SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Question to all car enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 09:57 PM
RicoLSX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's like getting that hot girl in high school that everyone lusted for. Once you've had it it's like...ehh, is that all? You build this great image of XYZ modded car and once you're there its aura isn't quite the same. Move on to your next vision. I know I have 2943879483493 different types of cars & hybrid motor swaps (LSX, mainly) I'd like to build, I could never have enough time and money to build them all. LSX swapped E92 M3 or a Range Rover Sport. 72 Olds Wagon with an LS. 1992 Toyota pick up (reg cab) with a 1UZFE. Datsun 510 with an S2K motor or the Aurora 4.0 V8. The list goes on and on to infinity.

Originally Posted by TXMAG
Ever driven a 4spd Big Block car?
Or a C5 Z06 around a road course? Or a E36/E46 M3. The SC is a comfortable highway cruiser car, but it was never intended as a hardcore performance car. I love it as a cruiser but it would never substitute as a track toy over a C5Z.
Old 07-12-15, 09:56 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,249 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by carsRimper
What about on AT Sc3s? Would the chassis still be a strength. What about the engine? TO me the engine is a tank and not only cause when the rad cracked in half, I drove on H for several miles! NO HG or leaks.
All SC300's are strong chassis. The 5-speed models aren't any different in that specific regard. The engine is bulletproof but it's never good to let it overheat. Impressive story though!
Old 07-13-15, 07:22 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We build because it gets in the blood & won't let go. So whatever we own @ the current time, we make to fit our personal zen. (or try to)
Old 07-16-15, 01:42 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I agree with both of these statements. The 2JZGTE+V160 is a legendary drivetrain and always will be. From a different era, so are the Ford 427+4-speed, Ford 429 Hemi+4-speed, Chrysler 426 Hemi (or 440)+4-speed, Chevy 454+4-speed and probably the Viper 8.4L V10. The Buick GN 3.8L V6 turbo engine should also be included but it's closer in spirit to the 2JZGTE and is auto-only.

Different approaches from different companies with wildly varying availability and price. But Toyota has yet to best their first and still only legendary engine. I don't count the LF-A V10 because it's unobtanium and no one is going to modify it the way any of the above mentioned bulletproof engines have been for decades.

As for the bang for the buck with the SC chassis in general... that's a no brainer there, aside from cosmetic interior restoration parts being difficult to obtain sometimes.
This is offtopic, but I disagree. Toyota has made some fantastic engines that were / are top in their class of engine: Off the top of my head 4a, 3s, 1jz, 1uz, 2ur, 1lr etc.
Old 07-17-15, 12:46 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,249 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by czar07
This is offtopic, but I disagree. Toyota has made some fantastic engines that were / are top in their class of engine: Off the top of my head 4a, 3s, 1jz, 1uz, 2ur, 1lr etc.
Czar, if you list all of those designs together I can't differ with your opinion I was thinking of the 2JZGTE's very well known popularity and ridiculous durability with modification being in the same league as many of the ancient well known V8's I mentioned but I agree that every single one of those Toyota engines you listed are brilliant designs. I'll add the superb 2ZZ-GE and because it deserves mention... the rare 1GZ-FE V12 even though I've only seen it used in a performance application once.

What I meant about the 1LR-GUE V10 from the LF-A is that while it will absolutely be remembered and revered it won't be tested and pushed tremendously far beyond factory output (or ever be as ubiquitous) as a common world-beating muscle car engine the way the 1JZ-GTE and 2JZ-GTE have been for at least a couple decades now. But that's also apples to oranges.

I should have better clarified the context I was using when stating that the turbo JZ series was Toyota's only legendary engine. They have several of course and they all fill different roles. I just feel that the JZ series is the closest of their many great designs that hit the same everyman/bulletproof/stratospheric-horsepower/swap-into-anything/plentiful-and-available characteristics that many of the best classic big block American (and Australian I might add) V8's from the 60's through early 70's represented.

Now beyond that specific context of comparison I completely agree with you that Toyota has made MANY legendary engines and I stand corrected if I implied otherwise. The xJZ-GTE is only one of them.

And now I'm going to mind the thread topic, myself

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-17-15 at 12:49 AM.