SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

questions about sc's before buying

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 05:54 AM
GreatWade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about sc's before buying

Now I've done a little research on sc's (gorgeous cars) and I'm thinking about buying a lexus sc300. I always wanted a sc400 for the v8 but the only one I wanted would be 98-up mainly for the power output but pricey. I know 300's came with 225 hp and around 210 torque pretty much there whole existence with the 2jz unlike the uz engine. Like I said, I've done only a little research but I'm assuming that the 2jz would be cheaper to go to a gtte and other upgrades without going into the engine than doing the same with the uz. I know a decent amount on 2jz's but I really don't know much on the uz. I know they're both strong engines but don't know if uz can handle as much as the 2jz. One more thing I would like to know is the variable valve timing (vvt) setup on 98-up models, is there a difference with say going to a gtte or just trying to gain power on either engine as opposed to the models before without vvt.

Last edited by GreatWade; 07-02-15 at 06:15 AM. Reason: correction
Old 07-02-15, 08:26 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GreatWade
Now I've done a little research on sc's (gorgeous cars) and I'm thinking about buying a lexus sc300. I always wanted a sc400 for the v8 but the only one I wanted would be 98-up mainly for the power output but pricey. I know 300's came with 225 hp and around 210 torque pretty much there whole existence with the 2jz unlike the uz engine. Like I said, I've done only a little research but I'm assuming that the 2jz would be cheaper to go to a gtte and other upgrades without going into the engine than doing the same with the uz. I know a decent amount on 2jz's but I really don't know much on the uz. I know they're both strong engines but don't know if uz can handle as much as the 2jz. One more thing I would like to know is the variable valve timing (vvt) setup on 98-up models, is there a difference with say going to a gtte or just trying to gain power on either engine as opposed to the models before without vvt.
The 1UZ is quite rewarding to boost because it is rare however it is much more expensive because there is little support for it and much of it must be fabricated.
The 2J enjoys the enthusiastic support of the Supra/Soarer/Chaser community and is much cheaper to boost as a result. Starting with a 5 speed 300 is your simplest option if you want a manual, boosted Sc.
Yes, the 1UZ is wonderful but pricy to boost. Many 1UZ owners opt for nitrous or a supercharger instead with a SAFC for fuel management.
AFAIF, you will have more work to do if swapping a 400 instead of a 300. The harness seems like it may be one difference but consult others on this as I am just starting to "get it".

Good Luck either way!
SG
Old 07-05-15, 11:48 PM
Matromony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 300 and love it but if youre planning on an eventual swap the 400 seems to be the way to go. More power and better fuel economy surprisingly from what i understand