SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Paint.. lets talk.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-14, 11:37 AM
pur4orm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint.. lets talk.

I m n the process of getting a new paint job. Im looking at candy paint and I hear it may be a high maintenance thing meaning if I get a little scratch, I will have to repaint the whole car, not just the spot. My question is, does anyone know if there is a clear, scratch-proof laminate that I can protect it with ( like the stuff they use on football helmets. Any suggestions?
Old 11-12-14, 12:07 PM
SourLex
Rookie

Well Ive heard a lot about 3M™ Scotchgard Paint Protection Film. You cant protect your new paint job forever , at some point in time it will happen. I suggest just learning how to sand and buff out scratches or find a good detailing guy in your area if this ever happens.
Old 11-12-14, 01:14 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by pur4orm
Im looking at candy paint and I hear it may be a high maintenance thing meaning if I get a little scratch, I will have to repaint the whole car, not just the spot.
That is exactly what I had been told by good painters / shops I have been through canvassing costs of paint jobs for my Red Mamba One.

I was told that those candy paint jobs are best suited for show cars cause they are expensive to get done and maintain eventually if you get scratches.

The worst part is , a car with a very good paint job attracts the attention of a??holes who will try to intentionally scratch up / key in your car. If you have such a car, never leave your eyes / sight away from it.
Old 11-12-14, 02:30 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Repaint the car a factory color.....makes it much easier to touch up.....

You could go with a new toyota or lexus color....If i ever repaint my car I will go that route
Old 11-12-14, 04:15 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Repaint the car a factory color.....makes it much easier to touch up.....

You could go with a new toyota or lexus color....If i ever repaint my car I will go that route
i'm probably just gonna paint mine some generic white as well. the cheapest OEM color i can find.
Old 11-12-14, 05:00 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Back in the day, we had a bullet proof paint called IMRON, I can't remember if it was a Ditzler product or PPG, but it was very hard to scratch or damage. Not sure if it's still around, but would be expensive anyway. Most "Candies" have Pearl overcoat and laid on in multiple layers, thus making repairs to it rather extensive. If you plan on driving this car to the mall, I suggest you go with just a good base coat/ clearcoat urethane paint for easier maintanence & repair.
Old 11-12-14, 05:33 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd just stick with an OEM color.
Old 11-12-14, 06:44 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
That is exactly what I had been told by good painters / shops I have been through canvassing costs of paint jobs for my Red Mamba One.

I was told that those candy paint jobs are best suited for show cars cause they are expensive to get done and maintain eventually if you get scratches.

The worst part is , a car with a very good paint job attracts the attention of a??holes who will try to intentionally scratch up / key in your car. If you have such a car, never leave your eyes / sight away from it.
This, if you're gonna get it repainted I'd shy away from a candy coat for that exact reason. Aim for something that will come with less headaches, head to the detailing section of this forum or DetailingBliss.com and learn about paint sealants, regardless of if you get it candy or go with something more subtle you'll want to know how best to protect your paint. I wouldn't put a solid film over anything I just spent a couple grand getting painted. What's the point of having a nice finish if you cover it up. Instead look into some good paint sealants, or get yourself on a steady clay/wax/wash regimen with lots of time in he garage.
Old 11-12-14, 07:24 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Paint protection films will prevent scratches in the clearcoat, you are correct.

The best films on the market that I know of are SunTek, Xpel, and 3M.

To do a full car is going to run you in the neighborhood of $4000-$7000 depending on installer rates, film type, etc. Not cheap.

Here's what I will say about film, it's a great product to protect from chips, scratches, etc... the installer at our shop has done plenty "full coverage" wraps where the entire car is clear bra'd....usually it's some sort of crazy exotic or a car that's really special to someone.

Don't think that the film is set-it-and-forget-it type product, it's not. You have to maintain it just like paint (meaning regular washing and so forth, there are even special coatings used to protect the film just like they protect clearcoat (Opti-Coat, CQuartz, Modesta, 22PLE, etc.). You cannot buff film either, so keep that in mind.

Although the film has alot of benefits, the downside to it is that it's more vulnerable to some elements than paint. For example, once the film gets etched by bug splatter or a bird dropping, or an oil drop, the film is done for, there's nothing you can do to correct the damage besides peel it off and have it completely redone. Seems pretty easy right? Only issue with film removal is it isn't the easiest thing to do in the world and you will have a difficult time finding someone who is even willing to do it, let alone on a repainted car (something 9/10 people in the business will NOT agree to do because of the liability involved). I've torn paint off of repainted Lamborghinis, it's not a fun experience, but a definite eye opener.
Old 11-12-14, 08:16 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Originally Posted by SourLex
Well Ive heard a lot about 3M™ Scotchgard Paint Protection Film. You cant protect your new paint job forever , at some point in time it will happen. I suggest just learning how to sand and buff out scratches or find a good detailing guy in your area if this ever happens.
Thanks, im going to look into scotchgard tomorrow.
Old 11-12-14, 08:28 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Default thanks.

I appreciate the input. "Candy" is out, makes no sense to spend the money. I think im going to stick with the red.
Old 11-12-14, 08:55 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
Back in the day, we had a bullet proof paint called IMRON, I can't remember if it was a Ditzler product or PPG, but it was very hard to scratch or damage. Not sure if it's still around, but would be expensive anyway. Most "Candies" have Pearl overcoat and laid on in multiple layers, thus making repairs to it rather extensive. If you plan on driving this car to the mall, I suggest you go with just a good base coat/ clearcoat urethane paint for easier maintanence & repair.
Imron was by DuPont. You can still get it. Because it's softer, it doesn't rock chip as easily so it's a favorite of truckers and aircraft owners
Old 11-12-14, 10:37 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, been along time since I used the stuff. Glad to here they still make it.
Old 11-13-14, 11:12 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Default The paint is a go

These r the paint chips I was looking at. I know a lot of people dont like the 'candy" paint cuz its pricey, life is pricey. Im going with tbe "o so sexy". Contacted DuPont too. Its a go fellas.
Attached Thumbnails Paint.. lets talk.-20141113_194444.jpg   Paint.. lets talk.-20141113_194216.jpg   Paint.. lets talk.-20141113_194132.jpg   Paint.. lets talk.-20141113_193604.jpg   Paint.. lets talk.-20141113_193448.jpg  

Old 11-13-14, 11:18 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Default a couple more

The wineberry is killer over silver or gold.
Attached Thumbnails Paint.. lets talk.-20141113_193407.jpg   Paint.. lets talk.-20141113_193201.jpg