SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc400 Swap, Tx

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-15, 06:59 PM
ValiantSc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 Swap, Tx

Hello guys, so I bought my sc400 cheap about a month or so ago and have been doing a lot of reading on the different engine/chasis combos that seem to be popular and have the most potential. My 1uzfe currently suffers from a rod through the block so its time to weigh my options for a replacement.

After a lot of reading and looking at some options for a new motor whether it be a junkyard motor or a Jdm importer, I had somewhat decided i was going to swap in one of the inline six motors more than likely the 1jz, because of the low mileage I can get from an importer rather than a junkyard motor.

I've searched the site and haven't found any information regarding Jdm engine importers here in Texas, at least none that seemed useful and in the last year. So is there any reason I should go with the 2jz from a stock sc300 over the 1jz from an importer? Does any know of a reputable importer preferably around Houston/Austin, if not I am willing to drive to Dallas as a last resort.

Also regarding the interior, my seats are cracked horribly, has anyone used the leather replacement covers from ebay? Opinions?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by ValiantSc; 05-17-15 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-17-15, 07:38 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leatherseatsdotcom makes great replacement seat covers that fit excellently.
I don't have any info about jdm motor importers yet. Thats kind of a tough one unfortunately, some JDM importers can be hot and cold. Some people have great experiences and then one or two will have a horrible experience with the same importer. Best bet is to source one locally that you can visually inspect and that won't **** you over with shipping that can take months longer than originally promised.
Old 05-17-15, 07:47 PM
ValiantSc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Eknine9 I'm definitely gonna give them a look. Yeah I definitely want a place I can pick up a motor locally, I'm about 30 minutes North of Houston but have not found anyone there but one place in Dallas that has some 1jz's and 2jz's.

I used to buy some stuff from JGY for my 240sx's when I lived in Va, which was always great, but haven't found a place since moving back here.
Old 05-18-15, 10:09 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...oooooor you can pick up a used UZ for pennies on the dollar because they almost never break.

Swapping a JZ into a UZ car more than likely will have its own set of (costly) problems if you dont know what you are doing.
Old 05-19-15, 12:07 AM
ValiantSc
Driver School Candidate

@pogoism9, I definitely agree, I have found several 1uz's today in North Houston for about 500 bucks with 97k-160k miles on them and 60 day start up warranties. I've done plenty of swaps from lsx motors into toyota pick ups and my 240sx's sr swaps so I'm not really new to the routine. It does suck when the little things/broken stuff you find adds up during the swap though.

I have found a sc300 in houston that had been wrecked and has a full interior which I need a lot of and a running 2jz and everything i would need just to swap everything over. My wife has agreed in a few months the car needs to be turbo and painted so with her on board I just need to decide on which route to go.

Right now it would seem the easiest cheapest route would to be throw a junkyard 1uz in it and save back as much for getting a supra/aristo 2jzgte swap.