SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How To Remove Dash Kits After Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-03, 07:57 AM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How To Remove Dash Kits After Installed

I have done numerous searches here on what is the best way to remove stick on wood trim kits. The SC I bought already had a woodtrim kit installed. I want to install CF instead. But, I'm not sure on how to actually remove it. You can't really use a heat gun cause the kit is on my stereo, climate control, and various other plastic pieces. My fear is that a heat gun would melt things (which I don't want that now do I.lol). My only thought was to put a towel over the stuff then shoot the heat gun on the towel. Hopefully I'm thinking that will not heat things up to much. I have posted this question in various other dash kit threads with no useful reply's yet. I'm positive somebody has removed one or knows how to remove one, WILL THAT PERSON HELP ME......

Thanks guys
Vinnie
Old 02-26-03, 09:06 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bladez,

No real good way of removing it in most cases. They ruin the dash underneath. You can just rip it off if you plan on getting a different kit. This will leave an ugly scar underneath. Using a blowdrier you may be able to loosen the adhesive enough to not look too bad.

Good Luck

MW
Old 02-26-03, 09:10 AM
kmn5
Lead Lap

maybe wait till the summer...?
cause the interior can be over 100 degress after the cars sits in the sun.
The adhesive should be softest and weakest then....
Old 02-26-03, 10:04 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

try and find a product called ALSOL in your area. it is an adhesive remover used in the auto body trade. with a razor blade and ALSOL the process will be effortless. otherwise your only solution is heat and a razor blade and a low setting on a blow dryer.
Old 02-26-03, 10:23 AM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

i just replaced my wood dash kit with a much higher quality one, which im very pleased with. all i did was take an old flat head screwdriver (rounded off from wear and tear) and pried it up. it took me about a half hour to get everything off, and i just laid the new kit in place where the old one was.
Old 02-26-03, 10:47 AM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Post Show us your kit!

kylesc400,
Which high quality kit did you end up with?
And could you please provide pics of your new installed kit ?

Last edited by EmeraldLexuSC3; 02-26-03 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-26-03, 11:53 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even if you can remove the glue off with heat gun most dash kits come with this "prep fluid" sometimes that comes in a stick glue looking thing that "cleans" the surface and "prepares" it. This actually damages the finishing alot! so you may still have plenty of maks left over when you remove it.
Old 02-26-03, 02:49 PM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

Waiting till summer seems to be my best option..even though i wanted to get it off sooner, but what ya gonna do..

Anyway thanks a lot guys
Old 02-26-03, 05:27 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

emerald, i bought one of those giant ones off ebay. i only put on the center console inserts (not the trim that goes around it tho), the sunroof controls, and the window control inserts. it came with pieces that cover EVERYTHING, but i thought it was way too tacky with everything on. the wood pattern and color are the closest match ive ever seen out of a dash kit, the only thing keeping it from being a near perfect match is the gloss - but i plan on remedying that by polishing up my stock wood trim to match the kit. if you run a search on ebay for 'huge lexus dash', youll come across one that sells for $199. this is what i have and am very pleased, the comparison between this and my old $100 kit is like night and day. im making a website for/about my car and ill have pictures up soon enough
Old 02-26-03, 07:05 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Kyle, I think it looks great with the console surround piece installed. You do realize their kit is a synthetic wood, right?
Old 02-26-03, 08:31 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

yep, but its the best match ive ever seen out of one of these dash kits (for our cars, anyway). i know they make real wood dash kits for over $400, but ive never seen one for an sc, so i went with the best that i could find.
Old 02-26-03, 10:15 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Several companies make real wood kits for the SC, just received one of them, but I have to admit that ebay kit has some pcs i've never seen before, if you say the quality and match are excellent then i'm thinking i'll pick one up for those funky extra pcs it comes with, just wish they made 'em in real wood. Kyle, what year SC do you have that it matches so well? If they only make one kit for 92-2K, then it will probably match the 92-97 better than the later years, the wood is different and most of these manufacturers don't seem to want to admit that. Do you have any left over pcs you don't plan to use that you might sell me?
Old 02-27-03, 06:50 AM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

ive got a 96 sc4. id be willing to sell you my extra pieces, but if you plan on putting a different kit in your car, i don't know how well they will match that kit. what ive got left over: all the parts that cover the vents (doors and console vents), as well as those two really big pieces that cover the trim around the console. if youre interested, shoot me a pm. ill take pictures before selling anything to you as i dont want to send you something that you arent sure is going to match another kit.
Old 03-04-03, 08:56 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Default Wood dash kit READ

Hey people,
The facts are, the best wood dash kit for the SC series is the one on ebay, its sold be "accesory seller" and it would be listed under "sc dash kit huge" BUT when you install, you must be extremely cautious, the most troublesome spots are the Shift section, the radio and the climate control section... the biggest three pieces, if it isnt alligned PERFECTLY, buttons will stick, the shift responder lights will not line up with the holes, ect. I unfortunately did not align mine perfectly (so very close tho) my only choice is to reorder those three pieces and start over again. My recomendation is to make sure its perfectly aligned over the buttons as opposed to the edges of the panel first.
Old 03-04-03, 09:09 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Wood dash kit READ

Originally posted by SC400-V8
Hey people,
The facts are, the best wood dash kit for the SC series is the one on ebay, its sold be "accesory seller" and it would be listed under "sc dash kit huge" BUT when you install, you must be extremely cautious, the most troublesome spots are the Shift section, the radio and the climate control section... the biggest three pieces, if it isnt alligned PERFECTLY, buttons will stick, the shift responder lights will not line up with the holes, ect. I unfortunately did not align mine perfectly (so very close tho) my only choice is to reorder those three pieces and start over again. My recomendation is to make sure its perfectly aligned over the buttons as opposed to the edges of the panel first.
Welcome to CL.

The best kit is the one that fits your need. Somepeople want cheap, others want the factory matched kit, while some members on here put wood dash pieces on that are not even close.

When applying the kit, there are several techniques to getting it perfect. Haste makes waste.

MW

Quick Reply: How To Remove Dash Kits After Installed