SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Soarer r154 tripod swap with soarer front drivevshaft..hitting on cup

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-15 | 03:01 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Yea it is to long....I am starting to think that the driveshaft is not the correct one for the tripod r154.....into an SC300...

I took it out for a drive yesterday and within 5 minutes of normal driving...the rear output seal blew out on the transmission and transmission fluid went everywhere on the bottom of car...it made huge mess....luckily didnt get to much on the tires or that woulda been scary...

Upon removal of the exhaust and driveshaft now for the 3rd time....the gasket wasnt new like I expected it to be..it was hard and brittle and literally fell out when I pulled driveshaft out.....since the transmission was completely rebuilt by freed engineering....doesnt make sense to me to rebuilt a transmission and not but a new seal on the output shaft...

I was not expecting to have this many issues with this setup since supposedly it was installed on one of Omar's SC's....

Is the rear driveshaft the same length on the SC300 for manual and automatic?

Last edited by CatManD3W; 05-03-15 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-03-15 | 03:56 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

R154s are notorious for tranny fluid leaks on the rear seal or shifter housing especially in higher hp application where the internal pressure is high. Only some lucky ones do not get that leak. But a lot of those who gave it up are fed up of replacing the rear seal and fluid leak. Mark , on this forum, sold his car and one of the reasons was that stupid rear seal keep on leaking if I am not mistaken.

Measure the rear driveshaft length of your SC300 and I will measure the automatic for you , I have one. Don't include the rubber donut on the measurement.
Old 05-04-15 | 09:54 AM
Grobar
Driver School Candidate

Correct me if I'm wrong but I could swear I heard of people complaining that they could NOT find a seal to fit perfectly on the Soarer Tripod R154s. That it was a miniscule amount bigger than regular MKIII seals. I have a tripod sitting in my basement and am deathly worried I won't be able to source the correct seal for it. But yes, they have known to pop rear seals because the R154 doesn't have great pressure relief system. I'd contact Jose Valle from Kaizen and ask him what they did. For the past decade they've had numerous R154s into high HP category. The only thing he recommended was running Heavy Shockproof.

On the DS end of things, I went one piece when I used my R154. Driftmotion states that they need measurement from yoke of diff to output shaft of tranny. I sent that measurement in and my DS from them was perfect. There was slight amount of room up front too, the DS doesn't slide ALL the way into the output shaft. Needs to have a little bit of give.

I'm not saying go one piece... but mine was only $340 shipped for 3" steel one.
Old 05-15-15 | 08:49 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

I have just installed new seal on rear of transmission and it is still having problems...

The driveshaft that was included in the swap that I purchased from Omar is incorrect length and is causing the rear seal to fail due to it being pushed up tight against the seal...

When I first brought the swap home I was worried that it was incorrect due to it being longer than my w58 front shaft....it needs to either the same length or shorter like the mk3 front shaft is...

I paid a lot of money for this swap and I expect to receive the right parts!!!!!

Last edited by CatManD3W; 05-15-15 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-15-15 | 09:35 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

so it is still pushing the rear seal out and you are not even boosting ? what seal did you used , w58 ? get the correct length of shaft ...

get hold of Rey , I know he has one. I sent you a text message of his phone number.He had an R154 on his car which he is replacing.
Old 05-15-15 | 09:58 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gerrb
so it is still pushing the rear seal out and you are not even boosting ? what seal did you used , w58 ? get the correct length of shaft ...

get hold of Rey , I know he has one. I sent you a text message of his phone number.He had an R154 on his car which he is replacing.
Yea I havent even tried to get into boost because it is just leaking instantly..

Last edited by CatManD3W; 05-15-15 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-15-15 | 10:41 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Yea I havent even tried to get into boost because it is just leaking instantly..I installed w58 seal..I will try the MK3 front shaft and if it still has issues I am going to have some serious problems with Omar.....I did not expect this from a forum moderator

After I came about the issue I went back and found old posts on ClubLexus and Supraforums from Omar about him complaining about the rear seals blowing out on this transmission over 500hp....When i met him in person he failed to tell me that the tranmission had this issue.......Also the bellhousing had been exploded prior due to pressure plate blowing up inside....it had been welded back together.....that I wasnt aware of until I drove 4 hrs to pick it up
Well , talk to him and explain the situation.

