SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Potential Purchase of 5 speed sc

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-16, 04:02 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a deal! these engines are strong but if you lack oil pressure or have no oil any engine is going to spin a bearing no matter how strong, you may consider jst swapping the bottom end of the GE for a well maintained one or lower miles block after eliminating other possible options for what the "knocking" noise is.
Old 01-17-16, 05:34 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

i'm taking it out tomorrow hopefully and I'll know what needs to be done from there. I'll have to take everything apart for school anyways. If i can rebuild it for under 500 that would be the way to go because its almost as good as brand new and better than anything used
Old 01-19-16, 02:03 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,247 Likes on 868 Posts

^^ scsexy, I'm seconding SCFactory's suggestion: It would be easier to just find any 1992-1997 (not 1998+) 2JZ-GE donor engine in good condition with reasonable mileage and just swap over your car's original intake manifold (with all components and injectors), throttle body, and the harness and all top end engine electronics from your old one.

That would still be cheaper and much less work than a full bottom end rebuild. Take care of all the basic maintenance while you've got the engine out and you'd be pretty well set.
Old 01-19-16, 07:56 PM
scsexy
Advanced

I Understand it would be cheaper to get a used engine. I need to do a rebuild for school. The car WIll be turbo'd afterwards to at least 12 pounds of boost. I need to do head gasket and arp studs for the amount of power i want to push. Thus the rebuild.
i'm really not seeing how a rebuild can cost me over 1000 dollars.. a good working engine i can get for 500 maybe? if im lucky and need to drive to find it(denver 5 hours) and drive it back in my trunk?

I have a good motor in my auto sc i could swap over right now. I want matching vins and everything nice on this car. My auto has been crashed a few years back. This is never crashed got the air bags everything is so clean.

Here's where i'm getting my info. The most expensive part is the Crankshaft which i hope is okay or just needs to be machined a little. we get good rates on the machine shop because i'm doing it through school. If it needs a new crank i may get another donor motor or something

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...t-or-something

Last edited by scsexy; 01-19-16 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-20-16, 12:25 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,247 Likes on 868 Posts

Ahh, I gotcha. I didn't understand that this fits into your automotive school plans.

I picked up a good 2JZ rebuild step by step walk through DVD a while back from a website called 2JZSwap. It still required you have the shop manuals for reference but I found it to be a very good visual reference guide for most of the block and head rebuild process. Worth checking out unless you're already set with all you need.

That said, I haven't rebuilt one yet myself.

As for fitting a an entire 2JZ in your SC's trunk... I don't think that will work very well. I've fit an R154 and plenty of other stuff in my SC's trunk but not an engine. I have, however, seen a 2JZ short block fit into the passenger side of an SC with the seat removed and a lot of cushioning and tarp laid down.

For a complete 2JZ-GE engine I'd just strap it to a pallet in the bed of a pickup truck and use a cherry picker to get it in and out. Better yet, a small flat trailer.

Not sure about the rebuild cost even with you doing the work yourself. Always over estimate because things can always crop up when you least expect them to.
Old 01-20-16, 04:47 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Yeah i was being sarcastic about the trunk =P I'm not worried, I was told today by my instructor i could expect as much as 1200 for the complete rebuild if we have to bore and get pistons and everything. No way to know until we start measuring things

I might sell my automatic to another student in the program. took the turbo kit off today put the stock headers back on.

Last edited by scsexy; 01-20-16 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-20-16, 06:25 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats! Another one saved from an untimely death. It should make a great build project. wish I would've had one to build when I went to tech school, but of course Lexus didn't exist back then. LOL.