SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

PS fluid is foamy, leaking, noisy when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-03, 02:32 PM
ataie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PS fluid is foamy, leaking, noisy when cold

my 93 SC400 power steering has started to leak, it's noisy specially when cold, and it's extremely foamy. I have to add the fluid while it's running to push the foam out.

I was looking for a used pump to replace it, but was told it could be the 'control valve' also called pressure valve on the rack & pinion which would cause the fluid to be turbulant and foamy. now what? should I still replace the pump or what? I really don't want to take it to a Lexus dealer and want to make sure my cheap dependable mechanic can fix it.

thanks,

PS: I have 138k miles on mine and it still looks and runs like a new car
Old 02-25-03, 02:47 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

You can contact TAP recycling. They sell some quality used parts. Be careful of the leaking fluid. That tends to be a common problem on these cars and can ruin your alternator. The fluid leaks down on it and then you have to replace the alternator too. Not pretty. Good luck and get it fixed quick
Old 02-25-03, 03:25 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

airation would be the problem. but i doubt i spelled that correctly. same problem as in an auto transmission. Something is allowing air into the system. no joke about that alt, i would find a heavy towel and lay it onto the alt under the p/s unit and wait for a new unit to be put on, if you drive it, you are going to be asking for a few hundred more in repairs to the alt, which surely already has p/s fluid in it, and thats not good.
Old 02-25-03, 04:52 PM
FLex
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same symptoms of loud noises and p/s fluid leaking. I kept putting it off until the p/s went out going around a sharp turn. Scared me enough to order a new p/s pump and reservoir from Carson Toyota. I put it in myself which was not too difficult.
Old 02-25-03, 05:30 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably have a leak but are then putting too much fluid in and then it froths up.
Old 02-26-03, 02:03 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

I have a siliar problem. The power steering pump occasionally makes a really loud noise when turning the wheels. I have checked the pump and it is not leaking, but the fluid is foamy like described before. is this an early indication of power steering pump failure?
Old 02-26-03, 02:08 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

or steering rack failure, take your pick.
Old 02-26-03, 02:24 PM
ataie
Driver School Candidate

so basically, we don't know if it's the pump or the rack correct??? let's change the pump first and if that didn't fix the problem go for the rack.... this would be over a $1000 easy even used parts.

so any ideas before we just start changing parts??? steering is noisy and fluid is pretty foamy.
Old 02-26-03, 02:36 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

blame the pump first, then move on. hey if nothing else it cant go wrong for a long time if its new parts when your done i call it an investment.
Old 02-26-03, 04:52 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

We can go round and round, pump, rack, pump, rack, ad infinitum.

As yet I never heard of a Soarer/SC rack going down across three continents (there will always be a first time), so the odds are your pump needs overhaul/replacement.

Order a pump overhaul kit from the dealers, strip and rebuild pump (1.5hrs). BLEED the new pump after fitting by turning the wheels lock to lock several times with the engine running, holding it for a few seconds on each lock, each time topping up the fluid until you remove all "froth", this operation can take 10/15 mins.

If you still have frothing after that then at least you will have cured the leak and saved the alt from terminal damage.

Instructions for stripping P/S pump are on my site.
Old 02-28-03, 07:13 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE, first try to remove the metal filter in the bottom of your PS pump reservoir. This is what went wrong in my car, the metal filter became clogged after 10 years and 132K on it. This made it impossible for the power steering fluid to run freely into the pump, therefore causing a whining noise. By removing the filter, you will allow free flow into the pump, however you do take a small risk of damaging the pump, if there a large particles in the fluid. But if you plan to change the pump anyway, then try this. I am running with no filter with no problems at all.
I suppose you could remove the filter to test if fluid flow is the problem, and if it is, you could simply order a new reservoir from the dealer(which should come with a new filter on bottom). Don't try just ordering a new filter, it is nearly impossible to put back into the bottle. It folds up in half like a taco, and won't flatten out.

Chris
93 SC300