SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY leather seat covers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 10:55 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

"I think that since the leather stretches over time..." That makes sense, but wouldn't donor couch leather already have that accounted for?

Would a thin sheet of foam padding suffice, or is it more a matter of using fabric adhesive to bond a bit of foam here and there as needed? I can't really tell how good my foam is because of how hard the leather has gotten.
Old 08-11-14, 11:05 AM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say you can do the latter, add foam to areas that have been compressed or dried out and disintegrated. As for the couch leather, it is probably worn in and if it's constructed like automotive leather, it should have a thin fabric sheet sewn in as a backing that keeps it for being pulled too much. At least in the SC's upholstery, there was a thin fabric sheet backing the leather to keep its overall shape and I guess to prevent sweat and light amounts of water from going through the leather and into the foam.
Old 08-11-14, 01:08 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I guess I'll see when I open both the seat and couch up what the condition of the foam and leather backing is, respectively... The Clazzio samples I received have that fabric backing sewn into the leather, like you described. I assume that's pretty standard.
Old 08-11-14, 10:33 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you go to a fabric shop, no names per rules you can by leather by the yard. Take your old covers off & use them as patterns to make your new seat covers, old singers work to sew the leather. add backing ETC. Or just pay 600 bucks and get custom made front & rear so they all match.
Old 08-11-14, 10:57 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
If you go to a fabric shop, no names per rules you can by leather by the yard. Take your old covers off & use them as patterns to make your new seat covers, old singers work to sew the leather. add backing ETC. Or just pay 600 bucks and get custom made front & rear so they all match.
That's pretty much exactly what I already outlined above, but using donor couches instead of bulk fabric store material. I'd be surprised if a fabric store has anything up to the task without jumping up a few price tiers.
Old 08-12-14, 06:28 AM
NomadJones
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pardon the intrusion, but I've got remarkably good seats on my '98 SC400 that I bought with 66K recently. Will I be able to preserve them by putting on seat covers or will they just disintegrate anyway? Any recommended brands?
Old 08-12-14, 07:34 AM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No point in having a nice leather interior if you're just going to cover them up. The key is basic maintenance. Clean and condition the leather at least once a year if not twice with a good leather conditioning product such as Leatherique or Lexol and it should last you for quite some time. Helps if your car is garaged when not being used as well. And at the very least, install a good brand UV/IR rejecting tint on your windows since that is what dries out the leather in the first place.
Old 08-14-14, 04:50 AM
tanooki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dougspeed - that site you linked to with the leather kits looks good. We don't have nearly as many options in Australia when it comes to leather seat covers, so I'm going to look into shipping a set over. Only problem is trying to match the color...they seem to have a dozen shades of every color. Does anyone here happen to know which of their grey colors matches the light grey leather in the spruce interior? It's hard to tell from the images, and monitors vary, but it at least appears that 'frost' or 'grey' is close.
Old 08-14-14, 09:37 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I have heard exactly the same that its a total PITA to get the leather covers on with the many hog rings that are under there, some say its not even worth doing but the finished product always looks like new though so its hard to say. It is going to be tough also making the leathers but it can be done, its basically what any upholstery shop would do if you took the car in.
Old 08-14-14, 11:27 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Not looking forward to a hog's PITA... However, there's no getting around that even with ready-made replacement covers (as opposed to slip-ons), unless paying the hefty fee to get an upholsterer to do it. I was quoted something like $700 for one seat by a local shop.

If sewing the leather panels together turns out to be too difficult, my friend said he knows a few people who do that sort of work on the side.

While I was working under the dash yesterday, more sections of my driver's seat tore away just from sliding down over the edge to peer up under the steering wheel. I don't have much time left before that leather turns to dust.
Old 08-14-14, 12:51 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

well at that cost to have 1 seat done ordering the leather and DIY installing is not that bad of an option. good luck with it interested to see the end product, I can't sew worth anything.
Old 08-14-14, 01:07 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I got stuck in Home-Ec class twice in middle school, so my sewing skills are above average for a dude.

However... I just got an email offer from eBay for $30 off (future coupon) any $150+ purchase, and let me tell you, I'm a sucker for a promotional discount. So, now I'm wondering if I should just do the Clazzio front seat slip-ons for a little under $200... (Correction, a little under $250.) Or, it could be a good excuse to give the M2 Performance axleback exhaust a try for right around that $200 mark. Decisions, decisions!

Last edited by t2d2; 08-14-14 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-14-14, 02:04 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I am seeing 450 on ebay for the full set, is just the front set less?
Old 08-14-14, 02:08 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Yeah, I got a quote from one of the sellers a couple months back of $275 for just the front row. I have the beige perforated leather sample and the quality seems really good, but the color match is just shy of lousy. I may inquire again about a two-tone (no extra charge but an 8-10 wk lead time, I believe) color scheme along the lines of my DIY idea. I hadn't considered that route at the time.
Old 08-15-14, 05:58 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I just found this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6556877-post38.html

That's the basic look I'm going for, but with the colors flipped.

Another idea I had is to use the nice white leather for the whole thing, but to try dying the panels used for the bolsters and seat cushion sides. That eliminates having to find a 2nd donor couch, gives me more control of the color, and ensures the highest quality materials throughout.

Quick Reply: DIY leather seat covers?