SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lost my only key!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-15, 04:26 PM
Jetsfool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my only key!

Hey guys, I own a 1997 SC 400 and as the title implies, I'm in a crappy situation. From the research I've conducted, it looks like the 97 keys don't have transponders in them, but after calling two different Lexus dealerships, I've lost some hope. Neither could tell me for sure 97s have transponders and basically said they could cut a key but if it doesn't work, I'm SOL. Could anyone who may have been in this situation before tell me if I have a transponder key or not?

Thanks in advance for any help. Maybe when I can actually move the car and get it cleaned up I'll take some pictures, lol.
Old 10-25-15, 05:21 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

IIRC, the transponder is separate from the key. Some keys did come with a transponder though. You can get a aftermarket transponder button and program it with your transponder, there are some tutorials online for it. If you've lost the key with the chip in it, then Lexus will have to give you a completely new key with a new chip and the old key won't work (ignition). Opening the car doors however doesn't need the chip.
Old 10-25-15, 08:29 PM
Jetsfool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait, are the transponder and the chip in the key two different things then? I'm a little confused. My fear here is that I'm not sure if my key had a chip in it, and that I might end up wasting 150 dollars at Lexus on a key that won't start my car. And on top of that, I've read it costs like $1200 for a new Immobilizer that'll work with a new key...

**** is stressful, man.
Old 10-25-15, 08:59 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

I can't say for the old SCs but my SC did come with a key that has a chip inside it. From what I heard from Lexus was that they reprogram the chip so it works with your vehicle and copy the info from that chip if you want to make a copy. So if you lost your master key, they have to copy new info or something to your new chip or reprogram it. Since I haven't done this before, I don't know if it's for new or old vehicles.

Now as for the transponder, it's separate from the chip. So you can buy a separate transponder and reprogram it.
Old 10-25-15, 09:32 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by DrAtomica
I can't say for the old SCs but my SC did come with a key that has a chip inside it. From what I heard from Lexus was that they reprogram the chip so it works with your vehicle and copy the info from that chip if you want to make a copy. So if you lost your master key, they have to copy new info or something to your new chip or reprogram it. Since I haven't done this before, I don't know if it's for new or old vehicles.

Now as for the transponder, it's separate from the chip. So you can buy a separate transponder and reprogram it.
I'm so confused from reading this. Maybe its because I'm confusing the terminology. What are you referring to when you say transponder and chip?

Originally Posted by Jetsfool
Wait, are the transponder and the chip in the key two different things then? I'm a little confused. My fear here is that I'm not sure if my key had a chip in it, and that I might end up wasting 150 dollars at Lexus on a key that won't start my car. And on top of that, I've read it costs like $1200 for a new Immobilizer that'll work with a new key...

**** is stressful, man.
To answer your question a 97 should start with the key from the dealership. If you have a 98-00, then you'll be out of $1,200.

Pay the dealer to cut your key using the VIN, and then immediately go to a lock smith that can cut lexus keys, so you have a cheap spare.
Old 10-25-15, 09:37 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

By transponder I mean this thing, now I have a 98 SC400 so as I said things are a bit different.

You can open doors and the trunk with it, the chip to ignite the car is only in the key itself.
So you can use the same key but a different transponder if you lets say lose the transponder or get's broken.
You can also reprogram the car to use the new transponder.
Old 10-25-15, 10:12 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by DrAtomica
By transponder I mean this thing, now I have a 98 SC400 so as I said things are a bit different.

You can open doors and the trunk with it, the chip to ignite the car is only in the key itself.
So you can use the same key but a different transponder if you lets say lose the transponder or get's broken.
You can also reprogram the car to use the new transponder.
I have a 98 too, and I've broken about 5 keys since getting my car. I finally bought eternity keys and haven't regretted it since.

The immobilizer chip to start the car is in that "transponder" that allows you to lock, unlock, and open the trunk. The 3 button key doesn't have an immobilizer chip inside of the key itself, so if you were to break your key you can buy a replacement shell, cut the blade, swap the transponder, and start your car.

Now, if you were to get a regular master key or a valet key for the 98-00 it has an immobilizer chip in it.

As far as programming the transponder goes a car can only have 4 keys registered to it at any given time (2 original masters and 1 valet when you buy the car new plus an extra slot for a replacement key). An original master key is also mandatory to program future keys. Without the master key the computer has to be replaced which leads to the $1,200 price tag mentioned by the original poster.
Old 10-25-15, 10:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,950 Likes on 2,485 Posts

The transponder chip is not separate from the key, don't confuse that with the remote. I looked up the part number for your key 90999-00220 and got conflicting info as to what year range it fits but it seems like the key does not have a transponder. If not then a cut key will start the car, you will need a key anyway so I'd get one cut.

If your car does have the transponder security setup then there are services on Ebay that will reprogram your ECU and send it back with a working key this usually costs about $200. I see you are in Ontario search Kijiji for key cutting lexus

Last edited by LeX2K; 10-25-15 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-25-15, 10:18 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

I always thought the transponder was the remote.. and the box that gave out the signal was somewhere in the trunk, like the LS400 and it only responded to the remote and not the chip. Well it's great that now I finally know.
Old 10-25-15, 10:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,950 Likes on 2,485 Posts

There is a transponder chip in the key on the later models, the car won't run if the ECU doesn't see that chip and get back the proper response. The term is short for transmitter+responder. You can open the door manually with such a key and start the car and drive no remote used.