SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Slipped a bit a few times under WOT, Is my A340 tranny going?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 04:53 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Slipped a bit a few times under WOT, Is my A340 tranny going?

My 95' Sc400 auto transmission seems to behave normally except a few times, under wide open throttle, it seems to do what I'd guess is called "slipping" but just the tiniest bit and it's barely noticeable and only when flooring it. It''s generally so mild, I'd have to ask myself if I actually felt anything different at all.This only happened a few times since I've had the car and only under the hardest of acceleration. This morning, I floored it merging onto the highway, the RPM's went up but the car didn't catch on for about quarter of a second. It caught right on but this was the most noticeable it has ever been. I was perfect for the rest of the day as it usually is. If it makes a difference, the motor had reached normal operating temperature, but the transmission was likely still cold. Is my tranny going, or does it just need service? I checked the fluid today, it seemed normal. Should I drain and fill or something, or just leave it alone. It seems to be perfect otherwise as long as I don't floor it.
Old 10-21-14, 06:45 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

I have no idea if it would help, but you could try upping the A/T line pressure by adjusting its throttle cable in the engine bay. I can't remember which direction you turn it to tighten, but it should be obvious once you give it a spin or two. It's right alongside the accelerator cable, the one further from the firewall. The descriptions on how to adjust it were pretty vague, but if I take a peek at mine I would probably remember what I ended up doing...

You did the A/T solenoid bypass, right? Did you by any chance install a toggle to switch it on and off? If so, you could try it both ways to see if what you're feeling is the solenoid trying to smooth out a shift.
Old 10-21-14, 07:22 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

It is a known fact that these trannies rarely fail on their own undr 200k. How many miles?
Except abuse voids any facts on these trannies.
Old 10-21-14, 08:00 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Possible that your feeling a misfire. For the longer miss, that could just be the trans having a brain fart, my suburban does this sometimes.

Have you changed the fluid and filter? Check for shavings and other debris, this will tell you what may possibly be going on.
Old 10-22-14, 03:04 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Oops! I may have had Trac control on as well. That makes the car do strange things when you floor it. I've got to remember to turn that little "fun ruiner" off!