SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY stubby antenna mast?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-14, 02:15 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Why weigh in at all if you're in an area that doesn't lack for reception and you consider looks more important than radio signal? How is that at all pertinent to this thread?
Because the thread was titled "DIY stubby antenna mast" and your first post was about replacing the broken power antenna with a stubby one that didnt cost an arm and a leg and you mentioned nothing about bad reception until halfway down the page. Where you live may have crappy reception but thats not the case for everyone else therefore someone who has a broken oem antenna thats looking for an inexpensive decent looking stubby antenna would probably be very happy with the one i posted.
Old 11-24-14, 07:20 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by IOWNALEXUS
Because the thread was titled "DIY stubby antenna mast" and your first post was about replacing the broken power antenna with a stubby one that didnt cost an arm and a leg and you mentioned nothing about bad reception until halfway down the page. Where you live may have crappy reception but thats not the case for everyone else therefore someone who has a broken oem antenna thats looking for an inexpensive decent looking stubby antenna would probably be very happy with the one i posted.
That's grasping for straws, sorry to say. In an antenna discussion, it's natural to assume that reception is a primary issue unless stated otherwise. The discussion was about the stock location. If I wanted to go a totally different direction with a roof mount, perhaps I would have mentioned that? And "halfway down the page" is majorly overstating things. It was in my first reply to others. Thanks for your input, though.
Old 11-24-14, 06:41 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

I guess I am "old school" and went and replaced the broken mast in the existing motor unit (not that much fun) to get it working again. When I finally replaced the stock radio with a Pioneer double DIN it turns out the mast went up every time the unit powered on. A rocker switch between the mast and the radio now allows for the mast to be raised only in the rare occasions when an FM or (dare I say it) an AM station for sports is needed

Sounds like your JVC is similar so a switch for the antenna may work for you, too.....

Last edited by Duck05; 11-24-14 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-24-14, 07:05 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Yep, our head units appear to function in the same manner. I've got an unused toggle switch in the cubby below the stereo that I'll probably use for that purpose, exactly as you did.
Old 11-26-14, 11:25 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigwhite
This is a store bought antenna that has a sticky pad and is attached to the fuel tank so I can faux shave the rear upper quarter panel as well. Also much lighter.
Do you remember where you bought the antenna or what brand it is? It just occurred to me, I would be the perfect test bed of how effective an internal antenna really is, being in a crummy reception area.