SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What's a clean SC3/SC400 worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 12:54 AM
soloist3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's a clean SC3/SC400 worth?

Ok, so I have an IS350, LOVE that car, I mean, love it, but, taking it to work everyday leaving it out in the sun, and having nothing else to take on long trips means it is becoming the daily driver, which I don't want. Thankfully it only has 58k miles on it (it's a 2008) and doesn't have any door dings or anything yet (don't even know how I have been so lucky), but I am looking for something older as a daily driver and I am looking into SC's and GS's. Of course I love having a RWD car, can't stand FWD, so these are appealing. The SC300 has tons of potential having the 2JZ-GE in there, could do an NA-T really easily but, to be honest, I am only looking for something with 300-320hp and that's right where the 400 is, so I have been thinking that is the better way to go. My question is, how much is a good condition 1998 SC400 (or 300) worth these days? I have found a couple clean examples of SC400's, both have about 130k miles (low-ish), sellers are asking $7000 for them, seems awfully high for a 17 year old car that is nowhere near "cream puff" status. Blue book puts these cars at 4000-4400i in excellent with 120k miles, but the majority of 400 owners give me the "nobody uses blue book" line when I bring it up. I guess I am just curious to know how realistic I am being in searching for a clean (or at least presentable) 1998 SC400 with under 150k miles with a budget of $4000-5000.
Old 09-21-15, 01:26 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

The 98-00 SC400 carries a bit of a premium because the sale/production numbers dwindled in the last years. I think those 3 years combined are a fraction of SC400 sales in 1992. If you wanted a 97 model it would be doable in your budget, but finding a 98-00 SC400 for sale might take a while since they don't pop up for sale as often.
Old 09-21-15, 11:34 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah a 98+ 400 with no major problems and good cosmetic condition usually commands $6-$8k. Even more if its under 90k miles.

For the vvti v8's blue book doesn't really account for the rarity or desirability of the car. There are less of them than there are 5speed sc300's. Somewhere between 2,300-2,400 according to the Lexus production numbers. And a portion of those have been presumably wrecked/totalled. While kbb seems to just consider the average price of an sc400 across all production years. Which realistically, $4,000 is pretty accurate for the pre98 sc4's when they're in great condition.

If you go sc3 and want a stick $4,000-$5,000 is realistic for a 5speed in decent condition without crazy miles a d no mechanical issues. Although clean examples can be found for $2,000-$3,000 if you're willing to wait 3-4 months for one to pop up and are willing to travel for it.

Texas has a pretty sizable market of sc's though so it's much better than trying to find one in New Mexico or Washington.
Old 09-21-15, 11:43 AM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
Yeah a 98+ 400 with no major problems and good cosmetic condition usually commands $6-$8k. Even more if its under 90k miles.

For the vvti v8's blue book doesn't really account for the rarity or desirability of the car. There are less of them than there are 5speed sc300's. Somewhere between 2,300-2,400 according to the Lexus production numbers. And a portion of those have been presumably wrecked/totalled. While kbb seems to just consider the average price of an sc400 across all production years. Which realistically, $4,000 is pretty accurate for the pre98 sc4's when they're in great condition.

If you go sc3 and want a stick $4,000-$5,000 is realistic for a 5speed in decent condition without crazy miles a d no mechanical issues. Although clean examples can be found for $2,000-$3,000 if you're willing to wait 3-4 months for one to pop up and are willing to travel for it.

Texas has a pretty sizable market of sc's though so it's much better than trying to find one in New Mexico or Washington.
Not trying to steal the thread, I purchased a 1998 SC400 for $5500 which was at 171k miles. Do you think that it was a fair price? It's been a while since I've bought and I love the car just wonder from time to time if I overpaid. The condition of the paint was great for a 171k car except the front bumper's paint was peeling off. No mechanical issues whatsoever.

Also OP, if you're reading this. The 98+ SC400s are a bit underrated due to having low production numbers, but I have to tell you, these cars are damn fast and butter smooth. Great for dailying and sometimes pushing the accelerator.
Old 09-21-15, 05:05 PM
soloist3
Driver

I see, yeah, the V8 with the VVTi is why I was in this to begin with I guess I am just thinking that for that much money I am very close to getting another IS350, albeit a higher mileage one (maybe 130/150k), which is interestingly right where the pricey SC400's are at (mileage wise)

Well, how about 1998 SC300's, same thing? I would think that the VVTi would be a hinderance to the tuner community (make tuning more difficult), making them less desirable/attractive; though again, having the 2jz-xxx motor in there means it will ALWAYS be desirable. If you haven't guessed already I have already found a nice SC4 AND a nice SC3, both with about the same mileage, both asking the same money, both are 1998's. I am deciding what a fair price would be to offer them, they are both asking pretty much the same money 6800-6900. Looks like the seller is asking a good price for the SC4, perhaps I could make payments. I bought my IS350 outright, took me forever to save up that much cash, perhaps given the rarity I should just go for the SC4, finance a couple thousand
Old 09-21-15, 05:13 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Unless you are an ace mechanic you better stick to the 400. Look around at all the used car sites and compare miles and prices. 98 and up is not going to be on the cheap. Hard to find in my area.
Old 09-21-15, 05:15 PM
lexuscfour
Rookie

There's a car dealership down here that has a 2000 Sandstone Beige for $5900 cash. Looked pretty clean when I passed by. Honestly, I wouldn't spend more than $6500 on a super clean example. Anything less than super clean I'd be willing to go anywhere from $3500 to $5000.
Old 09-21-15, 05:44 PM
soloist3
Driver

That is exactly how I feel, do you have the link to the dealer? I don't mind traveling for something nice
Old 09-21-15, 10:12 PM
Tremander
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i had to choose again I'd probably go for an SC4 just because I don't think ill be turning my SC3 into a boosted monster, which if that's you too then definitely go SC400. Gas mileage is identical. The SC300 has a 4.27 gear ratio so it kinda sucks on the freeway, being at about 3000rpm at 70mph isn't what im normally used to lol.

