SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What type of tranny is this huh?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-15, 02:02 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What type of tranny is this huh?????

Hi everyone

A friend of mine just bought a 1998 sc300,
The tranny has lockdown 1st and 4th gear vehicle only running on 2nd and 3rd gear. We looked at the tranny and it's a 30 40LS and when I checked my 1999 sc300 same thing. I thought the sc300 automatic transmission only came with the A340E (30 40LE).

He wants to get a stage 3 auto tranny from ATF, but they only have the A341LE (30 41LE) and the A340LE (30 40LE).

Me and him tried to get some information online, but very limited info on this tranny, almost like it was a top secret tranny......lol

Does anyone here know if he can use A340E or the A341E if he goes this route does he have to do a stand alone ECU.

It looks like the models with VVTI?

All help is greatly appreciated....please.....

The car is turbo

30 40LS tranny 98 lexus sc300
Old 06-05-15, 04:20 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

SC300 , SC400 , MKIV trannies all belong to the same family if A3xx transmissions. They are used by a lot of other Toyota cars/trucks too. Even Volvo and Jeep uses them. The last letters reffer to production variations like where they are used but basically the same in design.

Major difference is some have manual valve body / cable controlled just like the SC300. Where as the SC400 and TT MKIV trannies are electronic.

You would need to do some wiring to adapt an Electronically controlled solenoids / shifting tranny into an SC300 and change ECU since the SC300 ecu cannot control all those solenoids. For someone who knows what he is doing, it is doable.
Old 06-05-15, 04:54 PM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gerrb
SC300 , SC400 , MKIV trannies all belong to the same family if A3xx transmissions. They are used by a lot of other Toyota cars/trucks too. Even Volvo and Jeep uses them. The last letters reffer to production variations like where they are used but basically the same in design.

Major difference is some have manual valve body / cable controlled just like the SC300. Where as the SC400 and TT MKIV trannies are electronic.

You would need to do some wiring to adapt an Electronically controlled solenoids / shifting tranny into an SC300 and change ECU since the SC300 ecu cannot control all those solenoids. For someone who knows what he is doing, it is doable.
Thank you very much Gerrb, your assistance it is alway a pleasure to get advise from you and in detail.
Old 06-06-15, 09:33 AM
Idlefree
Pit Crew

Not sure if anyone else is in the same position as I am, but ATF does build these transmissions please see below some information. Hope this help other people

The 30-40 LS unit is one of the few transmissions that they do not build.. It is a Jap spec transmission out of the paddle shift type cars.. It is still a 4-speed but the valve bodies are much different.. So for ATF to build a transmission, ATF cannot take that unit as a core..
The customer will need to either source a core or just pay the $500 core on top of the cost for the stage 3 transmission.. ATF would then send a Stage 3 Transmission, but before you drive the vehicle you will need to have whoever is tuning it make some changes to the computer
to make it work.
Otherwise it can burn the transmission up before you even get to drive it..