SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Please help- advice needed on '98 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-15, 08:23 PM
Tiers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help- advice needed on '98 SC400

About 7 years ago I bought a 1998 SC400 with 98,000 miles which now has about 160,000 miles on it. It has never needed anything other than brakes and tires until recently. A few months ago the alternator went (to be expected) and that was about $350 to fix...plus the tow for about $100. A few days ago the lower control arm on the front passenger side wheel went...luckily I was literally next to a repair shop when it happened. I was horrified to learn that the new part costs $750...the best I have been able to find new is $475 and I sourced a used one for $145 but it will need the old bushings burned out and new bushings...so really like $245. The shop it broke by wants $300 for the labor and I realize that is high but even if I found the labor for cheap it would need to be towed there...so it is a minimum of $550 for this repair...and the mechanic told me that the boot is torn on the front left lower control arm so that one will need to be replaced too.

So I do not know what to do...I am worried that the car is now at the point where things are going to break- and I understand that is natural for an older car- but the car being what it is the parts are expensive and I am not mechanically oriented so I can expect to get bent over every time I need labor. My life circumstances are such that in the near future I might not need a car but for right now I do need something. Does it make sense to sink at least $1100 into repairing this car in the hope that nothing else will go wrong? or should I sell it to someone as-is for cheap, who can hopefully fix it and use it (I am attached to the car and would prefer not to see it parted out) and use the proceeds plus that $1100 I would have spent to buy an inexpensive used car? Or just fix the one side and sell it in that condition?

Any advice is very much appreciated
Old 05-18-15, 07:05 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Lexus , being the luxury vehicles of Toyota, are not cheap to maintain. If you can't do the labor yourself , all the more you will feel how pricey the maintenance of these cars are.

It is tough to say what part will give up next or when a part will give out. If indeed it will be hard for you to maintain it because of costs, my suggestion is being a 1998 , you might still get a good amount , just sell it. Plus the $1100 you are suppose to spend, you can get yourself a good daily driver which will be cheaper to maintain. It will be sad to let it go , but you do what you got to do with the right priorities in life in mind.

Maybe posting a couple of pictures of the interior and exterior will help . People can give an idea how much you can get out of it.
Old 05-18-15, 08:10 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

PM sent,
I may be able to help you get it fixed or sell it.

Try to keep it. That's the most powerful 1UZ motor.

SG
Old 05-18-15, 08:12 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Beware if timing belt and water pump have not been done. YOU MUST do it if it has not been done. That motor will self destruct if your timing belt snaps.
Old 05-18-15, 08:27 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiers
About 7 years ago I bought a 1998 SC400 with 98,000 miles which now has about 160,000 miles on it. It has never needed anything other than brakes and tires until recently.
My concern is you've put off a lot of maintenance, at the very least pushing past a major service interval. That leaves you with a very good likelihood of more stuff needing attention, so if you're stressed over the control arm repair, gerrb's advice to sell and get into something cheaper and more reliable is probably sound.

On the other hand, lower control arms on these cars are a major wear item. The fact that it went out doesn't mean anything else will soon.