Steer me straight

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-03, 08:43 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steer me straight

Whats up everyone?

I'm in the process of selling my '92 Acccord and '99 Camaro convertible in favor of getting a Lexus SC300/5spd. I've been looking around and they are very hard to find with the right mileage and condition. Anyway, recently I've also been looking at the 1994 and up 3000GT SL as an alternative to the Lexus. I know they're heavy and underpowered but the performance nearly matches the Lexus and they depreciate moderately so I can get one for rather cheap. Any thoughts? Also how feasible is it to purchase an SC300 with mileage lets say in the 120k's?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-03, 09:58 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Steer me straight

Originally posted by technics
Whats up everyone?

I'm in the process of selling my '92 Acccord and '99 Camaro convertible in favor of getting a Lexus SC300/5spd. I've been looking around and they are very hard to find with the right mileage and condition. Anyway, recently I've also been looking at the 1994 and up 3000GT SL as an alternative to the Lexus. I know they're heavy and underpowered but the performance nearly matches the Lexus and they depreciate moderately so I can get one for rather cheap. Any thoughts? Also how feasible is it to purchase an SC300 with mileage lets say in the 120k's?

Thanks in advance.
The reliability factor is just not there if you were to purchase the mitsu.
Also, you know you see way more 3000gt's on the street than sc300's..wouldn't you want to be original?
Sc's will last forever. Many people here have 200k+ miles on there original engine with no problems.

Any more questions

Tim
Old 04-23-03, 01:54 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Wow, 200k? I was looking at an SC300 with 101k on it for about $9000. Is it feasible to turbo a high milege engine? Does anyone have any turbo'd high mileage engines here?
Old 04-23-03, 02:51 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by technics
Wow, 200k? I was looking at an SC300 with 101k on it for about $9000. Is it feasible to turbo a high milege engine? Does anyone have any turbo'd high mileage engines here?
There are a couple who have done it with no problems that I've heard of. I think one guy did it around 120k and I think someone is doing it right now actually, but can't remember who.
What year sc are you looking to get?
Old 04-23-03, 04:35 PM
5speed300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check autotrader, ebay, and the marketplace forum on this site. I found a couple on here with low miles and plenty on ebay. We just bought a 96 with no sunroof, 70k miles and a 5speed. If you look, you will find them.
Old 04-23-03, 06:31 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by tggoodrich
There are a couple who have done it with no problems that I've heard of. I think one guy did it around 120k and I think someone is doing it right now actually, but can't remember who.
What year sc are you looking to get?
I'm looking for anything '92 and up depending on condition, etc.

Autotrader and Ebay are part of my daily regimen.
Old 04-23-03, 09:54 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Ebay has a rare 95 black/black combo sc 5 speed right now.
95's are good years b/c you get the side impact door beams, can upgrade to a 6 speed easier, and they still don't have obd2 to bother with
Old 04-23-03, 10:29 PM
SCerious
Driver School Candidate

This is a no-contest situation. The 1992 Lexus SC was Motor Trend's Import Car Of The Year. At the time the Lexus was in a league of its own from a fit-and-finish and materials standpoint. When it comes to issues such as build quality or tolerances be it for engines, transmissions, or electronics Toyota has always been ahead of the pack. In the SC you'll get more Luxury in a package that will inherently age better. The 3000GT is a performance dud even in twin-turbo form so an all natural version must be a snail of epic proportions.
I recently bought a '92 5-speed for $4000. It has a crinkle dent and heavily keyed body, it was one of the dirtiest cars I have ever seen but even with such a lack of care it runs strong and passed smog with no problems; all this 127k on the clock. I am keeping Simple Green in business but the dash and door panels now look quite respectable and I have installed a Katzkin interior. It's all good on the inside.
I endured the same ritual as you...eBay, autotrader.com, autosrecycler.com...3,4,5, times a day each. Just keep the faith and you'll find the right SC.
Old 04-23-03, 10:47 PM
SCerious
Driver School Candidate

This is a no-contest situation. The 1992 Lexus SC was Motor Trend's Import Car Of The Year. At the time the Lexus was in a league of its own from a fit-and-finish and materials standpoint. When it comes to issues such as build quality or tolerances be it for engines, transmissions, or electronics Toyota has always been ahead of the pack. In the SC you'll get more Luxury in a package that will inherently age better. The 3000GT is a performance dud even in twin-turbo form so an all natural version must be a snail of epic proportions.
I recently bought a '92 5-speed for $4000. It has a crinkle dent and heavily keyed body, it was one of the dirtiest cars I have ever seen but even with such a lack of care it runs strong and passed smog with no problems; all this 127k on the clock. I am keeping Simple Green in business but the dash and door panels now look quite respectable and I have installed a Katzkin interior. It's all good on the inside.
I endured the same ritual as you...eBay, autotrader.com, autosrecycler.com...3,4,5, times a day each. Just keep the faith and you'll find the right SC.
Old 04-24-03, 01:25 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just take your time looking...it took me over 3 months to find one I was happy with....the others were all beaten and tore up from the floor up...some people have no respect for their cars!

And a fullbore turbo setup is going to cost you in the $5000+ range so keep that in mind. Keep your goals realistic...if I was going to turbo, I'd get a '95 SC300 with low miles (for the reasons that tggoodrich brought up). It's better to spend the money on a better car then trying to get one that's tore up for nothing and then trying to slap a turbo on it....

I ended up with a '92 SC400 and I'm quite happy with it. It has enough power for me (and I track race the car...autocross, not quarter mile)...even today, I smoked some fool in a Z28 who thought he was fast...It must have been a 6 cylinder cuz I just walked him silly from a roll starting at 30mph or so...(I hope it was 6, if it was a 8, that would be very embarrassing!)

Definitely stay away from the 3000GT unless you like fixing it...and the 3000GT SL is a horrible pig of a vehicle...my buddy owes one and I've driven it many times...what a piece...everything was falling apart too...my other friend owes a 3000GT VR4 which isn't bad but it too isn't built too well...Something Mitsu is known for...bad build quality (which is why they were hiding all the customer complaints in Japan from their government!)
Old 04-24-03, 09:56 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by tggoodrich
Ebay has a rare 95 black/black combo sc 5 speed right now.
95's are good years b/c you get the side impact door beams, can upgrade to a 6 speed easier, and they still don't have obd2 to bother with
I've seen that one on Ebay! The funny thing is the car is about 15mins away from my house in Queens. Isn't it a little overpriced though at $14,500 first bid? I might check it out but I know how the majority of cars are driven in the five boroughs and neighboring areas so I'm wary about it, especially at that price.

The 1994 3000gt VR-4 hit 0-60 in about 5.4 ticks, so I wouldn't consider it a slouch! The SL is a different matter though.

I know it will take me a while to find the right SC, thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep on looking. I have a question about turbos though. Will the stock turbos from the Supra bolt right on? I assume they would. I wouldn't mind going stock. If they do will this be below the price of $5k for the aftermarket turbo? F-Max/Toyo?