SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

could the SC be one of the sources of inspiration for the LC500?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 09:00 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tfwnoturbo
Seems like this car will probably end up more of a statement of your wealth, not your driving skill or love for cars, I can predict rappers or kardashian-types will frequent these for a while until the next cheap porsche or lambo shows up.
You know that pretty much sums up the SC from 92-97 right?
Old 01-30-16, 01:27 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Motor Trend did a video article on the LC500. Skip to 2min, 50sec to hear a bit about the shakedown testing of the pre-production prototypes. There were some comments about the transmission tuning "needing work" (ie: shifting better at full throttle rather than part-throttle in one of the prototypes) but it's suggested the engineers revised the programming to better effect, though no specific impression on those changes.

Nonetheless you can see it being flogged on the track a bit.

Apparently Lexus sees the BMW 6 Series and Maserati GranTurismo (coupe) as key competitors.

Also, did anyone else notice that the chief engineer said "Supra" in reference to this car at 5:04?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-30-16 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-30-16, 07:19 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great looking car. I guess Lexus is really trying to become classic status one day with it, but my problem is that future classic cars price tags are out of reach from 99% of the people. This wasn't the case back in the 50s and 60s, 70s, 80,even in the 90s. I see this car depreciating by 50% in the next 10 years.
Old 01-31-16, 05:09 PM
Maximo018
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Most new cars are just high tech appliances these days... difficult to get excited about them.

Tesla is a perfect example. Got a ride in a P85D in insane mode or whatever it is. Is it fast, yes. Is it fun? No. Seriously the weirdest car I've ever been in. Car goes 0-80 in seconds, but you feel so isolated from it all, have to look at speedometer to confirm how fast you're actually going because you don't feel it. There's ZERO character. Feels like those fast elevators inside skyscrapers (with more power) if you want to imagine how Tesla's feel.

On paper they are amazing, and are very refined in almost every single way, but there is something about old-school cars that you do not get with today's technology. Being in full control of everything YOURSELF, and having that raw feel without all the unnecessary gadgets and controls is definitely lost in most of today's cars unfortunately.
THIS /\ ! I couldn't explain it better. I know this is a week old post but it hit me that hard. I'm tired of people asking why I'm not into new cars and keep resuscitating legends. Car could be a 300hp car but if it's fun and I have hands on control it's 1000x better than a 700hp car that technology drives for you. If it breaks you spend $$$$$$ to get it fixed. If mine breaks I know what it is, how much, how long it's going to take and what brand I want to upgrade to.
Old 01-31-16, 05:45 PM
Maximo018
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikef
great looking car. I guess Lexus is really trying to become classic status one day with it, but my problem is that future classic cars price tags are out of reach from 99% of the people. This wasn't the case back in the 50s and 60s, 70s, 80,even in the 90s. I see this car depreciating by 50% in the next 10 years.
I see it depreciating 3/4 in 6 months. I believe it's getting priced out of existence before it gets started. The thing people are going to have a problem coping with is paying over $100k for a Lexus. They were having problems paying what they want for the LFA. Great car but people had a hard time paying Lambo,Ferrari, Aston Martin money for a Toyota.

Oh and they've already coined the LC as the new SC. I read it 2 weeks ago. If youask me it makes the LFA look better. The LFA has smoother round nose like Supra. Best pics of an LFA I've seen posted earlier.
Old 02-01-16, 08:32 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I think it will sell at 100k. Its not going to move a lot of units though, coupes are way out of style right now in terms of people actually buying them. They'll always be in style as in "oh man that's an awesome looking car", but people are practical now days, they'll spend 100k on a new Range Rover or big sedan, but not a coupe.

When they redo the LS and LX SUV, that will be what people actually buy at that 100k price point. Hopefully Toyota can come up with a competitive sedan, the S-class is in just a whole different leauge right now compared to the competition.

As for the LFA price and it not selling, it was never designed to be a volume seller, they did limit production to 500 cars total. BTW a Ferrari 458 Italia was around the same ballpark in price with options.

Last edited by Aron9000; 02-01-16 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-01-16, 08:54 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

looks like a SC got it on with a 350z. Someone should call Lexus and tell them that the front grill looks terrible and to please stop putting it on every lexus like it was a good idea (it isn't).

Nice car, but they lost me at automatic again. Maybe next it can drive itself around the track and I can just sit in the stands and watch it go around, it sounds like so much fun... I can hardly stay awake.
Old 02-01-16, 09:03 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

looks nothing like the SC at all.
Old 02-01-16, 10:19 AM
Maximo018
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
looks like a SC got it on with a 350z. Someone should call Lexus and tell them that the front grill looks terrible and to please stop putting it on every lexus like it was a good idea (it isn't).

Nice car, but they lost me at automatic again. Maybe next it can drive itself around the track and I can just sit in the stands and watch it go around, it sounds like so much fun... I can hardly stay awake.
Don't say that too loud they'll hear you. And the no manual ruined it for me. Same with the R35. Not much love for the Darth Vader grill. Main reason my pops is happy with his 2010 460
The following users liked this post:
MasterVisionary (02-24-24)
Old 02-24-24, 08:58 PM
MasterVisionary
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCFactory
LOL dude I KNOW, SC500 woulda been sweet, I mean Toyota did it with AE86 and FRS!!! After the RC came out I thought that was "NEW SC" but the LC resembles more than the RC...

Sc500 you say? Allow me to introduce myself Master Visionary, and an in progress render for project SC500

The following 2 users liked this post by MasterVisionary:
Bimmerbill (02-25-24), Kira X (02-26-24)
Old 02-26-24, 09:26 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts

I remember this thread. Basically the LC is the SC just newer and with a different name. Both were designed by Calty too!

