SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

does anyone know what these are?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-14, 03:05 PM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone know what these are?

Hello everyone, i did a few Google searches on these but nothing came up other than people selling them. I would like to know what they are, what they do and if they are necessary for the car to work. They are behind the glove box and one says power steering on it and the other says cooling fan, why would hydraulic systems need computers to control them? Also what's the one to the right of the cooling fan, its not labled. Thank you
Old 10-24-14, 03:11 PM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

Default My phone never posts the pictures

Old 10-24-14, 03:34 PM
dogwisper
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Left to right power steering ecu, cooling fan ecu and engine control module ecu...you can just Google the part numbers or go to the Sewell website for part descriptions with part numbers that are known. I just Googled them and they had a part description. The power steering has a variable rate depending on your vehicle speed that makes steering tighter at higher speeds to give more feel for the road. You definitely need the engine control module ecu or everything goes down. As for the others why would you want to get rid of them? I would say don't keep yourself up nights trying to re-engineer this car unless you have a LOT of free time.
Old 10-24-14, 03:39 PM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

its my track car, I'm trying to make it as light as possible.
Old 10-24-14, 04:08 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 236 Likes on 215 Posts

I thought that far right one was the main ECU at first, as well. The connectors and basic shape look very similar. But that's it down below, sort of bottom left alongside the ABS computer. I don't know what that top right one is, but you can usually find answers easiest by plugging part numbers into eBay searches.
Old 10-24-14, 04:36 PM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

I found out what they were by searching the part numbers, but my main question is which ones are needed for the car to function. I've seen when people swap 1uz's into different cars and all I see them using is the main ecu.
Old 10-24-14, 09:58 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, the misinformation being posted these days...

The three boxes pictured are chassis and transmission control. Left to right as pictured: Power steering (not needed for a track car if you know how to drive, I wouldn't want an "assistant" varying my steering based on speed), Fan control (really want to keep the stock cooling system on a track car?) and transmission control module (more below).

sc4shelby, if this is a track only car and you will not be using a/c, abs, heater, stock fans or cooling system, stock audio etc., rip it all out. However, if your going to stick with the stock auto trans, keep the trans control module, it should tap back into the primary ecu harness. The main engine ecu is mounted on the passenger side floor in the foot well close to the transmission tunnel and front firewall.

But if your not going to use the auto trans, you can pull it out. The rest of the items are "chassis' control items, and have no effect on the engine (only).

Also when doing searches on part numbers (and this tip is for everyone, especially if your posting incorrect info) is to search Toyota, not Lexus..i.e.- toyota 89630-24020 reveals its a trans control module. Not sure its direct role with the transmission, you would have to ask one of the SC400 OG's here on the forum, but I think it has something to do with Traction control and I would guess that your car does have TRAC.
Old 10-24-14, 11:22 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Wow, the misinformation being posted these days...

Also when doing searches on part numbers (and this tip is for everyone, especially if your posting incorrect info)...
I think you overreacted a bit. dogwisper had two of the three right and I already corrected him/her on the third.
Old 10-24-14, 11:25 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Not an over reaction at all, just a fix with a clear statement not to post wrong info. Simply stating if you don't know what it is, don't guess, research it and then post.
Old 10-25-14, 12:11 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Not an over reaction at all, just a fix with a clear statement not to post wrong info. Simply stating if you don't know what it is, don't guess, research it and then post.
I wasn't asking for your opinion whether you thought you were over-reacting ... the answer to that would have been obvious. But when you post something like this, clearly something is bothering you and leading to responses with more venom than you probably intended.

"I agree with MongooseGA, I feel it may be time for me to move on to a new chassis to avoid the fanboy craze of the FR Japanese cars that bring this garbage into a technical section of a forum."
Old 10-25-14, 11:30 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Nothing bothering me at all. Sorry I hurt your feelings. I won't correct any further incorrect information posted on clublexus.com, or assist those trying to learn. I am apparently to harsh and out spoken for the sensativity of someone's feelings on the Internet cause some can determine "tone" from text. And as for the quoted bit, sorry if I find it ignorant for one to admit they almost hit someone while discussing cars, not my fault I grew up years ago.

OP sorry for the on going complaints on how I assured you were given clear correct information about the car you just purchased and are learning about.
Old 10-28-14, 09:06 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Turbodremz no need to apologize, you corrected misinformation.

Mongoose and Turbo are right unfortunately the SC community seems to be holding to the last of a dying breed of true enthusiasts and more fanboys are coming.

Really hope more OG''s stay and not leave because of the new incoming crowd.
Old 10-29-14, 07:40 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe we should have an OG section for us only. I have alot of trouble getting the milleniulls to listen. Remember patience is a virtue. Advice can be given , but not always taken.