SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

OUCH!!cracked the bodykit again

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-03, 11:16 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OUCH!cracked the bodykit again

Dang I got a small crack on my veilside front bumper.
Is there anyway to re-enforce or make the fiberglass bodykits stronger?
I don't mind the rock chips and stuff but the damm thing is so fragile.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-11-03 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-11-03, 04:11 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again?? Big D, stop nudgin' pedestrians with the VS bumper, enhance your calm...
No prob to reinforce 'glass, they just need to lay in some reinforcing strips on the backside and 'resinate' them in, call that weird Greek dude that you used after those mooks took a rock drill to your bumper...

- LL
Old 04-11-03, 06:06 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

wow, how big is the crack? i've had no problems with my kit yet.

what i've heard some guys doing is reinforcing (sp?) the fiberglass bumper with some metal so that it wont' crack as easily. as they are fixing the crack with fiberglass, might as well get some extra hardener and some webbing and put that sucker in the back of your bumper to make it stronger. worth a shot. If i get crack my bumper, hopefully not, then i'll be going this route. I hope this helps.
Old 04-11-03, 07:35 PM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

few words of advice for NYC/NJ drivers with bodykitsthings VS, one I never drive in manhattan (EVER), I never park on the street (if i do it's miles away from anybody), if you go to the mall (gotta park at the end and be up for the long walk, we pay a price for having nice rides), don't **** anybody off in your town that knows where you live, and finally park inside a garage (people will literally park with there car inside your bumper just to fit.

REMEMBER WE HAVE BY FAR THE WORSE ROADS OUT OF ANY PLACE IN THE COUNTRY AND THATS A FACT NYC HAS POT HOLES THAT EAT CHILDREN AND NICE BODY KITS AND CRACK RIMS

WORDS TO LIVE BY

Vinnie
Old 04-11-03, 08:17 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amen..............
Old 04-12-03, 03:11 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just don't hit stuff...

Didn't someone just recently break a polyurathane kit too? Nothing is indestructable....at least fiberglass is easily fixable...
Old 04-12-03, 05:41 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

luthor: that guy jumped out of nowhere.

bladez: I live in manhattan. there is still 8months wait for a good parking facility

manaray: at least I didn't break the polyU.

do-luck: Just ordered crossweave 10.1oz density carbon fiber sheet, some resin and kevlar re-enforcement, and web backing...
Old 04-12-03, 10:33 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Manaray
Just don't hit stuff...

Only the women, right player?
Old 04-12-03, 07:53 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
holler!!
Old 04-13-03, 01:56 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
That goes unsaid bro, you know that!

(and before the "PC" club jump up and get their panties in a bunch, when we say "hit", we're not talking about physical violence...well, maybe a little bit depending on what you're into.. )
Old 04-13-03, 02:18 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Old school FG tech advice.

Reinforcing is fine (CF may be a waste of money for what you are trying to do), your be$t bet is to use a low viscosity foam as well (small expanding, that you can apply with a brush) so that when/if the kit is hit or cracked it will require minimal bodywork to fix.

Unless you reinforce the entire bumper (FG or CF) it will cause 'weak spots' in the structure when hit, which could cause even more damage than if left alone.

The foam will make sure that it keeps its shape if cracked and has a bit of 'give' ANDDDDDD it also makes for a quiet ride.

The people that installed the fiberglass kit should have known or told you this (unless you did it yourself) but whatever the case may be.... good luck, it’s an easy DIY project.

I'll send yoo a bill
Old 04-13-03, 08:20 AM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

Another thing you might wanna consider VS. I have my bomex front bumper reinforced with aluminum plating behind the fiberglass. It does add a significant amount of extra support (of course I don't plan on truly testing it's durability anytime soon ....but i can say somebody did bump the front and i didn't have a scratch/dent/or crack.....

AND ON A SIDE NOT IM ALL SOUPED JUST GOT ANGEL EYES ON MY HEADLIGHTS AND IT LOOKS HOT..ALSO MY CARBON FIBER STEERING WHEEL JUST GAME BACK FROM AMERICAN STITCHES...PICS WILL BE POSTED SOON..AND MY ANGEL EYES WEREN'T BY THAT COMPANY WE CAN'T POST ON HERE...THESE ARE TRUE LED RINGS UNLIKE THE LOW LIGHT EMITTING ONES THAT OTHER PLACE SELLS...
Old 04-13-03, 09:46 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any clues on HOW to FIX fiberglass kits? My friend with a Accord just cracked his front bumper a bit...

I went to my body shop and they said to buy some fiberglass and then sand it down until its smooth..

Do I buy fiberglass from like Home Depot? I never brought fiberglass before..Whats the best way to DYI repair fiberglass method?
Old 04-13-03, 01:09 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Forget Home Depot, go to Pep Boys or other reputable auto parts shop. They should have a whole section on body repair including how-to books, fiberglass, bondo, sandpaper, primer, and touch up paint (although my local Lexus dealer gives touch up paint for FREE You should check your local dealer to see if he does as well!). You can also do a web search. There's lots of info about fiberglass repair on the web.

PS - It really is easy... the resin mixes up like epoxy and you just smear it on, put the fiberglass mat over it, and smear the resin on the mat. When it hardens, just sand and finish. Piece of cake Of course, there's a*bit* more to it than that, but that's the general idea. Plus FG is a great DIY project 'cause you can redo it as often as it takes to get it the way you want

Last edited by wmulli; 04-13-03 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-14-03, 07:02 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow thanks Wmulli!

Great info..