SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Closing deal on a 98 MK4 TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 08:03 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by FSUsucks1
There are many other cars that are way less expensive in Europe but that is a different market. But the same can be said here. There are some cars that are worthless here in the states and cost so much more in other countries.
Most of the examples are purely a matter of which one is the domestic market. US cars cost more in Europe and European cars cost more in the US. I can't think of any counter-examples offhand. The MKIV Supra demand appears to be purely a US phenomenon, with even Canadian prices much lower.

My concern would be what FunCarGo said, that the European prices are low because of the flood of Japanese imports. What happens when those start showing up here in higher numbers? Maybe RHD will keep that from having too much impact, but it just seems to me like a rather artificially high value placed on them due to the staying power of the first F&F.
Old 03-30-16, 08:55 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

The Supra MKIV at the first F&F is a damn NA (naturally aspirated)...lol. No different from our SC 300 except the body . I keep on wondering why people say the supra is so much in demand because of the F&F. I really doubt people got in love with a 160rwhp NA supra.

The movie have helped the car be known , no doubt . But there are so many other cars in those films whose popularity were not boosted by the film... why ?

The real reason why it is so much in demand ... is not because of the F&F . It is because they are RARE (only over 12k (NA/TT included) for the US market) and people / tuners came to know what the MKIV TT can do. You don't have to spend over $100k to get 1000rwhp from its engine.

Regardless of what car ... a car will continue to go high in price as long as there are people willing to pay for them at the price they are being sold... and the MKIV is one of them. How long... who knows .

OP - go for it , you won't regret . They may go up or down in price. Who cares... what is important is it makes you happy. That's how one should buy a car ... making you happy for all the hard work you do.
Old 03-30-16, 09:04 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
The Supra MKIV at the first F&F is a damn NA (naturally aspirated)...lol. I keep on wondering why people say the supra is so much in demand because of the F&F. I really doubt people got in love with a 160rwhp NA supra.

The movie have helped the car be known , no doubt . But there are so many other cars in those films whose popularity were not boosted by the film... why ?

The real reason why it is so much in demand ... is not because of the F&F . It is because people and tuners came to know what the MKIV TT can do. You don't have to spend over $100k to get 1000rwhp from its engine.

Regardless of what car ... a car will continue to go high in price as long as there are people willing to pay for them at the price they are being sold... and the MKIV is one of them. How long... who knows .

OP - go for it , you won't regret . They may go up or down in price. Who cares... what is important is it makes you happy. That's how one should buy a car ... making you happy for all the hard work you do.
Agreed I laugh when I hear people say they are overrated because of movie. I was always a fan of the Supra even before the movie came out. Combine relatively low production numbers compared to other sports cars of the time with a solid drivetrain and ease of tuning and you get the Supra. Supply and Demand in full effect. I have a 95 Hardtop NA I'm doing a 6spd VVTI GTE swap on I miss my SC sometimes because of the sleeper status it had but there's no comparison in my opinion.

OP congrats on the purchase, you have a clean setup it looks like.
Old 03-30-16, 09:22 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I know... that supra had been for sale for a very long time and nobody wants to buy it.....lol. IT IS A SUPRA MKIV .

dang .....Plex .... surely one day that MKIV will be lethal just like your previously built SC. Did you sell that gorgeous 300zx ? ....sell it to me for a good price (remember am not a baller like you ) and I will put in a 2jzgte ... lmaol.

OP - sorry , thread jacking ... hahaha. Can't wait to see new pictures of your new toy once you get it .

