SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Which pads should be changed first?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-03, 10:30 AM
olegmalkin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which pads should be changed first?

I cannot figure out whether it is my front or rear brake pads that are making noises? I know typically front pads should be replaced first, but since our cars are rear wheel drive should I replace the rears first?
Old 03-17-03, 10:36 AM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

it doesnt really matter. the front brakes do most of the stopping, as they are larger than the brakes in the rear. i just replaced my front brake pads without touching my rears and its fine.
Old 03-17-03, 10:46 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, olegmalkin......... Even tho our cars are rear wheel drive most of the breaking is done with the front wheels / pads..... So more then likely it is the front that are making the noise.... Also if they are making a noise you will want to have them replaced soon so you do not have to have your rotors replaced, which can rack up some cash if that is needed to be done... Also a little tip you could do is (depending on the rims you have) if you can get to you pads with ease you could place your fingers between the pads and the rotors, If you can place your fingers in there when the pads have a lot left on them, if you can't place your fingers in between the pads and the rotor then those are set you would want to have replaced because they don't have a lot of pad left and that is why they are making the noise.........

Question: When was the last time you had your pads replaced and when you did have them replaced did you have both sets or just front or rear?

Please DON'T QUOTE me I am only posting what I have read / been told.... For I am not a expert and if I am wrong please let me know............. I am only trying to provide help
Old 03-17-03, 10:46 AM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

don`t determine whether your brakes need to be changed based on noise, rather pad thickness. pull out your pads and if they are below about 1/4" (guesstimate) I would replace them. some replacement pads will squeel when they are new.
Old 03-17-03, 10:48 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default LOL

EDIT: Profanity - READ THE RULES

Last edited by pcmw; 03-17-03 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-17-03, 10:58 AM
olegmalkin
Driver School Candidate

So, which ones do you think I should get? Stock Lexus are the best? ANyone had any luck with NIppon, PBR? Rockauto has a lot of cheap brands, are any of them desent?
Old 03-17-03, 04:26 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus brake pads need to be replaced when there is about 2mm pad left, according to a Lexus parts stocker I overheard while buying parts at the dealership. If you haven't replaced any brake pads yet, then it's your front brakes that need replacement. If you replaced your fronts last, then it's *probably* your rears, unless you are one of those last-minute brakers or enjoy frequent brake-stand burnouts. I like Lexus OEM pads, but I hear EBC Greens are leagues better than them. The best test is just to pull a wheel off and examine the brake pads visually. By proccess of elimination, you should be certain where the squeaks come from.

BTW, sometimes the squeaking comes from old *** shims depleted of lithium grease or rust. I replaced all four pads a while back and still heard squealing until I bought two new shim kits and soaked my brakes in brakeleen. Problem solved.
Old 03-17-03, 06:06 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

lol asnatlas, its all good

what you said was pretty accurate. quick tip - i use that brake cleaner spray you can pick up in a can at any auto store, it reduces the squeaking quite a bit as brake dust is the main cause of squeaking. this just flushes it off the pads/rotors i guess.