SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Another Car Died but now is fine thread.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-03 | 08:16 PM
RacingLexusBoi
Rookie

Question WEirD!!!

(92sc300) The strangest thing happened to me 2day. I was about to get on the freeway when the traffic light turned green and my engine just died when i let go of the brake and started to press the acceleration. The check engine light and all the other warning lights went on also. This is not a manual tranmission. I manage to start the car again and it started perfectly and i drove off. When I checked my engine nothing seem wrong. I scanned everything carefully and nothing was leakin or melted or out of place. When I drove it home it worked perfectly.

Should I be worry that this is a sign that I need to replace something?

My battery is fairly new only been like 6 months, my starter was giving me problems before but i just turn a screw on it and it did the job thx to the threads i read in the forum, and lastly i replaced my radiator and coolent hoses as my most major repair recently.

Any1 have any thoughts or opinions about this Strange occurrence.
Old 03-13-03 | 08:31 PM
ToyoBeastly
Intermediate

first off.....nice name

and as for what happened, i had that problem too......but not in a Lex

it was in my Mitsu....and what it ended up being was my battery cable ends, they werent making a good connection all the time. i had to get the actual cable that go to the battery replaced......about $75 in all....

that may be something you want to look into

hope that helps
Old 03-13-03 | 08:44 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Default Re: WEirD!!!

Originally posted by RacingLexusBoi
(92sc300) The strangest thing happened to me 2day. I was about to get on the freeway when the traffic light turned green and my engine just died when i let go of the brake and started to press the acceleration. The check engine light and all the other warning lights went on also. This is not a manual tranmission. I manage to start the car again and it started perfectly and i drove off. When I checked my engine nothing seem wrong. I scanned everything carefully and nothing was leakin or melted or out of place. When I drove it home it worked perfectly.

Should I be worry that this is a sign that I need to replace something?

My battery is fairly new only been like 6 months, my starter was giving me problems before but i just turn a screw on it and it did the job thx to the threads i read in the forum, and lastly i replaced my radiator and coolent hoses as my most major repair recently.

Any1 have any thoughts or opinions about this Strange occurrence.
It is quite common for the battery connections to become corroded and not make good enough contact. Try taking off the terminals and cleaning them with a wire brush.

Tim
Old 03-13-03 | 09:15 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

I thought if you have some water with baking soda it will... you can dip the terminal in it, and it will take the junk off. Don't know what the stuff is, haven't been in Chemistry or Physics for a while. Dad showed me that baking soda thing... sometimes there is tonns of junk built up.
Old 03-13-03 | 09:47 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=68201
Old 03-13-03 | 09:51 PM
Onelove
Lead Lap

While on the subject, anyone priced out the cables from the dealer? Mine are going to **** (inside the wire so the tricks don't work as well) and need replacing, anyone got an idea on price (95 sc3)
Old 03-13-03 | 10:03 PM
RacingLexusBoi
Rookie

thxs onelasttry and every1 else im looking through the thread and its giving me a wealth of knowledge. This was hard 2 search cuz i didnt know wut was exactly wrong.
Old 03-13-03 | 10:20 PM
RacingLexusBoi
Rookie

i was wondering if this only occurs when u are Idling cuz i dont want 2 risk it when im driving???
Old 03-14-03 | 12:41 PM
Millatyme
Lead Lap

It happened to me when i was dirving. Just a lose neg. connector. So be careful!
Old 03-14-03 | 11:45 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

Look in the "engine & tranny." section there is like a 5 page thread on this very issue called "car just died while driving" or something like that. Turns out alot of people have had this problem.
Old 03-16-03 | 03:12 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

This happened on my 95 ES. I never did find out exactly what cause it, and because there was also a slew of other problems w/ the car, i sold her off.
Old 03-16-03 | 03:55 PM
ToyoBeastly
Intermediate

Originally posted by Millatyme
It happened to me when i was dirving. Just a lose neg. connector. So be careful!
your lucky.....when it happened to me, it fried my DVD player, my alternator, battery, and a fusable link......

sounds like you got off easy
Old 03-16-03 | 03:58 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Originally posted by LexusBoi
your lucky.....when it happened to me, it fried my DVD player, my alternator, battery, and a fusable link......

sounds like you got off easy
was your dvd player grounded correctly?
Old 03-16-03 | 06:32 PM
RacingLexusBoi
Rookie

that seriously s*** LexusBoi , My car ran perfectly since my problem occured, I finally got a chance 2 look at my car, since it was rainin, 2day and i did most of wut the other members recommended. I found out that my battery cables were abit loose so i tighten them. I hope that cures my woes but i have to drive it sum more to c if that was the cause of problem.
Old 03-17-03 | 06:03 PM
RacingLexusBoi
Rookie

Angry

Not a good update on my current situation. My car died once again on the freeway (actually 3 tyms before i decided to get off the road). Died every tym i braked (started to shake then the engine stopped) and since it was during heavy traffic it happened very often. I was able to get it towed home and i think its tym to take my car to the 2 the dealers 2 have it examined. This is scary s*** when the engine stops for reasons u dont understand.

Quick Reply: Another Car Died but now is fine thread.