SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Are Stock SC400 Really Slow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-14, 12:13 AM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are Stock SC400 Really Slow?

It's a fair enough question I think. I bought my first SC last March and several times while reading through threads I've seen people refer to the stock SC400 as 'slow'. Generally this is almost always followed by a suggestion to do a swap.

While I'm now on my 3rd SC (this one being the best of the 3), I honestly can't see why people say this car is slow. After doing jumping the diagnostic port to bypass the fp ecu and ridding my car of the minor hesitation issues, this thing flies. Power is always available and the lightest touch of the peddle gets a response. That being said, while my first one had a tendency to shut off at the light all the time and gave me several other problems I couldn't manage to fix before I lost her, that thing flew too and I took it to 140 on several spirited outings.

Now while I do understand there are plenty of levels to what's considered fast, I believe for a naturally aspirated car, despite how heavy they are, they're plenty fast. I can't honestly see myself swapping a turbo in here for the sake of going faster. Something about knowing that V8 is under the hood running like a well oiled machine makes me not want to even think the turbo route.

I know this forum is heavy on swapping but is there anyone else that wouldn't trade their V8 for a turbocharged engine?
Old 10-25-14, 05:47 AM
phillup23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well depends what years we're talking about. All in all they're not slow but neither fast. I just see them as being quick. If that make sense. Lol. My car has been having problems lately and hasn't been driven for awhile. One day went to fill her up and on the way back decided to put the pedal all the way down just to remind how awesome these machines are. (: very pleased with it without a turbo.
Old 10-25-14, 07:54 AM
Timd234
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuscfour
It's a fair enough question I think. I bought my first SC last March and several times while reading through threads I've seen people refer to the stock SC400 as 'slow'. Generally this is almost always followed by a suggestion to do a swap.

While I'm now on my 3rd SC (this one being the best of the 3), I honestly can't see why people say this car is slow. After doing jumping the diagnostic port to bypass the fp ecu and ridding my car of the minor hesitation issues, this thing flies. Power is always available and the lightest touch of the peddle gets a response. That being said, while my first one had a tendency to shut off at the light all the time and gave me several other problems I couldn't manage to fix before I lost her, that thing flew too and I took it to 140 on several spirited outings.

Now while I do understand there are plenty of levels to what's considered fast, I believe for a naturally aspirated car, despite how heavy they are, they're plenty fast. I can't honestly see myself swapping a turbo in here for the sake of going faster. Something about knowing that V8 is under the hood running like a well oiled machine makes me not want to even think the turbo route.

I know this forum is heavy on swapping but is there anyone else that wouldn't trade their V8 for a turbocharged engine?
I love my v8 400....but I must ask, how did you do the bypass? I've been wanting to do the same thing. Is there a thread for it?
Old 10-25-14, 08:12 AM
phillup23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Timd234
I love my v8 400....but I must ask, how did you do the bypass? I've been wanting to do the same thing. Is there a thread for it?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/551125-the-definitive-guide-to-fixing-sc400-hesitation-issues.html great post
Old 10-25-14, 08:21 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I had an xB before this, so this is the fastest car I've ever owned lol since it's my second. I think it's plenty quick and I'm most likely never gonna SC/Turbo it. I'll do my best to get more power NA like headers, ported intake and maybe heads, exhaust work, and a manual swap, but that's about it. Car is plenty fast as it is.
Old 10-25-14, 08:48 AM
phillup23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldManTan
I had an xB before this, so this is the fastest car I've ever owned lol since it's my second. I think it's plenty quick and I'm most likely never gonna SC/Turbo it. I'll do my best to get more power NA like headers, ported intake and maybe heads, exhaust work, and a manual swap, but that's about it. Car is plenty fast as it is.
how reliable is a xb? Also do your or anyone know the most anybody has made on a sc400 na? Want to make 300 hp but really don't want to get in turbos and supers. Since I know nothing about that. Lol
Old 10-25-14, 10:10 AM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

To the OP, I believe that most people that feel the sc400 is "slow" are speaking in regards to acceleration of the vehicle not so much how "fast" it is. So in their opinion the vehicle is not quick (quickest and fastest are 2 different things) .

From an outside perspective only factoring in how quickly the vehicle accelerates I can understand what they mean when compared to other newer vehicles the car doesn't really... pin you back like some newer cars. (I work at a job which I've been able to drive many cars including: ISF, camaro ZL1, vette ZR1, challenger SRT8, 997 turbo, STis, EVO X, etc. ) That being said, for how heavy the vehicle is and how old it is, they do still move at quite a brisk pace.
Old 10-25-14, 10:12 AM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

@phillup23, if you have a 92-97 here's a nicely set up list https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...arts-list.html

there are other mods, but this was the nicest "list"
Old 10-25-14, 10:16 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't believe the SC400 is slow. It can produce horsepower if you ask it too, with the expense of gas mileage though. The SC300 on the other hand is slow AF stock.
Old 10-25-14, 10:53 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I drove a 99 SC400 once and it was pretty quick! It was way faster than my SC300.

It won't keep up with a Supra or a Corvette but it gets the job done.
Old 10-25-14, 03:31 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I have a few bolt-on mods done (headers, exhast, LSD, BFI, etc) to my '99 and the car is plenty quick/fast/whatever. Will only get faster when I throw in an R154
Old 10-25-14, 03:49 PM
phillup23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3L4jzz31
@phillup23, if you have a 92-97 here's a nicely set up list https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...arts-list.html

Thanks! Seen the post before. Def good stuff.
Old 10-25-14, 05:42 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
^ I have a few bolt-on mods done (headers, exhast, LSD, BFI, etc) to my '99 and the car is plenty quick/fast/whatever. Will only get faster when I throw in an R154
Having a 5-speed helps a lot. My friend had a W58 in his 97 SC400 and it was pretty fast. I'd love to have a 98+ SC400 with an R154.
Old 10-25-14, 09:41 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Edit: I just learned the A340E from the SC300 and SC400 is the same unit used in 1JZ-GTE cars and 2JZ-GTE Aristos and Supra TT's. I thought it was the lesser A341E. Still, a manual swap is going to be better, though there is also getting a Level Ten rebuild or installing a Suprastick controller.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-25-14 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-26-14, 07:59 PM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3L4jzz31

I've seen this list before. The things on that list are the only mods i would consider doing and only to get close to 98+ numbers (I have a 95).

Quick Reply: Are Stock SC400 Really Slow?