Either way you'll win. Cant beat either engine for reliability! Adding the 96-97 models will only help too, unless you're stuck on a VVT model.
Old 09-21-15, 10:41 PM
soloist3
Driver

^ Boy is that ever helpful, I had a G35 that spun 4000k RPM's at 80-90mph, I hated it so much that I sold the car, despite it being a really great car otherwise. Are the 98+ SC3's the same, or are you referring to the 98+? I am really hoping to rule out the SC300 as it does not really have enough power for me right away, and while I feel easily comfortable with tearing the motor out or slapping on a turbo, I just don't know if I want that in my life these days; knowing me, it would detract from focusing on the more important things in life, advancing career, family, etc..., I could easily get lost in a turbo build.

Last edited by soloist3; 09-21-15 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-22-15, 12:47 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by soloist3
^ Boy is that ever helpful, I had a G35 that spun 4000k RPM's at 80-90mph, I hated it so much that I sold the car, despite it being a really great car otherwise. Are the 98+ SC3's the same, or are you referring to the 98+? I am really hoping to rule out the SC300 as it does not really have enough power for me right away, and while I feel easily comfortable with tearing the motor out or slapping on a turbo, I just don't know if I want that in my life these days; knowing me, it would detract from focusing on the more important things in life, advancing career, family, etc..., I could easily get lost in a turbo build.
Well since you want a daily vehicle, going boost on a 2j isn't really worth it. It's hard to find a 98+ SC400 but if you do find one, that would be great. More than enough power, I get 2.3k rpms when going on ~75mph. Another reason why I'm pushing for you to get a SC400 is because I want CL owners to have those, owners on CL take care of their vehicles and with such rarity of a SC400 it be awesome if you have one. Since these cars are not THAT expensive, average consumers buy it and don't treat it that well. With such low production numbers I wonder how many of them are actually left...
Old 09-22-15, 01:59 PM
scblackout
Pole Position

We recently had a 98 sc400 with under 100k miles that was listed on craigs for $5k. It stayed for almost 3 months before I finally gave up, drove the 80 miles to check it out. I would give the car an 8/10 interior and 9/10 exterior. I picked the car up for $2700, spent another 3-400 on maintenance and gave it to my brother.

I drive a 96 sc300 5sp, and I have to say there is no comparison. The 400 destroys my 300 on the road, it's not even close. While my car came with rattles between every plastic piece ever made for the car, the 400 had virtually zero rattles. Now that more comes down to the previous owner of mine being an idiot and the 400 owner had a book of receipts for dealer maintenance.

If I weren't planning on NA-T this winter, then I would dump my 300 for the 400 as a daily driver without a second thought. Even loosing the 5sp didn't bother me as the stock power difference is enormous.

I think what it really comes down to on the 98-00 400's is that most dealers and private sellers don't really understand how much better the new models are. They seem to get lumped together in price and if your patient you can find a great deal out there.
Old 09-22-15, 02:01 PM
scblackout
Pole Position

Side note:
If the rpm's at freeway speed bother you, then simply change the rear end gear ratio. It only takes an afternoon and there are more than enough options out there for you to find the gears with the effect you are after.
Old 09-22-15, 04:47 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Lexuscfour, I bet that car has high miles on it. A 2000 is the hardest to find.
Old 09-22-15, 06:01 PM
soloist3
Driver

Wow, a 1998 SC400 with under 100k miles for $2700? I don't even know what to say, that's easily 2.5 TIMES cheaper than anything I have ever seen for sale lately. I am trying to "wear down" the seller with the 400, HOPING I can get him to take $4000-4500, which is top book value. I really love the idea of another RWD Lexus next to the IS350, I have really come to despise FWD cars in general (I used to own Acura Legend Coupes, had a few of those). I keep my cars as flawless as possible, cars I own are essentially destined to be showroom condition, well unless something out of the ordinary happens that is out of my control, like someone backing into it, unavoidable hail storm, etc.

Also, regarding the SC300's highway RPM's, yes, I could swap out rear diff to change the RPM's on the highway, the problem there is that I am going to sacrifice the nice torque down low. Either way, you are in a trade-off situation, just as I was with the G35. Sure the G35 had just enough torque down low, but it only did so with the shortest final drive possible, meaning that I was destined to be unhappy with that car's performance off the line if I wanted the car to be more calm at highway speeds.

Hoping a 1998 model comes up that is right in that sweet spot between $4k-5k with under or at 150k miles. We'll see, scblackout's deal is probably never going to happen again, though hopefully I can get close Either way, I am looking nationwide and don't mind hopping a plane (if the car is really nice) and driving it back.

Quick Reply: What's a clean SC3/SC400 worth?