SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I'm headed to Florida to pick up the SC4...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-03, 10:06 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I'm headed to Florida to pick up the SC4...

Here goes... time to pull the trigger!

I'm flying out of San Diego Friday morning to retreive the 'new' '99 SC400. Millenium Silver on Black.
Hope it's as nice as the photos- wish me luck!

I'll give you all an update when I get back to California-
Springs/shocks/StopTechs/Yokohamas/HRE 845Rs are waiting!!

Regards,

Bob
Old 04-25-03, 09:59 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Bob!!!!
Can't wait for the pics of that car finished.
Old 04-26-03, 01:37 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Maybe I'm just the suspicious type but do people really shell out many thousands of dollars for cars they've never even seen except in photos. Wow, love that faith-based commerce!
Old 04-26-03, 05:23 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad picked up a 1993 LS 400 from Florida and never saw it. Was in beautiful condition and much undersold for the price he paid. He was more then pleased.

-Anthony
Old 04-26-03, 05:31 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

if i had a car shipped and never left the house i could get over the imperfections that may not be described through the photo's. however, if i fly across the country and it isnt as described, i couldnt honestly tell you what i'd do ..........after i called my lawyer in an attempt to get my airline fee's back.

Best wishes for a safe trip and a prosperous journey.
Old 04-26-03, 06:43 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

i purchased my sc4 out of lexus of sarasota and i never saw it until it was delivered to my driveway. i hope you're as pleased as i was
Old 04-26-03, 07:26 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

FLA the sc capitol of the us :
Old 04-27-03, 03:42 PM
octane300
Lead Lap

FLA the sc capitol of the us
Seriously. Many SC's that are for sale on Ebay and Autotrader are in Florida. I see them around town occaisionally, but almost all are pre-97 sc400s. I always thought the SC capitol was CA!
Old 04-27-03, 04:41 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: I'm headed to Florida to pick up the SC4...

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
Springs/shocks/StopTechs/Yokohamas/HRE 845Rs are waiting!!
Jeez Bob, you don't fool around!! Send some pics this way when you get those shoes on!
Old 04-28-03, 10:25 AM
extremecc
Driver School Candidate

Cool extremecc

I just bought a 1999 SC400 in Florida and had it shipped to me in Las Vegas. I found it on Auto Trader, had a friend go over the car from tip to tail and I purchased it without seeing it myself. I had a 96 stolen from me in good old Newark, NJ. I moved out west and couldn't find a 98 or newer SC400 for less then $29K. I love the 99; it's one smooth rocket.
Old 04-28-03, 11:52 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Default The FL Trip

My brother (SoCalSc4) hasn't had time to update you guys on the results of the FL trip because he's undoubtedly catching up on stuff at work since he was out on Friday. The SC400 in FL did not meet his expectations, so he ended up not buying it. He is disapointed, but that is better han being stuck with a car that you aren't happy with. He had agreed in principle on that car, but the deal was contingent upon the car meeting his expectations, which it did not. He is back in CA now and the search for the right car continues.
Old 04-28-03, 12:22 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: The FL Trip

Originally posted by link13
My brother (SoCalSc4) hasn't had time to update you guys on the results of the FL trip because he's undoubtedly catching up on stuff at work since he was out on Friday. The SC400 in FL did not meet his expectations, so he ended up not buying it. He is disapointed, but that is better han being stuck with a car that you aren't happy with. He had agreed in principle on that car, but the deal was contingent upon the car meeting his expectations, which it did not. He is back in CA now and the search for the right car continues.
Sorry to hear that.
Good luck Bob!!!!!
Old 04-28-03, 01:15 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, that was a quick trip... I flew home Sunday.

So, I finally arrive in Florida... my sales guy picks me up... we get back to the dealership, and the car has a friggin' dent in the right quarter panel (complete with scratches in the paint) and two small 'kinks' on the fender arch. The guys play dumb: "Sorry, Mr. Hale, one of the porters must have backed it into something."

The dent was only the diameter of a fist and about 1/16" deep, not the end of the world, really- but the scratches drew your eyes directly to it. The small kinks on either side of the fender arch were a bit more... distinctive.

This would have been nice to know BEFORE I flew 2800 miles to see the car.

They were apologetic enough, even offered to cut me a check for $500 so I could get it fixed in California. Unfortunately, I was not confident this was a $500 job- my guess is closer to $1500.

The countered with "we will fix it, come back next weekend and pick it up." Uhhh.... I live in CALIFORNIA!

The sales manager responded with "okay, take the car today, take it to Longo Lexus when you get home, we will pay for the repair." Great- another two weeks with no car. Or, they would do the repairs at their dealership, and ship the car to me at their expense. Again, two weeks before I would see the car.

All of this was proposed BEFORE I had even driven the car. Aside from the warped front rotors, it drove well. I like these cars.

The guys were reasonable enough, but I was pretty heartbroken. The thought of spending this much money on a car and having part of it repainted right away didn't sit well with me. Who is to say if the repair is satisfactory? If Longo Fixes it, I can supervise the work- but htey are slow. If JM Lexus (my dealer in Florida) fixes it, I will not have seen the work before taking delivery of the car. In the end, I walked.

The story gets worse (if you can believe it), but it was travel and family-related, not really too intersting, I am sure. The bottom-line: After spending 18 moths looking for the "right" SC400, I have given up. I am now looking at GS400s, which are much more plentiful- plus, I can get a 2000 in Spectra Blue! The aftermarket supports the GS better, anyway (coilovers, brakes, body kits, etc.)- and I can still put 20s on a GS.

Anybody want to buy a new set of SC400 Eibachs, Tokicos, and used Supra calipers?

Regards,
Bob
Old 04-28-03, 01:41 PM
zekeangel
Driver School Candidate

there is a mint condition sc400 93 with the gold kit in my town for sale. Bakersfield, California

Check it out, the guy said he has had no offers on it yet. PM me or something if you want me to go grab the guys number for you.
Peace
Old 04-28-03, 03:17 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Bob, sorry to hear of all your misfortune. I had a similar experience not too long ago (even though I didn't travel 2800 miles, that would put me on the other side of Europe).
I think you did the right thing and I hope you will have a lot of luck with the GS.

Quick Reply: I'm headed to Florida to pick up the SC4...