SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cell Phone Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 08:11 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Cell Phone Mounts

Couldn't find a thread on SC friendly cell phone mounts, so decided to make one!

Show us your interior with a cell phone mount or suggest any mounts that work with the SC (and look cool too )
Old 02-10-16, 08:29 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,247 Likes on 868 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...300-400-a.html

The mounts listed in this thread are your best bet. I used to have the Pro-Fit "VSM" mount in my car in the fold-out cupholder location but I grew tired of its tendency to rattle since I do not have a completely soft suspension. Now I've just replaced it with the factory folding cupholder.

Additional attention to vibration dampening in the form of rubber washers would be my recommendation if you go with one of these, DrAtomica.

Also, I do not recommend the Pavavise VSM style mount which goes onto the lower console for two reasons:

1) It doesn't entirely allow the shifter bezel to sit flush

2) It was clearly designed with only A/T cars in mind. If you have a manual transmission SC-- forget it. The proximity between your hand on the shifter and the VSM mounted phone (or whatever device is mounted there) will make you bump into it while shifting.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-10-16, 08:38 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...300-400-a.html

The mounts listed in this thread are your best bet. I used to have the Pro-Fit "VSM" mount in my car in the fold-out cupholder location but I grew tired of its tendency to rattle since I do not have a completely soft suspension. Now I've just replaced it with the factory folding cupholder.

Additional attention to vibration dampening in the form of rubber washers would be my recommendation if you go with one of these, DrAtomica.

Also, I do not recommend the Pavavise VSM style mount which goes onto the lower console for two reasons:

1) It doesn't entirely allow the shifter bezel to sit flush

2) It was clearly designed with only A/T cars in mind. If you have a manual transmission SC-- forget it. The proximity between your hand on the shifter and the VSM mounted phone (or whatever device is mounted there) will make you bump into it while shifting.

Hope this helps!
You have a thread for everything don't you! hahaha, brilliant.

I was actually hoping to find a mount that wouldn't sacrifice my precious 90s cup holder
Old 02-10-16, 10:25 PM
KahnBB6

Ha! Just luck I guess

The only two decent options are the upper cupholder/blank area Pro-Fit mount or the Panavise center console area mount. With your SC400 being automatic I don't think you'd have much, if any, complication with the Panavise. That would allow you to keep the cupholder. It just wasn't designed with manual transmission SC's in mind due to the location.

There should be a thread here somewhere with at least one picture of the Panavise mount in an SC.
Old 02-11-16, 03:34 AM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Ha! Just luck I guess

The only two decent options are the upper cupholder/blank area Pro-Fit mount or the Panavise center console area mount. With your SC400 being automatic I don't think you'd have much, if any, complication with the Panavise. That would allow you to keep the cupholder. It just wasn't designed with manual transmission SC's in mind due to the location.

There should be a thread here somewhere with at least one picture of the Panavise mount in an SC.
Won't the Panavise mount be a bit far reach, as in you have to extend your hand to reach the phone?
It certainly does look like it's SC friendly but I want it to be that I can keep my phone close, check and change settings on google maps frequently. Also, how does this mount work exactly, I see holes in it, is something else supposed to fit it?
Old 02-11-16, 04:51 AM
KahnBB6

Not as I recall. On a 92-97 A/T car it's between park and reverse. You reach slightly forward but it's not much different than reaching for your gear lever.

It's listed on their site as:

75136-495 "In Dash Mount for 93-99 Lexus SC400"

There is one on ebay right now if you copy and paste the above line. It should fit 98-00's too since they list it as such.
Old 02-11-16, 06:15 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Ah, I have tried so many kinds and have settled on this "As Seen on TV" version called GripGo. It has this green sticky pad you set your phone on and its BEAST strong. It has never once dropped my phone even with the charger or aux cable hanging on it. I'll take a picture of it later when I get out of work. It's suction cupped to the windshield.
Old 02-11-16, 08:48 AM
MaxFlii
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a magnetic phone mount from amazon that you stick onto your dash with double sided 3m tape.

the surface that sticks to the car is a small circle roughly about an inch and a half in diameter.
this fit perfectly in the groove over the fold out cup holder.
between that surface and the flat surface that holds to your phone there is a metal ball to allow for adjustments.

to get your phone to stick you have to either put a thin coin size metal plate either inside your case, inside the phone where your battery is or stick it onto the phone.

the magnet is strong enough to keep your phone in place, but you could still easily adjust the angle of the phone.

this mount is super tiny, you cant even see what the phones mounted on when its mounted.
only downside is the 3m tape that was sold with it doesn't hold for more than a month or so. With some better adhesive this would be my ideal mount.

Last edited by MaxFlii; 02-11-16 at 10:11 AM. Reason: add info
Old 02-11-16, 10:43 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the Pro-Fit in mine and have zero issues. I did put some super glue on the inside of the mount where it touches the plastic. Mine has zero movement. Only problem is good luck in finding one. I called multiple places before I found one and the guy only had one.

Name:  Int5_zpsfl9ibfpw.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  109.8 KB

Shane
Old 02-12-16, 01:25 AM
KahnBB6

Google Pro-Fit International's website.

They still sell them directly. You are looking for part number #LX53-92 "Lexus SC 300 SC 400 1992-94".
Old 02-14-16, 11:52 PM
Mansalad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have this on my car and i love it. just put the magnets underneath your phone case and it's good to go! The magnet mount is really tight on the vent. Stays in place on hard turns too so I'm happy

"Car Mount, WizGear™ Universal Air Vent Magnetic Car Mount Holder, for Cell Phones and Mini Tablets with Fast Swift-SnapTM Technology, Magnetic Cell Phone Mount"

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-15-16 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Cannot post outside links. The product name, part number, etc are ok.
Old 02-15-16, 12:47 AM
KahnBB6

Sorry Mansalad, had to remove your link but I left the product name. Interesting mount.
Old 02-15-16, 12:41 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Scosche magnetic mounts. They're a black rubber pad with a magnet hidden inside. I have a metal plate under the case of the Note. Works perfectly.
Old 02-16-16, 09:26 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think someone from the LS forums on CL created a custom phone bracket that connects to the stock Lexus Tape Players. This would be a great option for people that did the Aux mod with the factory HU's. I'll see if I can dig up that link.

-Tabaka
Old 02-16-16, 09:56 AM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

I was thinking to use this and modify it a bit, but not sure if it will look that good.

Amazon.com: UNIVERSAL "The Insertable GPS Mounting Pad", (choice of CD player version OR cassette player version). Suction cup is mounted on the pad allows GPS and other portable devices to be mounted below DASH LEVEL.: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: UNIVERSAL "The Insertable GPS Mounting Pad", (choice of CD player version OR cassette player version). Suction cup is mounted on the pad allows GPS and other portable devices to be mounted below DASH LEVEL.: GPS & Navigation

It's only Cassette mounting I could find.. at least on amazon

Quick Reply: Cell Phone Mounts