SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Should I paint my car? or get a Supra

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-15, 05:41 PM
Kia96SC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep the sc but purchase the supra. drive the sc daily and the supra when you want to have a little fun. as above, the supra will maintain value unlike most other cars...sc doesnt look like it needs to be repainted, save on that for now
Old 11-02-15, 08:38 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

So on Tuesday I will be getting a quote from lexus dealership on a paint job. I just did a major tuneup on the SC since it is over 175k miles now so it should run mechanically for a good while. The other day a lady rear ended my car and left some black marks on my rear bumper so I guess I decided that I will keep the SC for a good while and just paint it and probably put a top speed pro 1 exhaust on it. I still love the look of my car and can't see myself selling it either to drive a supra daily and it's much more frugal to keep this car then spend many thousands on a supra right now.

Since it is the original 120 and original paint is white. Should I be painting it the same color code? Or Supra white? lambo white? any suggestions on what paint I should be putting on to retain it's value and make it look awesome?
Old 11-02-15, 12:40 PM
N1T3MARE
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to retain value, you will need to paint it the OEM pearl white color.
Old 11-03-15, 08:55 AM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO 97 5 speeds are a bad SC to modify cause they are so RARE in their stock form. Any other SC can be torn up to modify and doesn't really hurt resale value so it ruins the point of having an Original 5 speed. That being said if it is very QUALITY paint job and the OEM paint job is faded or peeling then its worth it. But if the OEM paint is still nice, then leave it alone and save for the Supra if that's your real dream car
Old 11-03-15, 08:56 AM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N1T3MARE
If you want to retain value, you will need to paint it the OEM pearl white color.
Also this ^^^^ OEM color for sure!!
Old 11-03-15, 11:23 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Thanks guys, OEM it is. Lexus will be doing the paintjob so it will be professional.. I'm just waiting on a quote now... I'm assuming it will be at least $2k. The only other modification I will do is just a top speed exhaust. I've always wanted one and can always part that out if I ever decide to sell this car. The only other modifications I've done is just the LED lighting and 5k hids and 3k fogs.

Currently my car is painted slightly different white colors, it was in accidents prior to my purchase of the vehicle. Front hood has clear coat coming off, rear bumper is peeling pretty bad. and rear quarter panels have some black stuff that seem to be infused into the paint.

I plastidipped my side pillars 2 years ago but that's peeling off again. and I also need to figure out a way to paint the 2 window trims since the black is coming off.

As far as the paintjob goes, it will definitely be quality. I'm not going to cheap out on that. It will be done right. I may or may not ever get a Supra even though it is my dream car, but at the end of the day it's just a car so I won't die or anything if I don't get it. =)
Old 11-04-15, 10:49 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBang
Thanks guys, OEM it is. Lexus will be doing the paintjob so it will be professional.. I'm just waiting on a quote now... I'm assuming it will be at least $2k. The only other modification I will do is just a top speed exhaust. I've always wanted one and can always part that out if I ever decide to sell this car. The only other modifications I've done is just the LED lighting and 5k hids and 3k fogs.

Currently my car is painted slightly different white colors, it was in accidents prior to my purchase of the vehicle. Front hood has clear coat coming off, rear bumper is peeling pretty bad. and rear quarter panels have some black stuff that seem to be infused into the paint.

I plastidipped my side pillars 2 years ago but that's peeling off again. and I also need to figure out a way to paint the 2 window trims since the black is coming off.

As far as the paintjob goes, it will definitely be quality. I'm not going to cheap out on that. It will be done right. I may or may not ever get a Supra even though it is my dream car, but at the end of the day it's just a car so I won't die or anything if I don't get it. =)
If you solely want a Supra for its looks then by all means, otherwise they are practically the same car. You can literally bolt up front and rear sub frames with little effort and can ride and drive exactly the same.

As for body work done right, 2k is a fairly low quote for a high quality job. Expect to pay much more.. I would say ANY good body shop can do as good or better than the dealer though. In fact, most dealers don't actually handle paint jobs at all, they are hired out by other well proven shops but backed by Lexus. Any shop doing a quality paint job will spend countless hours prepping for the paint, far more than the actual painting work itself. I would get a few quotes from classic and exotic body shops before deciding to take it to Lexus unless you are solely after that Lexus titled paper trail for resale value reasons.
Old 11-05-15, 08:24 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris9884
If you solely want a Supra for its looks then by all means, otherwise they are practically the same car. You can literally bolt up front and rear sub frames with little effort and can ride and drive exactly the same.

As for body work done right, 2k is a fairly low quote for a high quality job. Expect to pay much more.. I would say ANY good body shop can do as good or better than the dealer though. In fact, most dealers don't actually handle paint jobs at all, they are hired out by other well proven shops but backed by Lexus. Any shop doing a quality paint job will spend countless hours prepping for the paint, far more than the actual painting work itself. I would get a few quotes from classic and exotic body shops before deciding to take it to Lexus unless you are solely after that Lexus titled paper trail for resale value reasons.
Well said Kris

Also, I've yet to see any dealerships that do their own body work and paint. I've seen body shops on dealer premises but they independent from the actual dealership.

2K is extremely low for a good quality paint job for sure when you take into account all of the hours just in prep work. A good quality job is going to require numerous hours of prep work regardless of how straight your body is.

I had my car painted last year with a custom color along with having my rear fenders pulled 1" on each side plus all 4 fenders completed flattened from the inside.

Keep is posted on how it turns out.

Last edited by FSUsucks1; 11-05-15 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-05-15, 04:50 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

I had my '92 SC300 repainted in the OEM color (6M3) and got quotes ranging from $4000 to $8000 just for the paint. Almost no dents (a few door dings) so very little to no body work.

The shop that won the job also did the body kit and the 97 style fog lights were $400 by themselves, The job took almost a month.

Expect $5-8K for a worthwhile result. Anything less is suspect.
Old 11-07-15, 06:35 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Wow, I totally did not realize it would be that expensive... it's almost not worth it as 5-8k is already more than the value of the car alone.. =(
Old 11-07-15, 09:09 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBang
Wow, I totally did not realize it would be that expensive... it's almost not worth it as 5-8k is already more than the value of the car alone.. =(
Agreed. That's why vinyl wrapping and the horrid plasti-dip has blown up so much. Its far more economical to just buy a whole new car with a great shell.