SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

those who have been experiencing power loss

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03, 09:28 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default those who have been experiencing power loss

Over the last few months I've noiced a little bit of power loss. After check throttle valve checking connections, doing full services tune up wires, rotors plugs everything that I can think of I checked the ignition coil. I had 1 that failed and replaced. stil same. So I went back to the shop and got talking to the mechanic. we've decided to do some investigating. we pulled off both igniton coils and clenaed off the the connecting surfaces and etc. Now the car absolutely positively has more power. I think I am seeing some mpg gains also(Iaround 40miles per tank). I took traction off, O/D off and ECT on and just by smashing the gas I was able to peel out. The car definitely has more power then when I bought it 3+ years ago. I guess all the maintenance would have helped al ittle also. Just an FYI for those who feel like they are not getting enough MPG and or experiencing drops in HP.

1992 SC400
Old 03-18-03, 10:58 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VSsc400,

Did you experience the bogging before? When I step of the gas from the stand still, the car goes to 2000 rpms, bogs down, and after about second or so when hitting 3000 rpms it takes off. Is this familiar to you?

Do me a big favor, tomorrow in the safe environment try to peel out again. Let me know if the car took off the same way it did today.

Also, when cleaning all the connectors, did you put any electrical grease on any of the connectors?

Thanks,
Old 03-18-03, 11:23 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info VSsc400, I've got plugs, wires, caps & rotors in hand for installation soon, will pay close attention to cleanliness of primary and secondary coil connections. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-18-03, 11:25 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

there is no bogdown @ 2000rpm at all. not even a hesitation. absolute smoot acceleration all throughout the rpm. Not sure of the electrical grease. I'll ask the mechanic and post tomorrow.
Old 03-18-03, 12:09 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

VSsc400,
there is no bogdown @ 2000rpm at all. not even a hesitation. absolute smoot acceleration all throughout the rpm.
Buy did you have one before?
Old 03-18-03, 12:22 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

chrisk:
yes I noticed hesitation before the cleaning of the contacts.
also if you see electrical grease there you should put them but I should have an answer for you by tomorrow

strongsail:
the mechanic removed the coils to clean the contacts.. pay more attention to the engine side rather than the coil side. thats where it was more dirty. he was telling me that its was very nasty.
Old 03-18-03, 12:50 PM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

VSsc400,

Can you also ask your mechanic how he cleaned the connectors? Did he used the compressed air or just wiped them? I guess I would like to know how detailed was he, so I know how details I need to be.

Thanks,
Old 03-18-03, 01:15 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

just spoke with my mechanic. He says its not the electrical connection that was dirty. It was the clip that holds the ignition in coil. He said we just wiped with shop towel.
There are 2 screws that hold the ignition coil in place and a clip. This piece needs to "snap" into place. Because it gets dirty and or by age the firmness of the clip is lost over the years thus less contact in the electrical connection.
From what he explained as long as you don't smell the "rotten egg" smell of the catalitic converter under hard acceleration there should be no need to clean it. If you smell the "rotten egg" smell your fuel is not combusting enough and too much raw fuel goes into your cat and since the cats are getting hotter than what they should be you can end up feeling more heat in the footwell inside the car.
He said hesitation around 2000rpm can be from many things. Here are some things he listed out for me
fuel pump can be getting weaker (I changed this to a walbro 255lph high pressure type) very loud pump.
fuel controller failing
injectors not clean
blockage in any of the exhaust components
throttle position sensor failing or in incorrect position
caps, rotors, wires or plugs have deteriorated.
then he said remotely possible are MAF sensor, O2 sensor, temp sensor(not thermostat), or the main ECU.

He also mentioned that you should check the condition of your plugs. If all 8 plugs have similar amount of carbon build up then you should be ok but if you notice 4 plugs with higher amount of carbon buildup than the other 4 banks then you should look at the wires, rotors, caps, and the iginition coil as culprit and can be seen as a sign that one of those items may be failing.
There is no need for electrical grease. One of my ignition coil under load test was slightly lower so I had 1 swapped out.

I hope this cleared some things up.
If you have any questions let me know and I will do my best to answer them.
dennis

Last edited by VSsc400; 03-18-03 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-18-03, 01:32 PM
SCV8
Instructor

The factory recommended replacement for the ignition parts is at 120K,but all my stuff was in need of replacement at 90K,made a big difference too.
Why wait?
Old 03-18-03, 03:37 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Where are ???

Where is the fuel pump and fuel filter ??

SCV8 how much was the ignition parts and what else did you get replaced, (quote : but all my stuff was in need of replacement at 90K) ???

Thanx
Shawn
Old 03-18-03, 04:20 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

hey, when I did my tune up, I changed the rotor and cap, but instead of getting regular wire and spark plugs, I spend $400 for a set of MSD 11mm wire(the wires were too fat that I could not even fit my cover back in), and Irdium denso sparks.... man, you feel the difference!!! gain at lease 10hp at the wheel! try it, you will spend money anyway, why don't you just pay a little more to get the true performance!
Old 03-18-03, 04:49 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Where can I get Irdium denso sparks from at a good price and ............... 400 dollars on WIRES............... OMFG I knew wires could be exp but I NEVER seem them for 400 a set........... DAMN.....................
Old 03-19-03, 05:20 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

fuel pump is in the middle behind the back seat.
fuel filter is directly in front of left rear wheel.
aren't our stock plugs denso?

Last edited by VSsc400; 03-19-03 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-19-03, 12:11 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

not 400 bux for wires... it includes the sparks too. denso irdium cost $17 each, and the wires are 200 something! of course, without installation.. if you go out and ask someone else do it, it may cost 100 dollars more though
Old 03-19-03, 12:46 PM
Lvangundy

Try Carson Toyota. These are all toyota factory parts.

Ignigion cap - $10-15 each
Ignition rotor - $8-12 each
Wire set - $100-120
toyota plugs - $10-15 each.

Fuel filter - $25-30

Anyone how much it costs to pull the manifold and manually clean the injectors? I think mine are clogged.

Quick Reply: those who have been experiencing power loss