SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My '92 SC300 Power Windows Crapping Out! Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 07:46 PM
CrimsonHE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '92 SC300 Power Windows Crapping Out! Need Help!!

Sorry for the wall of text in advance but I want to give as much detail as I can to help with the
diagnosis.

So about a month ago, while driving home from work, my car randomly starting to beep in groups of 4, 8 times. Sort of like when you turn off your car and lock your doors. I though it was weird at first but I didn't really think anything of it until I parked my car. It wasn't letting my roll up my windows for some reason. So I kept taking out my key and tried to turn On my car again and kept trying the windows. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Still nothing. I kept trying and trying and of course not knowing anything about cars, I, of course, started to freak out. But eventually it worked again, seemingly deciding on it's own, and I was able to get the windows back up. I thought that maybe there was just a wire loose but didn't check anything. It was fine the next few days until it did it again. It started to beep the same sequence and the windows would stop working again. Once in a while I would notice it would start beeping in sequences but shorter than the usual 8 times. When it did the shorter sequences, I was able to control the windows again. But as I kept driving it would beep again in the 8x4 sequence and I would lose control again.

Now, a friend of mine suggested it was the master switch on the driver side, or maybe it's the switches in general. But, it's not only the side windows, it's the Sun roof as well. All stopping at once. So probably not? A quick search online about people having power windows problems, I found a thread about someone having similar problems and their solution was fixing the fuses in the kick out compartment. So I checked the fuse supposedly responsible for the power windows, I unplugged it and switched it with another one that looked the same. That didn't work. So I switched it back to their original spots. And the windows worked again. So I found a temporary fix I guess.

Now at this point the windows weren't beeping anymore before they cut out. They were stopping at random and I wasn't getting any announcement or warning now. They only worked once in a while at random and if I had them down, I would have to unplug/ plug the fuse every time to roll the windows up (or down) again. And I've been doing this for a while now (to much annoyance).

Now the kicker, it's not working anymore. When I got home yesterday, I pulled the fuse and put it back in and the windows still didn't work. Luckily, that time it worked on the second try. Today though, it did it again, and this time it took a little more tries. It's getting me pretty worried now. I really don't want my windows stuck rolled down permanently.

So any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Can it really be the switches if all three windows cut out at once? It's obviously something electrical, but can it have something to do with an anti-theft system? Do I need new fuses?

Thank you in advance for your guys help! And sorry again for the wall of text.

P.S.

I'll be attaching a picture of the kick panel fuse diagram (hopefully it actually works). According to a different thread here, the Gauge 10A (bottom, middle) is responsible for the power windows. Hopefully that's the correct one. That's the one that I've been unplugging/plugging anyway, and up to this point, it has been working. Sometimes switching the fuse with the HTR 10A (top left). Hopefully that information aids you in your diagnosis.
Attached Thumbnails My '92 SC300 Power Windows Crapping Out! Need Help!!-fuse-box.jpg