SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

5spd owners - don't wait too long to replace the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-15, 08:33 AM
ccotenj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my somewhat educated guess is that while trying to deal with the worn clutch, she beat the hell out of many shifts... i should have worded my op more clearly... sorry about that...

yes, new clutch first, (799 parts/labor), which is what revealed "a problem"... i wish i had "heard" the problem before having the clutch done, it would have at least saved me the labor on having the trans removed/installed twice...

much grinding on downshifts unless double clutched... given the fact that the new clutch restored a considerable amount of "go" to the car, i would hazard a guess that the worn one was slipping quite badly, and "masking" the synchro issues that had developed because of poor shifting technique (due to the worn clutch)...

no new flywheel... in retrospect, i'm somewhat surprised that it is still good, given the amount of slippage that had to be going on...

trans rebuild:

labor: remove/rebuild/install - $1339.50
gasket and seal kit - $355.84
transmission fluid - 58.50
synchronizer & rings - 291.10
shift forks (2) - 196.70
small parts kit - 161.59
synchro ring kit - 168.23

feel free to fire holes in my theory, i may be old, but i'm never to old to learn...

it was expensive, and the while the possibiity exists that i may have been taken, the combination of the new clutch/rebuilt tranny is very nice... it actually accelerates again, and shifting is tight and crisp...
Old 09-05-15, 09:04 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ccotenj
my somewhat educated guess is that while trying to deal with the worn clutch, she beat the hell out of many shifts... i should have worded my op more clearly... sorry about that...

yes, new clutch first, (799 parts/labor), which is what revealed "a problem"... i wish i had "heard" the problem before having the clutch done, it would have at least saved me the labor on having the trans removed/installed twice...

much grinding on downshifts unless double clutched... given the fact that the new clutch restored a considerable amount of "go" to the car, i would hazard a guess that the worn one was slipping quite badly, and "masking" the synchro issues that had developed because of poor shifting technique (due to the worn clutch)...

no new flywheel... in retrospect, i'm somewhat surprised that it is still good, given the amount of slippage that had to be going on...

trans rebuild:

shift forks (2) - 196.70
small parts kit - 161.59

feel free to fire holes in my theory, i may be old, but i'm never to old to learn...

it was expensive, and the while the possibiity exists that i may have been taken, the combination of the new clutch/rebuilt tranny is very nice... it actually accelerates again, and shifting is tight and crisp...

Dude,

In the interest of clarity I'll ask a few questions.

Before any work was done the car barely shifted because of a severely worn clutch. The stick shift would have to be muscled into gear in addition to the double clutching you refer to? During this time there was grinding noises and this occurred over several months, a year? After having the new clutch installed the car shifted normally but the grinding noises were still there? You personally experienced this or did the garage call you to say, "the car shifts fine now but there's noise from the transmission during the test drive."

Last edited by freakness; 09-05-15 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-05-15, 09:14 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ccotenj

trans rebuild:

shift forks (2) - 196.70
small parts kit - 161.59

Sounds better now.