SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How many people have Dash Needles that don't work ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-03, 11:23 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

All I can say is wow! I was starting to think all the good discussions has come to pass at this forum and then bam, Brian comes out with some amazing stuff! Keep it coming buddy!

One question though, I would imagine that each cap is covering more than one segment of the leds in the needles, so why does only one little section flicker on me?

Also, I have a DMM and would like to revisit my cluster. Did you find that the caps and/or resisters did not perform to specs or were they always completely dead. If you get a chance, and I know this is some work, could you post a bigger picture, or maybe multiple pictures and list the correct ohms or ferads so I could test my board (and so could everyone else) against some accepted values?

Many thanks as always,
Ryan
Old 03-26-03, 10:27 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

One question though, I would imagine that each cap is covering more than one segment of the leds in the needles, so why does only one little section flicker on me?
when the needle flickers within itself , but the rest of the needle fires correctly, it shows a problem with the connection. there are multiple tracers on the head of the cylinder the needle sits on.

Also, I have a DMM and would like to revisit my cluster. Did you find that the caps and/or resisters did not perform to specs or were they always completely dead. If you get a chance, and I know this is some work, could you post a bigger picture, or maybe multiple pictures and list the correct ohms or ferads so I could test my board (and so could everyone else) against some accepted values?
all of the parts are actually labeled what they should be. caps have the microfarad rating on the side. resistors, the color band. Diodes should simply perform open in one direction and closed in the other.
I do not have a digital camera that will do close ups like yours, just a cheapie.

look up "resistor color band values" on google for the proper chart
Old 03-26-03, 11:34 AM
stock300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noted a strong correlation between outdoor temperature and whether or not my speedometer needle flickers on my 93 SC300. In the winter, the needle will stay completely lit, albeit, at a reduced power setting. All other needles are fine. When it warms up in the Spring, the flickering of the speedo starts. Does this fit into the circuit deterioration observation? As temperature increases, so does the resistance so it could very well be that the solder joints, caps, etc. are borderline enough that a higher resistance will start the flickereing??
Old 03-26-03, 11:54 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Actually, capacitors are what get's tempramental above a certain degree.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 03-26-03 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-26-03, 01:11 PM
cspatter
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone here done business with lexusdash.com yet....
I like these
I have 160k on a 93 and my fuel is out 99% of the time and my speedo flickers...
Attached Thumbnails How many people have Dash Needles that don't work ?-lexus-95-005.jpg  
Old 03-26-03, 01:23 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

i have heard they are not ready yet to do the clusters. when they are ready, it will be $500.00 to do the conversion to change the color from amber to blue.
Old 04-15-03, 11:00 AM
L.A.Rue
Driver School Candidate

Default Climate control bulbs

Onelasttry,
Do I still replace ac control bulbs? I read a previous thread showing some pics of SC owners who shipped their units to you for repair for $25-30 with a 7 days turnaround. If so, how do go about getting my unit to you.
Old 04-15-03, 12:35 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

onelasttry: dude those bulbs worked out great!!!!! You rock.
Old 04-15-03, 04:17 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

onelasttry, the pics you posted doesn't show. it just has "x" and i clicked 'show picture' and it still doesn't show.
i wanna see where the resistors and the caps are so i can replace them or something.
great thinking tho
Old 04-15-03, 05:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Aznteazer , boomspeed clipped my wings for remote linking, so i'll have to mail you the link to the pic, check your pm.
Old 04-15-03, 08:34 PM
LivnLavish
Driver School Candidate

Great info onelasttry. you must be in electronics. my 95 sc400 has issues with the backlighting on the tach and speedometer. the needles usually work but sometimes not. my girl has an ES with needles that won't light and also my roomate has a 95 GS 300 thats losing it's needles.
Do you think that the product that lexusdash offers would be worth the $$$? Whats your opinion of it?
Old 04-15-03, 08:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

from what i've read, they don't offer anything yet. just a prototype done so far. i suppose if you like the rice look, it's personal preference. as far as the price worthiness, it's worth whatever you are willing to pay to get it. my electronics distributor shows the cathode tubes @ $10.83 each. factor in what you are willing to pay for labor and you got your price. i personally do not know the guys there and have not seen the work or build quality.
Old 04-15-03, 11:51 PM
TexSc
Driver School Candidate

Default A/C controls

I have just bought a 93 Sc400 (finally.....part of the club) and have seen that part of my a/c controls and other interior lights from the buttons dont work. I saw an online How-To once that explained how to change the lights to a coool blue light but cant seem to find it again. If anyone has seen my lost www please return it too me. hehe... anyways, does anyone know if you can change all your interior lights to like a bright white of blue?......nice stuff onelasttry. very nice
Old 04-16-03, 11:19 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info onelasttry! I'll have to add all this to the FAQ when I get back from LA.

I have a 95 with 77k miles and all my needles work fine. I never keep it on full intensity though. I actually took my cluster from a 94 with 120k miles so it does have more wear on it than just 77k.
Old 04-16-03, 09:27 PM
SCerious
Driver School Candidate

I have a 92 SC300 with 127k
flickering temp and speedo
took out gauge pod and when I put it back the needles seemed to stay lit longer
I am going to try toning down the intensity and see if that helps.

Quick Reply: How many people have Dash Needles that don't work ?