SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Can't Open the 2nd Gen. Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-03 | 11:24 AM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

Why does the lower half have kind of a reddish tint to it? Are all of them like that or is that just the camera?

I wanted to do this to mod to my car, but I want the bottom to be completly clear with no tint in it.

Thanks
Old 04-18-03 | 02:40 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

all of the 2nd gen. lights have a pinkish tint to it. sorta reminds me of the accord lights.
but as long as theres no orange and red on the bottom, i'm happy with it.
Old 03-10-08 | 08:20 PM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jayesays
hey took me forever to clear out my passenger side lights. the heat gun didnt help any. use the oven trick and you do have to take that last screw out thats what holds it together. good luck.
hate to bring up an old thread but im taking my lights apart right now and doing the passenger side (the one with the key). i cant see, to get the lense apart from the plastic piece that holds the lenses together. any suggestions? (grey plastic holding the 2 sides together)
Old 03-10-08 | 10:39 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

I think the pink comes from the little horizontal lines on the bottom part, maybe from the reflection of the top red part at certain angles of each line.

Those look good, Aznteazer. I want to open mine up at some point, too, and clear the bottom part just like that. I came close to buying some on here but someone beat me to it. I just get so pissed off working on my car usually, like even taking out the tail lights are a PITA but it's a little easier the second time, I guess like with anything.

Last edited by SClean4; 03-10-08 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-11-08 | 12:40 AM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

i think i have a simple solution to the pinkish hue at the bottom. wont know if it will really do the job till a couple of hours from now so, fingers crossed.
Old 03-11-08 | 01:48 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RaynArt
i think i have a simple solution to the pinkish hue at the bottom. wont know if it will really do the job till a couple of hours from now so, fingers crossed.
Subscribed.
Old 03-11-08 | 02:00 AM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

got 1 light done (passenger). no signs of color at the bottom atm. buuuuut, its 4am so 1 more light to go and i'll probably take pics during the day as the night doesnt help.
Old 03-11-08 | 03:20 AM
labrealiv
Driver

Default Taillights w/ cracked lens

Originally Posted by RaynArt
hate to bring up an old thread but im taking my lights apart right now and doing the passenger side (the one with the key). i cant see, to get the lense apart from the plastic piece that holds the lenses together. any suggestions? (grey plastic holding the 2 sides together)

Well, double sorry here since I may be hi-jacking this ancient thread....

As you guys are working on your taillights, any suggestions for cracked lens?

Short-term question: anything I can use to "plug" the cracks to prevent condensation? (super glue?!)

Long term: does the whole housing have to be replaced? Or only the lens?

Thanks!

(I posted this question in "Lighting" forum but no help)
Old 03-11-08 | 04:34 AM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

yea it is an ancient thread but its easier than starting a new one and certain things can be open to discussion again need be.

cracked lens where exactly, what part of the lense. i had some cracks, thankfully nothing outside and visible. temp solution for me would be super glue lightly.

well the lights are finished and on the car. dash light is still on for some reason......... faulty harness? all lights are working properly.

1st light (pass side) took 2hrs. driver side took 45mins since things were more comfortable and had a better idea what to do.

original that everyones familiar with.

open lens, no backing. nice but way too clear.

finished driver side. (no pics of pass. side as i forgot to take a pic and already put it on the car)

sorry for the yellow'ish house lighting. better pics on the car and outdoors tomorrow. all i can say so far is that i think mine looks whiter rather than clearer ones from others ive seen here. i didnt use a clear styrene sheet. no bulbs are visible. the color tint is yet to be really known till it sees the daytime.

oh, turn bulbs were replaced with amber ones as the originals are clear. the brake lights i just used the cheap bulb condom thing as it was clear too and needed to be red.

Last edited by RaynArt; 03-11-08 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-11-08 | 05:57 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

yours look great ryanart, i bought that styrene stuff as well, picked up a sheet from lowes but i had a hell of a timing cutting it clean, and i couldn't get the middle frame part of the taililght off on the tail with the trunk key, so i just popped out all the colored pieces and went with the cleared out tails with no styrene, yours looks real good though definetly looks whiter/cleaner then some others i've seen
Old 03-11-08 | 04:13 PM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

ill take better pics when i got time but just got home and snapped some quick ones. id have to say im very happy with it. everything is one solid color and no bulbs are visible. there is though a very slight tint of red i think that really comes from the top but you be the judge.

its just me parked at home with the winter wheels on so nothing special and lots of reflections in the taillights so might throw u off a bit.

Last edited by RaynArt; 03-11-08 at 04:17 PM.