Last edited by gerrb; 05-15-15 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-15-15 | 12:46 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Thanks Gerry for helping me find a MK3 front shaft
Old 05-15-15 | 07:47 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Well guys the transmission has more issue than just the real seal blowing out....

I just replaced the seal yesterday with a brand new W58 seal.....took it out to a local car meet.....about a 15 min drive form my house....Keep in mind i didnt even get into boost at all on the way there.....and upon leaving I looked underneath where my car had been sitting and still saw that it was leaking...

Brought car home and put it up on jack stands.....and found the following

Exhaust coated with oil...

Underside coated in oil

Today when I removed the driveshaft, the rear seal was completey trashed....

The seal had been being rubbed on by driveshaft causing it to fail instantly...

Here you can see how the driveshaft being to long has caused the rear rubber isolater to be pushed back and out of shape...it ultimately made it crack and tear...

Last edited by CatManD3W; 05-15-15 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-15-15 | 07:56 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Closeup of bellhousing damage....The damage was not mentioned in the for sale ad or in communication between the seller and I

I wasnt made aware of it until I saw it in person after a 4hr drive and I questioned why was this not described....I wouldnt of never drove 4hrs to see it all if I would have known about the bellhousing damage before hand...

Upon discussion that it was purely cosmetic and was repaired properly I decided to purchase the swap anyways..

More problems....

I had noticed that there was some oil dripping right around bellhousing area.....I decided at that point to unbolt pressure plate and pull transmission out.....When removing pressure plate bolts through inspection cover ....I reached my hand into bellhousing and it was covered in oil and was a puddle on bottom side...

I removed the transmission from engine and found the following....this pictures were taking immediately upon removal.......leaking out of front input shaft...

Closeup of rear seal....keep in mind this was only after 15 min of driving with brand new seal..

Is it supposed to be dead center cause it is obviously not...????

Input shaft closeup....shouldnt this be center as welll.....?

Pressure plate throw out bearing....this is supposed to greased but it was also covered with oil on the inside from the input shaft leaking...

Last edited by CatManD3W; 05-15-15 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-15-15 | 08:21 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

I think that this should validate a refund as the items I purchased were not as described..

Would a freshly rebuilt transmission have all of these issues???..........I had only driven car for 20 miles total...

According to the FS ad the following had been performed...

1,2,3,4 and Reverse Gear are all brand new
Rebuild kit with HD bearings
1st, 2nd, 3rd gear
1/2 hub
1/2 slider
New MC thrust washer
Already had MC bearing retainer and fork

Keep in mind I had driven the car twice since installation....The first time after the install the rear seal blew out within 10 min on the highway....which was previously mentioned in my prior posts...

I was taking it easy since it was a fresh install and wanted everything to have a good break in.....

Last edited by CatManD3W; 05-15-15 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-15-15 | 08:35 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

I would absolutely would never paid for that thing, it has blown out holes on the side. I cant believe how that thing looks. how much did you pay for it? that drive shaft is about 5mm to long. it could of put pressure on the hole trans and maybe thats why it leaked in the front maybe?

Last edited by mikef; 05-15-15 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-15-15 | 08:44 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Here is the complete setup below......upon arrival at my home

Last edited by CatManD3W; 05-15-15 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-15-15 | 08:53 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Here is the FS ad......I attached it for reference to shown that all of the pictures in the for sale ad didn't show any of damage....nor was any of the other problems mentioned

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...for-scx00.html

Last edited by CatManD3W; 05-15-15 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-15-15 | 09:01 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

I hope you can get this resolved soon and get your car going because it does suck removing the trans again for sure.

Quick Reply: Soarer r154 tripod swap with soarer front drivevshaft..hitting on cup