SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Any silent exhaust for the sc300??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 02:11 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any silent exhaust for the sc300??

I currently have a stock exhaust, I plan on turboing the car by summer. My whole car is stock engine wise. Is there any silent exhaust for the sc300? I can't seem to find a thread on this topic. I don't want a loud car because after all this is still a lexus. Lexus are suppose to be classy and quiet if you ask me. Any suggestions guys? I want all the preformance without the noise. Is there any exhaust that does this or comes close? Thanks for the help
Old 04-21-03, 02:53 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been wondering about that as well. I want something really quiet if I am going to dump the stock system.
Old 04-21-03, 03:21 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leave your stock pipings and just get two mufflers. Leave all your resonators on and it will be very quiet.
Old 04-21-03, 07:21 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

if you plan on turbo'ing your car and having a quiet exhaust, its not going to happen. If you want that turbo to spool faster and reduce lag, you're going to have to increase the diameter of the piping straight from the downpipe on.

if you are doing it just for looks and want a quiet car, then do what SC4oo said. Other than that, you are not going to get a quiet car with turbo. Its a trade off.
Old 04-21-03, 07:41 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

if i need more flow can't i just increase the diameter like you said and keep the resonators on?
Old 04-21-03, 07:47 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mrshabo
if i need more flow can't i just increase the diameter like you said and keep the resonators on?
still going to be loud my friend. My other car is a turbo and i tried to keep it silent. Almost impossible. My good friends supra TT impossible to keep quiet even with a resonator. Anyone with a turbo car will tell you the same. The problem is when you increase the diameter of the piping system, its going to increase noise levels. Its either sacrifice power for less noise or sacrifice silence for power. Up to you.

Last edited by kaotiq; 04-21-03 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-21-03, 04:59 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally posted by kaotiq
still going to be loud my friend. My other car is a turbo and i tried to keep it silent. Almost impossible. My good friends supra TT impossible to keep quiet even with a resonator. Anyone with a turbo car will tell you the same. The problem is when you increase the diameter of the piping system, its going to increase noise levels. Its either sacrifice power for less noise or sacrifice silence for power. Up to you.
Almost impossible.

No, I don't sell this setup.
Old 04-21-03, 08:41 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

sc300 you said "ALMOST impossible" so you telling me it's possible? =).
Old 04-21-03, 09:27 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Clint has complained before about almost being *too* quiet in the past. The system on his car is custom, but should be fairly easy to duplicate except for the tips. The key is to use a 4 muffler setup. the first two under the car are in place of the stock resonators, the second pair is out back in the normal location. Parts for a setup like this shouldn't total more than around $400 for the mufflers plus mandrel bent 3" pipe and the "Y" split. The custom tips are another issue, but I think stock tips could be modified to fit the back end of that 3" offset-offset stainless muffler.

A more modest system would be to use a single 3" resonator before the "Y" split, then use a pair of the mufflers. (not sure if the placement of that single resonator would be in a good place for good use).

If you want really quiet:
I made 423rwhp on pump gas using almost stock system using just a Toyomoto 3" downpipe, Toyomoto 3" catless midpipe hooked to the stock system from the stock split to the tail pipes. You could put an exhaust cut out aft of the mid pipe for drag strip use for around $50 in parts. It would be loud in this configuration, but the flow would be exceptional. Three wing nuts hold on the cap for normal around town driving.

Last edited by SC300T; 04-21-03 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-21-03, 11:10 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

thanks a lot for the help man. i didn't know mufflers were that cheap.. 4 mufflers?? how is the airflow on that setup?
Old 04-21-03, 11:54 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Dunno... You'll have to ask Clint. With the $$ he spent on the performance goodies and his previous 765rwhp dyno on the old car, you bet it flows.

His exhaust setup will be the framework for what I eventually do. My only change may be to do an exhaust cutout after the midpipe for racing, or perhaps two cutouts after the first set of mufflers. Then you could have quiet or loud.
Old 04-22-03, 08:38 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

thats a badass setup! but my question is if you use a 4 muffler system, wouldnt that reduce exhuast flow? Are the ports thru the exhausts the same diameters as the piping?
Old 04-22-03, 09:59 AM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

some (all?) of the jdm soarers actually have 4 mufflers stock from the factory (one directly behind the other on each pipe after the center res/cat). two of these were removed to give the car a more muscular sound for the american market.
Old 04-22-03, 10:18 AM
Lvangundy

If you hear David's TT LS400 you'll see it's very loud - even after 2 resonators and 2 mufflers!

Get a decent exhaust system that has silencers, I'm not sure how those hurt flow but it could possibly be an issue (?). Add some resonators in front of the mufflers. That should help..

I'm thinking N/A mindedly..I'd guess these basic ideas could apply to turbo.

Mr. shabo it IS posible - look at factory turbo cars..

Last edited by Lvangundy; 04-22-03 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-27-03, 01:04 AM
philauldridge
Driver

Default quiet mufflers

Okay, I guess my opinion goes against that of other postings on this subject, but I find that the turbo(s) themselves provide a good bit of additional sound muffling as opposed to an N/A setup. My own GTE conversion is mated to a Greddy dual cat-back system (with straight pipe replacing the cat... off road only, naturally), and the exhaust sound is very muted. Not as quiet as stock, but just a barely perceptible low-end rumble to let you know there's something different under the hood!