SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Removal of recliner handle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-03, 08:36 PM
808SC300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of recliner handle?

I am having difficulty removing the retaining pin that holds the recliner handle on the seat in. How do i go about doing this easily? The manual says use a screwdriver and take it out....much easier said than done. A tip on the removal of this item will be appreciated.
Old 04-02-03, 09:01 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Definitely tricky.

I just took a long snap-on pick with a hook end to fish it out. You can push on the plastic panel just enuff to expose the pin. There are tools to accomplish this easier.

MW
Old 04-03-03, 12:52 AM
808SC300
Pole Position

Ok,

I'm still having the most trouble in the world on this. Is the pin pushed or pulled?and no matter what.....i can't seem to see it because of the plastic shroud. This is frustrating, i really need to get these leather covers on
Old 04-03-03, 06:02 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think youre doing something wrong, since it shouldn't be too hard to remove. There are 2 ways, one is to use the actual tool, which most people don't have (used for the manual window regulators in older cars). Or just use a small flat head screwdriver. Stick the flat head in between the clip and the pastic. Then either turn the screwdriver or trun the lever (I personally turn the lever). The clip will fly off, hit the seat and fall to the ground, so kjeep an eye out for it.

I'm hoping you have removed the seat already.
Old 04-03-03, 12:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

sounds like you guy are talking about a C-clip. they are a pain, but definately easier to get off with the proper tool than a flathead. a tip for removing a C-clip is to actually use 2 flatheads. one large and one small. take the larger one and hold it against the bottom of the clip and push upwards, then take the smaller one and dig into the top around the pin and pry upwards.
Old 04-03-03, 04:21 PM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

lol, that thing took me an hour to figure out..., even with a constant pcmw help...
Old 04-03-03, 10:22 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

The "tool" is only a couple of bucks if you need it. I really think you are OVER doing it thou. The thing is a paper clip weight piece of metal. Gum on a pencil eraser will even do the trick. I have even used a fork that I bent/broke off the two inner tines from.

MW
Old 10-01-03, 01:47 PM
j0hnyboi
Driver School Candidate

Default sc300 leather seat recliner handle

Originally posted by Keith13b
I think youre doing something wrong, since it shouldn't be too hard to remove. There are 2 ways, one is to use the actual tool, which most people don't have (used for the manual window regulators in older cars). Or just use a small flat head screwdriver. Stick the flat head in between the clip and the pastic. Then either turn the screwdriver or trun the lever (I personally turn the lever). The clip will fly off, hit the seat and fall to the ground, so kjeep an eye out for it.

I'm hoping you have removed the seat already.
Keith.. I'm having trouble removing the recliner as well. You stated to use a flat head screwdriver and stick it in from which position of the seat? There's the tan plastic in the way. I hate the lever. Because of it, I can finish my leather cover replacment. You said the clip would fly off.., if it's so hard to remove it, wouldn't it be more difficult to clip the recliner handle back on? How's that possible? Please help in anyway you can.
Old 10-01-03, 01:52 PM
j0hnyboi
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Removal of recliner handle?

Originally posted by 808SC300
I am having difficulty removing the retaining pin that holds the recliner handle on the seat in. How do i go about doing this easily? The manual says use a screwdriver and take it out....much easier said than done. A tip on the removal of this item will be appreciated.
Did you ever get that recliner handle off of the leather seat? I'm having so much difficulties right now.
Please help me find a way to remove this so called pin that's keeping the handle intacted, and preventing me from changing the leather on it. If the clip is so difficult to remove, how can you install it back? Also, is this clip suppose to be a round clip?
Old 10-01-03, 02:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

JB, please dont bump 2 year old threads two at a time to ask the same question repeatedly. We only need it once. we'll help if we can. i' ve removed the others.
Old 10-02-03, 05:19 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: sc300 leather seat recliner handle

Originally posted by j0hnyboi
Keith.. I'm having trouble removing the recliner as well. You stated to use a flat head screwdriver and stick it in from which position of the seat? There's the tan plastic in the way. I hate the lever. Because of it, I can finish my leather cover replacment. You said the clip would fly off.., if it's so hard to remove it, wouldn't it be more difficult to clip the recliner handle back on? How's that possible? Please help in anyway you can.
The direction depends on wether the seat is tilted all the way forward, or in its normal position. I'm pretty sure I came from the bottom at a slight angle...but it's been awhile...seriously, I can't remember.

Re-installation is easy. Just put the retaining clip on the handle and slip it on. No tools, no fuss.

Simply yanking on the lever could possibly remove it, but it might damage the clip or the handle.

This is so easy to do, but you have to understand how the thing is cliped on in order to remove it.

Find an old car w/ a manual window crank........(I think this is like asking a teenager to find an 8-track tape). See how the crank is attached. Its like a paperclip (who ever mentioned that before-good comparison). Its shaped like an omega. The lever has a round shaft that has the female end of a knurled ****. Around this **** is a slit that will allow the paper clip thing to snap into - like a "c" clip - it attaches lineraly with the cross section of the ****.

Picture a paper towel roll. Use your index finger and thumb, and wrap the two fingers around the roll. Now imagine where your fingers touch the roll on the sides , if the roll had 2 notches on either side cut out so part of your fingers would indent into the roll, and allow your fingers to notch into the roll. This is what the clip is doing. Using a screwdriver, you will insert the flat head part into where the webing of your finger (between your index and thumb) is and turn the screwdriver so that the clip is being lifted off the ****. The indented fingers will "lift out of the hole" and the clip will fling off into another dimention, strike the underside of the seat, and come to rest somewhere that will take you an hour to find it.

For once, re-installation is NOT the same as removal. Take the lever, push the clip into the notch, and with a firm push, just push the lever back on.

I hope the lil' analagy helped. Good luck.

Last edited by Keith13b; 10-02-03 at 05:22 AM.