The LC is awesome because the coupe is a modern SC and the convertible fills the void after the SC430 and IS convertibles were discontinued. Something for both generations of SC owners. It’s likely that I’ll grab a used one since MKIV Supra prices are so high, along with all the other JDM classics like the RX7 and NSX.

KahnBB6 (02-27-24)
Old 02-27-24, 05:48 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I remember this thread. Basically the LC is the SC just newer and with a different name. Both were designed by Calty too!

The LC is awesome because the coupe is a modern SC and the convertible fills the void after the SC430 and IS convertibles were discontinued. Something for both generations of SC owners. It’s likely that I’ll grab a used one since MKIV Supra prices are so high, along with all the other JDM classics like the RX7 and NSX.
The LC500 is definitely the spiritual successor to the SC400 / Soarer V8 in ultimate form. Not so much the SC300 5-speed and Soarer JZZ30 2.5 GT 5-speed. The LC500 has amazing and striking presence on the road or parked... much like the original SC's had when they were brand new. And that interior is above and beyond!

To add, the current LC and RC are both going to be retired and replaced in a couple of years. BestCar is suggesting that a single RWD coupe costing less than the LC but more than the RC will replace both.

I won't hold my breath but that position in the market would be perfect for a spiritual successor to the very driver-oriented and luxury muscle car GT 1st gen SC / Z30 Soarer. Here is hoping it will be something much more in the 1st gen SC's vein as a driver's car that still offers 2+2 seating.

Kira X (03-05-24)
Old 02-27-24, 08:39 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny how in 2016 I talked crap about it and how it was a status car. Now that I'm older I know better, these things are rolling works of art. I'd like to be able to afford one one day but seeing how little of them they've sold it's probably not gonna happen.

As for the future of the Lexus coupe, I am also not holding my breath for various reasons. The powers that be are hell bent on killing the ICE and there's no substitute for a gasoline burning sports car in my opinion. Time will have to tell.
Old 02-27-24, 11:06 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 509 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Motor Trend did a video article on the LC500. Skip to 2min, 50sec to hear a bit about the shakedown testing of the pre-production prototypes. There were some comments about the transmission tuning "needing work" (ie: shifting better at full throttle rather than part-throttle in one of the prototypes) but it's suggested the engineers revised the programming to better effect, though no specific impression on those changes.

Nonetheless you can see it being flogged on the track a bit.

Apparently Lexus sees the BMW 6 Series and Maserati GranTurismo (coupe) as key competitors.

Also, did anyone else notice that the chief engineer said "Supra" in reference to this car at 5:04?

Inside the All-New Lexus LC 500! - Motor Trend Presents - YouTube
Thank you Kahn, excellent video
The comparison of the 2 basically ends for me with both are 2 door front engine, rear wheel drive sports.
To start the 500's grill to me and all the Lexus' is like a hideous sea monster, but hey, it's probably made Lexus billions and billions. So what do I know?

Have always used the car as a GT, gran tourer (long distances at hi speeds). You guys are probably sick of seeing that phrase by now, but I'm not. Thats what I do.🤷‍♂️
Really like my SC's big trunk that I use in my touring, sometimes going out for a week. Don't see that w the LC, with almost no trunk the LC reminds me more of a Supra, and I've had people ride in my backseats. Looks like I'd be pretty tough in the LC.

Back to the cars fronts, the SC has exactly what I'm looking for my touring driving. A real nice smooth aerodynamic low air resistance front. Don't see that w the LC.
All they really had to do is lower and build up the SC's suspension a little. Drop in the new engine and tranny. Wow thats the Super Gran Touring car!
They already had the Supra. I keep hearing even now, from folks how much they like the car. Lexus had a winner and didn't even know it. All they had to do is let some young guys in LA tweek it till they got it right.
The SC even had a longer production run
Old 03-05-24, 11:10 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
The LC500 is definitely the spiritual successor to the SC400 / Soarer V8 in ultimate form. Not so much the SC300 5-speed and Soarer JZZ30 2.5 GT 5-speed. The LC500 has amazing and striking presence on the road or parked... much like the original SC's had when they were brand new. And that interior is above and beyond!

To add, the current LC and RC are both going to be retired and replaced in a couple of years. BestCar is suggesting that a single RWD coupe costing less than the LC but more than the RC will replace both.

I won't hold my breath but that position in the market would be perfect for a spiritual successor to the very driver-oriented and luxury muscle car GT 1st gen SC / Z30 Soarer. Here is hoping it will be something much more in the 1st gen SC's vein as a driver's car that still offers 2+2 seating.
True, it’s definitely more the successor to the V8 Soarer/SC400. It would have been cool to see a version with the LS500’s twin turbo V6 as an alternative option for the V8 and hybrid motor.

That’s very interesting that they’re considering just having one coupe, hopefully it’s closer to the SC/LC. I like that Lexus offers two coupes right now as they hit multiple price points for a variety of customers.

Speaking of the LC, I noticed prices on used ones are higher than they were a few years ago. I was talking to a few of my old coworkers from sales at the Lexus dealership I worked at and they mentioned how the prices dipped pretty low in late 2019 and 2020, only to shoot back up. Same goes for the RC-F too. I almost considered going back to working there if it meant scooping up a cheap LC or RC.

I also sat in a new Ultrasonic Blue LC500 convertible my dealership had out at an auto show and really liked it. It felt small to me but it could be because I had a puffy coat on. The LC basically filled the void of both the original SC and the SC430. Unfortunately the convertible I sat in was $122,000 which is way out of my price range. 😭
Supra Dr (03-08-24)