SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Horizontal play

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-03, 11:44 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Horizontal play

My question is this if i have 255/45/16 in the rear and 215/60/16 in the front will that give me bad handling? seems as if my car is so wobbly from left to right when im on the highway, and is that a bad setup? i have the daizen setup all done however im getting so much play horizontally any upgrades or suggestions will be helpfull. I have an SC400
Old 02-22-03, 11:55 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The tire sizes shouldn't cause a problem like that as long as the rear tires are both the same, and the front tires are both the same.

Most likely it would be an alignment problem, if your toe settings are not dead on it will cause very unstable straight line driving, especially at higher speeds.

See if you can get your alignment checked, hopefully that does it...

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC
www.tmengineering.net
Old 02-23-03, 04:35 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

it feels as if my sway bars are bad, i know my front stabilizer link is bad can that be the problem??
Old 02-23-03, 05:01 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt it is the tyre sidewall ratio or tyre width front to rear causing the handling issues, did you have the geometry re-set after the bushes where fitted? (4 wheel alignment).
Old 02-23-03, 05:16 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Agree with Bill completely...

Although it's always difficult to diagnose via posts, it is most likely not anything to do with the sway bars. You can actually drive without any sway bars, the only time you would notice would be when you went into a turn, the car would lean quite a bit and not have as much road adhesion.

Bad tires can also cause this if the tread is old, irregularly worn, or belts separated inside.
Old 02-24-03, 07:00 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Horizontal play

Originally posted by DaizenLex
My question is this if i have 255/45/16 in the rear and 215/60/16 in the front will that give me bad handling? seems as if my car is so wobbly from left to right when im on the highway, and is that a bad setup? i have the daizen setup all done however im getting so much play horizontally any upgrades or suggestions will be helpfull. I have an SC400
I hope you aren't running stock wheels. I am no expert on wheels but 255/45/16 sounds dangerous. That tire isnt safe for even 8" wide wheels. The tire would have real hard time trying to seat on that rim.
Old 02-24-03, 07:26 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Horizontal play

Originally posted by Hermosa
I hope you aren't running stock wheels. I am no expert on wheels but 255/45/16 sounds dangerous. That tire isnt safe for even 8" wide wheels. The tire would have real hard time trying to seat on that rim.

Why? 255's are fine for an 8" wheel Hermosa....

- LL
Old 02-24-03, 06:58 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

actually check this out, my tires became completely flat one day and as i was trying to get out of the snow my rim started spinning inside the tire itself, i have the stock 16 inch rims the tires say not to mount on 8.5 or something like that, my car does pull to the right a little bit but i dont think that can be the problem it feels like i was having bad shocks and the car would wobble all around. But in a couplke of weeks im working on the eibach tokico setup any suggestions?
Old 02-24-03, 07:18 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

According to the Toyo fittment guide only 255/45 series can be fitted on 8" wide rims, any other 255 with a lower profile should be fitted on a minimum rim width of 8.5".

Correct tyre to rim widths must become more crucial with ultra low profile tyres as there is less give in the sidewalls which could cause the tread on a wide tyre fitted to a narrow rim to "balloon" causing uneven wear, poor contact and probably damage to the sidewall as it will be stressed in fashion for which it was not designed, taller sidewalls like the 45 profile must be able to cater for more variance in wheel widths.
Old 02-24-03, 08:17 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

ok bill perfect explanation , wish i understood it, do you think it is safe for me to drive on those ? plus they dont seem low profile, not for 16 inch rims at least, i see these tires fit usually on an 18 inch rim. i have the 10 spoke 16 inch chromes those i assume must be 8"
Old 02-24-03, 09:00 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Oh man if it went flat like that and you tried to roll on it, the sidewall or belts are probably damaged, and most likely that's what is causing your problem.

Originally posted by DaizenLex
actually check this out, my tires became completely flat one day and as i was trying to get out of the snow my rim started spinning inside the tire itself, i have the stock 16 inch rims the tires say not to mount on 8.5 or something like that, my car does pull to the right a little bit but i dont think that can be the problem it feels like i was having bad shocks and the car would wobble all around. But in a couplke of weeks im working on the eibach tokico setup any suggestions?
Old 02-24-03, 09:09 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Sounds like that's it TM. Daizen, your stock rims are 7" wide, not 8".
Old 02-24-03, 10:38 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Guys this can be dangerous. The tires are not mounting right on the rim and could slip.
Old 02-25-03, 05:01 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I suggest an investment in suitable sized tyres if you still have the factory 7" rims and 4wheel alignment would be prefferable to wasting money on suspension upgrades before you resolve the inherrent handling problems.

If you want wide rubber you need wider rims.

Last edited by London Bill; 02-25-03 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-25-03, 07:59 AM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

I would get those tires off as soon as possible. Very dangerous at high speeds.

Quick Reply: Horizontal play