SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

CD changer problem please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-15, 03:30 AM
brad450363
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD changer problem please help!!!!

sc300 1997 put some new CD in my changer but i dont think the first few seated right if it matters....any way got home to take them out because the fist disc kept reading error so i assumed it wasn't all the way in and i think i opened it before it was done ejecting so now it wont come up.....when its closed it blinks and you can hear the motor just run and run when its open the light just stays on.... when i bought the car the original owner said to never open it to early because this has happened to him a couple time and he took it to Lexus and they fixed it.....of course this slips my mind when im in a hurry anyone know how they got it to come out? i know there cheap but come on i aint about the buy equipment that old lol if i had the money i would just replace the radio in general
Old 09-27-15, 06:25 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to upgrade your stereo system. The trunk changers are NOT worth the effort to fix....and the all go bad bout this time. If it isn't the eject mechanism, it's a bad laser that doesn't like being cleaned.
Old 07-07-16, 12:43 PM
McFlyboy
Driver School Candidate

Default How & with what gear do you upgrade?

Originally Posted by Sweatshop
Time to upgrade your stereo system. The trunk changers are NOT worth the effort to fix....and the all go bad bout this time. If it isn't the eject mechanism, it's a bad laser that doesn't like being cleaned.

What upgrade gear do you suggest? Thanks! McFlyboy
Old 07-08-16, 10:45 AM
Rezist09
Driver School Candidate

Remove all get kenwood or junk yard for new one
Old 07-08-16, 12:59 PM
McFlyboy
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you Rezist09!

Originally Posted by Rezist09
Remove all get kenwood or junk yard for new one
Been checking junk yards but am dubious I would receive much time listening to my CD's on another 20 YO unit? Any particular Kenwood system you can suggest?
Much Respect,
McFlyboy
Old 07-08-16, 01:17 PM
dhnash
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the CD changer in my SC300 serviced by United Radio (800-448-0944). The last time I did this the cost was around $225 which was their flat rate charge. After the service was completed the unit worked like new. It might be worth checking with them to see if they can help you with the problem you have.
Old 07-21-16, 11:52 AM
McFlyboy
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you VERY much for your help!!! I will give them a call :-) Michael

Thanks for your help! Very much appreciated!!
Originally Posted by dhnash
I've had the CD changer in my SC300 serviced by United Radio (800-448-0944). The last time I did this the cost was around $225 which was their flat rate charge. After the service was completed the unit worked like new. It might be worth checking with them to see if they can help you with the problem you have.
Old 07-21-16, 02:06 PM
10thMtnLex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Getting the cartridge out of the original 12 disc changer is not all that difficult, the cartridge is held in by two little hooks on each side (1 fender-side, 1 center of trunk-side, not front/rear of car) at the bottom of the groove in the cartridge. Use a couple big paperclips or bailing wire to make a release, fetch down the groove on the sides of the cartridge, push the hook away from the cartridge, should release and allow removal of cartridge and CDs. Does nothing to fix any other issue with the changer but will allow you to retrieve your CDs. Good Luck, and sorry if I have completely misunderstood the OP's query.
Old 07-21-16, 02:30 PM
McFlyboy
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks very much. I have a 6 CD changer that won't read the discs.

My problem is different: My cartridge pops out fine..... Just can't get the CDs to play: Get a message:"Err". And NO music. But thanks very much for taking your time. Much appreciated !!!
Old 08-10-16, 08:49 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Old thread but, just for information, if this is like the other Lexus CD players the CD's need to have the label side down and the play side up. If they are not then you get the Err.
Old 08-12-16, 11:51 AM
McFlyboy
Driver School Candidate

Default Got em in correctly :-) Thanks anyway

Thanks very much for taking the time to responder dicer! They ran fine for 10 years but now.....:-( So the hunt continues. )
Originally Posted by dicer
Old thread but, just for information, if this is like the other Lexus CD players the CD's need to have the label side down and the play side up. If they are not then you get the Err.
Old 08-12-16, 01:52 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Definitely label side up for the SC's changer. The owner's manual confirms it, and label side down is so counter-intuitive, I would only believe it if I saw it with my own eyes.
Old 08-12-16, 01:57 PM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The old Pioneer 6 disk changers (home and car) were label side down. It makes the changer magazine much easier to construct since you can have a spin/slide out tray that only needs a hole for the shaft to spin the disk and just read it from the fully exposed side.
Old 08-12-16, 02:10 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by matguy
The old Pioneer 6 disk changers (home and car) were label side down.
I stand semi-corrected then. Did the SC use that style with the Pioneer system or just older Pioneers in general?

It makes the changer magazine much easier to construct since you can have a spin/slide out tray that only needs a hole for the shaft to spin the disk and just read it from the fully exposed side.
Design convenience is bad design when it's begging to be used improperly. I'm surprised a company of Pioneer's stature would go that route. No wonder changers got such a bad rap.
Old 08-12-16, 02:46 PM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I stand semi-corrected then. Did the SC use that style with the Pioneer system or just older Pioneers in general?

Design convenience is bad design when it's begging to be used improperly. I'm surprised a company of Pioneer's stature would go that route. No wonder changers got such a bad rap.
They were the fairly early 6 disk cartridge changers, I had one in 1990-ish (home.) I think the LS400 might have used some of those cartridges, but I'm not sure. Either way, it's a learn once situation: flip 'em over. Nothing is broken by doing it wrong. And the cartridges were pretty reliable, I used to carry them around all over and the worse that seemed to happen was the locking mechanism that made it only allow one disk tray to be pulled out at a time would stop working (also known as a tiny ball bearing would fall out) and the cartridge would still work (in a home player, not sure about a car player that's not held horizontally.)