SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Bought my SC300 last week... need mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03 | 01:06 PM
cspatter
Driver School Candidate

Default Bought my SC300 last week... need mods

I paid 7500 for my 93 sc300 with 160k on it.... In perfect condition... I want the motor to last at least another 50-60k miles but I want a little more power. and better handling
Does not smoke.. runs well.

1. I have been doing a lot of research and reading but seem to get very conflicting views on Intake modifications. I seached on previous treads and found a few from a year ago about Ingen. Ingen seems to be the intake I want to get unless something is better. I have also read that keeping my stock intake might be better? Weapon-R also seems to have a cold air system but I can't find anyone who would back up an aftermarket intake for the sc300s. Does anyone have proof of a good air intake mod? The other option I have read about is the "do it yourself BFI" on a few soarer sites.... I want to keep things simple but if I have to make my own for the best results so be it.

2. The other modification I have read about on Itelexual.com third edition I think is the electric fan conversion from SumitRacing for around $190. Has any done this and are there gains to be realized from this mod? Itelexual claims 20-30hp I just want to know if anyone thinks it is worth the hype? On an earlier archived thread I read that getting the UR underdrive pully was a bad Idea due to messing with the harmonic balancing. Wouldn't the electric fan conversion cause the same issue?

3. does feel week when riding over rough roads "lower control arm bushings" I guess. I have heard that replacing the bushings causes a rough ride and sqeeking noise? any suggestions?

4. I want to upgrade the suspension and am going with tien but I was wondering about sway bars. I understand stock supra tt sway bars fit but what about aftermarket supra tt bars? they should fit right?

Any and all help would be great!!!!!
Thanks,
Chris

Old 03-19-03 | 12:05 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Bought my SC300 last week... need mods

Originally posted by cspatter
I paid 7500 for my 93 sc300 with 160k on it.... In perfect condition... I want the motor to last at least another 50-60k miles but I want a little more power. and better handling
Does not smoke.. runs well.

1. I have been doing a lot of research and reading but seem to get very conflicting views on Intake modifications. I seached on previous treads and found a few from a year ago about Ingen. Ingen seems to be the intake I want to get unless something is better. I have also read that keeping my stock intake might be better? Weapon-R also seems to have a cold air system but I can't find anyone who would back up an aftermarket intake for the sc300s. Does anyone have proof of a good air intake mod? The other option I have read about is the "do it yourself BFI" on a few soarer sites.... I want to keep things simple but if I have to make my own for the best results so be it.
Just remove the snorkel. It wont cost you anything but a few minutes of your time.

2. The other modification I have read about on Itelexual.com third edition I think is the electric fan conversion from SumitRacing for around $190. Has any done this and are there gains to be realized from this mod? Itelexual claims 20-30hp I just want to know if anyone thinks it is worth the hype? On an earlier archived thread I read that getting the UR underdrive pully was a bad Idea due to messing with the harmonic balancing. Wouldn't the electric fan conversion cause the same issue?
I have this mod. I might remove it. My project car is being taken over by Bruce Nomura and he wants me to take it off since I am turbo and have enough horses anyway. I might have this unit for sale. Pretty much brand new. If you do this mod you may want to get a better alternator. The fans draw alot of power.

3. does feel week when riding over rough roads "lower control arm bushings" I guess. I have heard that replacing the bushings causes a rough ride and sqeeking noise? any suggestions?
Please explain in detail. The bushing remove the squeek and can firm up the ride depending on the types you buy. Do a search since this has been covered to a great extent.

4. I want to upgrade the suspension and am going with tien but I was wondering about sway bars. I understand stock supra tt sway bars fit but what about aftermarket supra tt bars? they should fit right?
You may want to do a quick search on Daizen sways. These were built specifically for the car.

As a word of advice you may just want to do all your maintenance to your engine now and then get something like an S-AFC II and dyno tune it after you get new mufflers and remove the snorkel. Someone can tune it for you then and you will get better results than buying a pre-tuned product. Remember that all cars are not created equal. I do not think the torque converter alone in the SC300 NA is worth it, also.
Old 03-19-03 | 09:12 AM
cspatter
Driver School Candidate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please explain in detail. The bushing remove the squeek and can firm up the ride depending on the types you buy. Do a search since this has been covered to a great extent.

I did a search and kept finding conflicting opinions. Some say the ride is too rough when they install the new bushings and others say they get a squeaking noise when going over speed bumps with the new ones installed. I am not sure my issue is bad bushings but perhapse my suspension has just gotten old? Feels very sloppy over bumpy roads but tight in corners and normal driving.
Thanks Hermosa for your feedback!! I'm glad someone replied.

This is my conclusion, if anyone thinks I am going in the wrong direction please speak up ,, thanks!

1. JIC coilovers.
2. Supra wheels
3. Supra brakes
4. remove snorkel
5. replace control arm bushing with Daizen set
6. Daizen sway bars
7. JIC strut tower brace "DOES IT FIT WITHOUT ISSUES????" cant get a clear answer on this either
8. Possibly buy the dualfan conversion..... did it give you any power gains Hermosa?
9. READY FOR MOTOR SWAP or NA TURBO!!!
Old 03-19-03 | 09:36 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Feels very sloppy over bumpy roads but tight in corners and normal driving.
Sloppy as in bouncy? Very tight suspension will give some bounce on rough roads. Push down on the front of the car. Does it waver up and down before settling or does it snap back to its normal place. If it wavers up and down you may need to replace your struts. Just to warn you if your suspension is too loose you can have less effective power for acceleration since energy is being wasted on the movement of the body on the suspension. I ordered the Cusco strut bar. I can tell how that one feels in another week.
Old 03-19-03 | 09:50 AM
cspatter
Driver School Candidate

Sloppy as in stering response... my wheel wants to get away from me.
Old 03-19-03 | 09:57 AM
cspatter
Driver School Candidate

About that fan conversion? Did you get any power/torque?

I have this mod. I might remove it. My project car is being taken over by Bruce Nomura and he wants me to take it off since I am turbo and have enough horses anyway. I might have this unit for sale. Pretty much brand new. If you do this mod you may want to get a better alternator. The fans draw alot of power.
Old 03-19-03 | 10:03 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

It is hard to tell since I have a turbo.
Old 03-19-03 | 02:32 PM
cspatter
Driver School Candidate

did not have the fans before the turbo was installed?
when you get ready to sell let me know if we can work something out