SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My New 99 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-03, 10:00 PM
lawprof
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New 99 SC400 (with some pics)

Having owned my spruce/spruce '92 SC400 since '96, and running it up to 88K miles, I was figuring I would keep it indefinitely. But the last year the ride has seemed harsh, even with new tires. Then the radio antenna broke, the trunk lid springs needed replacing, and the rear speakers inexplicably blew out. So I went shopping.

I found a Lexus certified black/black '99 SC400 with 26K miles. When my son and I drove it off the lot for our test drive, we both said "Oh ****" simultaneously at the low end pickup. The extra horses were only the first of the unexpected improvements I noticed after I bought it.

The AM radio works at last! What a luxury. The antenna even retracts when you switch from radio to CD (rather than only when you power off). The auto setting on the heater finally turns the fan all the way down when the car is warm. The traction control slows the acceleration after it kicks in. That takes a little getting used to, but I think it is a plus. The Homelink garage door opener is nice to have. And the CD changer is now fast enough to play random play over the 6 CDs--an imposibility before. The leather seats are perforated and better padded. I love the smaller wood trimmed gated shifter and the wood on the console. How about a trunk release on the remote? Or the lights flashing and a nice beeping sound when I lock or unlock the car? (With my '92 I had to pay to have a beeper installed just so I could tell the doors were locked.) How about auto headlamps? All just like a true luxury car.

The only negatives? The LCD clock is harder to read than the old LED in my '92 and the glove box is a little smaller to make room for the passenger side airbag I hope never to use.

Don't get me wrong. I truly loved my '92 or I would not have replaced it with another SC. But those of you who can afford a later model might want to consider the refinements. Now I even like the new hood grill, spoiler, and tail lights. For me, its like I turned in the car I love to Lexus who returned it to me with lots of improvements and even a new color--plus a whole new warranty.

Thanks to this board for all the information and support.

Last edited by lawprof; 04-19-03 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-19-03, 10:41 PM
lawprof
Driver School Candidate

a pic
Attached Thumbnails My New 99 SC400-my-new-car-001-compressed-.jpg  
Old 04-19-03, 10:43 PM
lawprof
Driver School Candidate

more pics
Attached Thumbnails My New 99 SC400-my-new-car-006-resized-.jpg  
Old 04-19-03, 10:44 PM
lawprof
Driver School Candidate

one more
Attached Thumbnails My New 99 SC400-my-new-car-002-resized-.jpg  
Old 04-19-03, 11:03 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! Great buy...Enjoy all of your new refinements Especially your 290hp and 300 Torque..Must be a beast to drive..Very rare indeed...
Old 04-19-03, 11:09 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

beautiful. i would trade my car in for a 99, anyday.
Old 04-20-03, 12:15 AM
Poelee
Driver School Candidate

nice car dude, i got myself a 91 SC300 only 3 weeks ago, i'm a student atm but one day, and i say one day, i will own myself a 99 or later
Old 04-20-03, 09:37 AM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

It truly is a beautiful car, congratulations. It is funny to note, however, what will push people over the edge to go looking for a new car. The broken parts you mentioned could have been fixed yourself on a Saturday for under $150. Every time I buy a used car, I find stupid little pesky things that went wrong on it with the previous owner, and wonder if that's what pushed them over the edge to trade it in. I fix them inexpensively and quickly, and then I have a basically new car.

Last edited by blacksc4; 04-20-03 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-20-03, 10:02 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Wow beautiful car indeed. 99 Black on black 400 with all options cant really beat that. Not only is it rare but its a 99 in great condition and it hasnt even been broken in yet. Oh and you forgot to mention day time running lights which is a great safety feature all car should have came with a long time ago. Congrats tho keep it clean,
Old 04-20-03, 10:32 AM
lawprof
Driver School Candidate

Yes, daytime running lights are another bonus. I had not realized this model was so rare. May I ask how rare?

As for what it takes to sell. The hard ride was bothering me more than the other broken items that could be fixed. It just didn't feel like the car I fell in love with upon first drive anymore. Lexus insisted my shocks were still OK, but changing them would have been costly. In the end, I took these small failures as a sign of worse to come, so I traded while I still had under 100K miles. I think I received $8500 in trade which is not bad for an 11 year old car in trade for another used car. I am sure that someone else is now enjoying my old spruce/spruce SC400. I hope he or she finds her way to this board.
Attached Thumbnails My New 99 SC400-my-new-car-005-resized-.jpg  

Last edited by lawprof; 04-20-03 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-20-03, 05:29 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Default Very nice

Looks gorgeous my freind... Im sure it s blast to drive. I think replacing your struts may have helped out, and maybe even dynomatting the cars cabin (about $500?) might have restored the original smoothness. How much did lexus want to replace your struts? The prices ive seen are around 1,000 for everything including labor.... The whole idea of my smooth ride being compromised scares me kinda... I have heard of SCs with over 180K miles that still run smooth almost like new, so it gives me hope.
Old 04-20-03, 05:54 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on your new SC400. My first Lexus was a 93 LS400. I purchased a 99 GS400 recently and love all the improvements like the 300HP V8, DRL, Navigation, HID, VSC.....
There are a lot of snow in your pictures, hope they all melted by now
Old 04-20-03, 06:19 PM
lawprof
Driver School Candidate

Lexus wanted about 1200 for new struts. I bought the car in January when the pics were taken. Took me this long to get around to posting them here.

Anyone have info on the rarity of this model? I'm intrigued.
Old 04-21-03, 07:15 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lawprof
Lexus wanted about 1200 for new struts. I bought the car in January when the pics were taken. Took me this long to get around to posting them here.

Anyone have info on the rarity of this model? I'm intrigued.
I cant give you any production figures or anything but what I can tell you is...

Finding a black SC (any years) is hard enough.
Finding a black SC with black leather is even harder.
Finding a black SC with black leather with the miles you have is getting near impossible.
On top of that finding all that on a '99 seriously is impossible. Not many people can find '99's as it is but you got a black on black with only 26K miles. Great find. Even better find if you got it for less than an arm and a leg.

I found a black on black '95 300 MT will about 55K miles with all records for about 15K but had no money to buy it. Of course its gone now but I'm not surprised and I wouldnt be if it went for more than 15K.

Keep it clean and in perfect shape I'm sure these cars will be collectors, especially the rare ones.
Old 04-21-03, 01:26 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice! looks souped up in stock form....

Quick Reply: My New 99 SC400