SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: What should i do?
Work on the 1993 Sc400 and make it into a show stopper !
65.52%
Wait 3 more years and buy yourself a 1998 SC400
34.48%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

I just need your opinions,

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-03, 08:22 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I just need your opinions,

Please dont say "Up to your discretion" i want your opinion on this. My Black 93 Sc400 mechanically is in outstanding condition , im debating whether i want to start work on this car or wait 3 or so years and purchase myself a 98 sc, im a perfectionist so everything bothers me. The interior looks like it was tore up and put back together in example, the inside of the doors is loose the speaker covers all of themm are torn out, so more or less i have to replace the whole interior, i wanted black anyway, next is a body kit and a repaint to the infinity gunmetal grey metalic and not to mention a set of rims. Im assuming this will cost me in excess of $4k, or more what would you do if you were in my shoes, i dont have money to dash out i preety much work 1 month and save. So im looking for this to be a year project. Now my question is how much will a brand new interior cost me seats dasshboard carpet roofliner everything, please be very criticizing i will appreciate it. I dont know how to post this where i can get the most opinion but please place it where you see fit.
Old 02-25-03, 08:28 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you want the extra power, keep this gurl!!! You can always change a couple things and have yourself a 98 minus the engine of coarse. I got a 92 that was kind of screwed up, and minus painting it which is what I wanted to do, I got a body kit, rims, put over 3g's into the interior repairs, did it all myself, and bam, brand new car. Just take care of it and your 93 will take care of you
Old 02-25-03, 11:01 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i would wait
Old 02-26-03, 02:49 AM
TxLexus
Driver

I agree with Sxylex.
3 years is a long time to wait if your not happy with your car.

You can start gathering parts from 97+ and when you have everything on hand. Bam! you got a fresh looking car without spending the big bucks.

Like you I have a SC4 with 200k, its mechanically very good.
Paint and interior is very good. I already have 19's. I am looking to freshen up the look. I am keeping my eyes on good deals for 97+ parts.

good luck
Old 02-26-03, 03:20 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Daizen,

You want a show stoppepr eh? Well, I know that the Auto Couture kit may be a tad on the expensive side but whack that on (or a Vertex kit) and you're on your way!

You asked for critical, I'll try to be critical (actually, what I would do for a show car anyway ). Both kits have lines similar to the 97+ SC anyway (the AC kit looks more like it though), and give it a nice paintjob (not a wild colour, but a nice colour that looks 'deep' if you know what I mean).

Nicely drop it on some slick 19's like (some examples):

Dronell, Work Rezax II and Mahdi TS-5

Drop in a full tilt ICE system with DVD such as the touch-screen Kenwood, Pioneer etc...

Add some performance mods such as a supercharger (or whatever you choose)...

Prices... These prices are quotes in AUSSIE dollars, so half the price for US (or around that price anyway)...

Engine: Supercharger (approx. $5K), exhaust ($1K), BFI inlet mod (15... DOLLARS!), ECU ($4.5K)
Driveline: Stall converter (dunno price)
Suspension: JIC coilovers ($2.7K)
Rims: 19" Work Rezax II (approx. $6K w/ tyres)
Bodywork: Paintjob ($3~4K, showcar finish), AC kit ($3.5K), 97+ tails ($400/pr), HID kit ($1K)
Interior: Full custom leather retrim ($4K), blue illumination for dash/console/etc. (approx. $200 and yes it can be done, on the JDM's anyway)
ICE: In-dash DVD/monitor unit ($3K), comp speakers eg. 6.5" Pioneer bullets ($500), comp sub eg. Pioneer ($400)

And you're on your way... well it's a start

Just some ideas... or import a JDM Soarer 2.5GT ok maybe I'm being a lil biased there
Old 02-26-03, 07:42 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

