SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Stereo How-Tos

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-03, 01:30 AM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Stereo How-Tos

I found these while surfin around. I thought you guys might be interested.

http://carstereohelp.com/strlexus.htm
Old 04-15-03, 01:35 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanx DuB

Thanx alot DuB, This site is awesome it will help me alot

I am sure alot of other Cl members will find it useful

Shawn
Old 04-15-03, 09:03 AM
vj604
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats cool and all but now id really liek to see if some of the stereo guys on this particular forum can answer all the simple questions about stereos and we sticky it to this page....

i mean, i am fairly knowledgable and can learn about car audio but im still stumped as to what im going to do to replace my head unit....

i mean, im going to pull out the satock stereo and changer if i do this..and im i going to run new wires from the new head unit to the amp that i will put in the trunk? and from there...am i banking on the fact that connectors for the 7 speakers are sitting right there and i can just hook em up? what about a remote turn on....

for my subwoofer, i have one hooked to the stock amp. doesnt kick at all...when i buy an aftermarket 2 channel 300w amp and bridge it for this sub, (btw, i am going to daisy chain it to the stock amp for now since i have the stock head unit), how do i do the remote turn on for that? how do i make sure it goes off when i turn the car off? do i hook it to the ignition? if so, where is that?

also, when i get a new head unit, and a 4 channel amp for inside, how do i hook up the tweeters?

how do i hook up the sub and its amp? is there a sub out on the back of a head unit? are we talking RCA connectors everywhere or speaker wire?

these are legitimate questions that i dont know the answer to.....so you see what im getting at....feel free to help..heh. if you can search and find threads, post the links..ive found some answers but not a lot......sucks to be inexperienced huh..

VJ
gte124w@prism.gatech.edu
Old 04-15-03, 06:07 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up thanks!

Great link! Thanks for the info. This should be put in the FAQ. Best instruction on interior disassembly I have seen.
Old 04-15-03, 06:36 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm glad you guys found the link useful

Originally posted by vj604
i mean, im going to pull out the satock stereo and changer if i do this..and im i going to run new wires from the new head unit to the amp that i will put in the trunk?
Depending on the company you use, it'll probably have at least one control wire that runs from the headunit to the changer, and maybe normal RCA wires to carry the signal, if it isn't already contained in the proprietary control wire.

and from there...am i banking on the fact that connectors for the 7 speakers are sitting right there and i can just hook em up?
I'm not sure about that one, but I'm pretty sure the factory amp will have wires for all the speakers right there. It wouldn't hurt, and might actually help a lot to run your own wires though.

what about a remote turn on....
The headunit will have a remote wire coming out of the wire harness on the back. Just run a wire with the changer cables to the back, and hook that up to all of your amps.

for my subwoofer, i have one hooked to the stock amp. doesnt kick at all...when i buy an aftermarket 2 channel 300w amp and bridge it for this sub, (btw, i am going to daisy chain it to the stock amp for now since i have the stock head unit), how do i do the remote turn on for that?
Same remote wire from the headunit mentioned above.

how do i make sure it goes off when i turn the car off? do i hook it to the ignition? if so, where is that?
No need to tap into the ignition wires. The 12+ remote wire will be hot whenever the headunit is turned on, and off when the headunit is off.

also, when i get a new head unit, and a 4 channel amp for inside, how do i hook up the tweeters?
Are you buying new speakers for the front? if so, there'll be some way to connect it to just one set of connections, whether it be a crossover, or inline capacitors covering the job of a crossover. Otherwise, I'm not sure how your tweeters are hooked up in your cars... In my 4Runner, the stock tweeters just had inline capacitors.

how do i hook up the sub and its amp? is there a sub out on the back of a head unit?
Depending on the headunit you buy, one of the features may be a non-fading output which would be for the sub, or it could just be labeled subwoofer output. You would run another RCA from that to the sub amp. Otherwise, if your 4-channel amp has an output, you can run RCAs from that amp's output to the input on the sub amp.

are we talking RCA connectors everywhere or speaker wire?
RCAs should be run (depending on your equipement) between the HeadUnit-->Changer, HU-->4-channel amp, and HU-->sub amp.
Speaker wire between the sub and sub amp, and, if you want, 4-channel amp and interior speakers.

these are legitimate questions that i dont know the answer to.....so you see what im getting at....feel free to help..heh. if you can search and find threads, post the links..ive found some answers but not a lot......sucks to be inexperienced huh..

VJ
gte124w@prism.gatech.edu
Hope that helped

Last edited by DuB; 04-15-03 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-15-03, 09:02 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by vj604

VJ
gte124w@prism.gatech.edu

I'll help you. I've covered most of that, including posting all the wiring colours and what they connect to, so do me a solid and use the search engine to see if you can cover most of this thru past posts. Anything left over after searching (I mean thoroughly), just re-post your specific questions here and i'll answer them all.

- LL
Old 04-15-03, 10:15 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Guys over there are great. They couldn't fix my CD changer so they sent it back to me free of charge.
It was a pleasure dealing with them.

Old 04-15-03, 10:27 PM
vj604
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey lex, ive been reading a lot of your posts...and thanks a lot to both of you.

this project looks pretty simple for those who are tech oriented....sounds like a good days worht of work and ill be done with it..save installing amps into the trunk and makin it look clean...worry about that later. the hardest part is tearing up the inside of the car...this car sucks to take apart!!! eitherway, project begins in a few weeks and ill take pictures as i go along and post them on a website for those that want to know. maybe even write a little FAQ.

also, i never thought about the inline capacitors...but from my electrical knowledge it would make sense that there is a resistor and capacitor network designed as a high pass filter for the tweets and a bandpass filter with the passband at frequencies above sub and below the tweeter range....hm. wshouldnt be too bad...

now the hard part....parting with all that green. grrr...

VJ