Anyway I noticed something else happening with my car now ever since the rattle. When I tilt my sunroof, it seems as if it's sticking to the car and it just pops up making an unsticking popping sound which is pretty loud. Is there any way to grease it? I was thinking of something like tire shine to just keep it wet and greasy. Ideas?
Gonna give this a bumpskee
Old 07-13-14, 11:56 AM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

A chronic condition with these cars.... Have had a "come and go" rattle from the rear deck for years and never been able to isolate it.... Glad when it "goes" and I just turn up the sound system when it comes.....