Guys thanks allot for your opinions i think im going to work on this one and laater on down the line have two SC's, im going to strip her interior completely and all other things in the summer in about a year wam bam ill be winning awards hopefully. How much do you think a customized interior is? im guessing around 1500? and what is this auto coutuer kit your talking about? any suggestions on colors i was thinking a 97 royal blue or a gunmetal metalic silver
Old 02-26-03, 11:27 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

[IMG]www.evolution.co.jp/autocouture/lexus/uzz30/sc400r.jpg[/IMG]
Auto Couture kit

Last edited by BLK13X; 02-26-03 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-27-03, 12:49 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to redo your interior in another color you can search the junk yards for crashed a SC that has a perfect interior (good luck! If you find one, let me know if you don't buy it!) You might need to find several cars and pick and choose the good parts.

To get new parts will put you over $4K ALONE for the interior...dash, both upper door panels, door arm rests, both lower door panels glove compartment, center console, carpet, both door window trims, both rear sail panels, rear deck, all seat skins, headliner, shifter, steering wheel, air bag, head rests...PLUS LABOR....hehehe, don't believe me, go price it out...but make sure you're sitting down first.

A REAL complete color change paint job will cost you AT LEAST $2700 from any decent shop (unless you have a serious hookup). It is a LOT of work and a lot of your car needs to be torn apart...pop out the windshield, the rear window, the side windows, pull out the all the door trim, take off all the rubber seals, etc., etc...then it needs to prepped (old paint stripped off with sand paper), primered and sanded, then painted, clearcoated, sanded again (lots of sanding = man hours)...unless you want a "Earl Schib" $199 paint job..."Masking? What's that?!"

The other recommendation is to sell your SC and get the one with the right color interior. It's cheaper to do a full strip down paint job in a color you want than it is to redo your interior the "right" way. No need to get a '98...there is nothing wrong with a clean '92-'96 and they can be had for much less than a '98 SC (in similar shape...) You just need to find one with LOW miles that has been taken care of...$10,000-$15,000 should find you some decent ones.

Personally, I'd rather have a super clean inside and out "bone stock" SC than a ricketty (sp?) torn up pieced together SC that looks kinda good from the outside from 50 feet away....

Now once you get that, THEN you mod it...the way I see, it's better to start with a excellent base car and then mod it rather than mickey mouse together a beaten car...at least the excellent modded car will last and you will really be satisfied with that because you know everything is "good"...

Last edited by Manaray; 02-27-03 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-27-03, 07:44 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

that ac kit is redicoulus and my car mechanically is perfect and plus i feel i can get practice out of working on this one and when my perfect one comes along ill just exchange all the aftermarket parts. I found the complete interior on a junkyard for 800 is that a goood price?
Old 02-28-03, 12:49 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Daizen,
Do you mean the kit as a whole or the drop-top conversion? If you're worried about the drop-top conversion then don't, as it's not part of the AC kit!
Old 02-28-03, 01:56 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What does that $800 include? If it's the entire interior (upper and lower dash, center console, door panels, sail panels, lower sail panels, rear deck, front and rear seats, etc., etc..., I would say HELL YEAH. If you don't buy it, I will...

As for the AutoCouture kit...this is what the kit looks like...I think it's frickin' STUPID of AutoCouture to show the convertable conversion Soarer on their website...

Last edited by Manaray; 02-28-03 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-28-03, 12:23 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Gotta luv that AC manny, hope it looks good in silver...
Old 02-28-03, 01:08 PM
BAZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BETTER STILL BUY A UZ32 AND WATCH THE CAR INCREASE IN VALUE.
Old 03-01-03, 05:59 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

You mean the engine with more HP? UZ32 and what do you mean increase in value thats not possible unless its a classic. Ye manaray theres a couple of lexus's that are here on the junkyard 5 of them i believe 2 400's and 3 300's im buying the high beams tommorow for 100 both. Crystal clear
Old 07-21-06, 12:08 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

It's been three years since this thread was started?

Way to search Memphisacc!!!