Last edited by gerrb; 03-30-16 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 09:35 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Overpriced, not overrated. Big difference. Hardly anyone knew or cared at the time what version it was, but that didn't keep prices from skyrocketing.
Old 03-30-16, 09:42 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by t2d2
Overpriced, not overrated. Big difference. Hardly anyone knew or cared at the time what version it was, but that didn't keep prices from skyrocketing.
Define overpriced in this scenario, we live in a consumer based economy. Supply and Demand determine the price. What is it you want in a product? People pay for what they want and Supras and any other product is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. A Camry is overpriced with your logic then since I can buy (insert cheaper car) and it does the same thing.
Old 03-30-16, 09:44 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by plex
Define overpriced in this scenario
Relative to the rest of the world, as explained previously.
Old 03-30-16, 09:48 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by t2d2
Relative to the rest of the world, as explained previously.
Rest of what world in relation to the MKIV Supra?
Old 03-30-16, 10:07 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StoneBeige
I'm in for more MK IV pics also. Your SC is one of the best on the forum, the mods are perfect. This Supra also appears to be perfect. Do you plan to keep it stock? How do light tasteful mods affect MK IV Supra values? Although it is a toy like you said, you now have an appreciating investment that just so happens to be one heck of a toy too, CONGRATS! 2J > 1UZ ..., haha, jk, i know, it's too early for all that. With all the hard work put in to your SC, maybe try to find a way to keep it or keep it in your fam so you can continue to enjoy/share in the future. I believe you will miss it if you let it go, and it is truly one of a kind (maybe store and show it a few times a year)? Either way, VERY glad you did not get an ASSton Martin (, the Supra will be worth more than that in a few years anyways.
Thank you!. I actually have a buyer for my SC already and he is a super close friend so he knows the quality of the build on the SC.

As far as the Supra, I am going to mod it tastefully just like I did with my SC. Keep it simple and clean with quality parts and no fake replica parts.

I will also try to keep my SSR's off the SC and put them on the Supra but have to see if they fit properly first. If they don't fit properly then I'll buy some new wheels.
Old 03-30-16, 10:52 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Congratulations, too bad you can't keep both.

Glad your SC is going to a good home though.
Old 03-30-16, 11:01 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

A piece of history so people would stop associating the demand on the Supra MKIVs because of the first Fast and Furious which for me is born out of IGNORANCE or HEARSAY ...

First F&F came out sometime in 2001 or 2002 .... if it was because of that movie then these cars would have skyrocketed in price right away in 2001 or 2002 ..... in fact in 2008 / 2009 I still bought a MKIV TT Auto for $8k and a MKIV TT 6 speed for $14k . At least double in price now to get one . No doubt in a way the F&F had helped the MKIV known but in no way it was the reason why the demand now is so high that their prices are ridiculously high for a 20 year old car. IF that is the case, then you should see Mitsubishis and others so much in demand too right now just like the MKIV.. they were in that movie , weren't they ?

In the early 2000s people like SAAD , Ryan Woon , Tommy Bahn and others ... companies like WOTM , Titan MotorSports , BoostLogic , Sound Performance and others have started pushing the limits of the engine of the Supra MKIV and gained notoriety in the mile long and drag strips....like running +240 mph in the mile long and 7s / 8s in the quarter mile. More and more people began to acknowledge what even the stock 2jzgte engine can withstand power wise and abuse wise. They termed it the god of all engines because of what a built 2jzgte can do using technology of the 90s.

That continued ...... till the demand on these 2jzgte engines soar like you see them today. It so happened that it is on a Supra MKIV body.... and you started seeing the prices of MKIV slowly climbing up by around 2005 . But as a proof , that people are after the drive train , the damn 2jzgte is now installed in all cars you can think of ... Nissan , Honda , Lexus , Mercedes Benz , other Toyota cars like AE86 , different trucks and what not . Five years ago a 2jzgte 6speed engine swap was $5000 shipped . I know cause I bought two then when I was about to start my Red Mamba One project . Now they want over $9000 , an auto aristo TT non vvti was $1600 and now they want $3500. So truly the Supra MKIV Body was a coincidence.

But don't get me wrong. That doesn't mean the Supra MKIV body is not nice. Well , you only appreciate the beauty of a MKIV when you get to own one. Spending time repeatedly looking at its body lines for long periods of time while it is parked in your garage. As I have said, never appreciated one till I owned one. Till then one will not like it and will be a nay sayer. As I have said, only people who never owned one are usually the ones who are the nay sayers about the car. I maybe wrong but show me a person who have owned both MKIV & SC and tell me that he preferred the SC... lol.

If you can pay for one , get one . Right now , it is not going anywhere in price but higher. Buy it because you want to reward yourself for the hard work you do and nothing else so you get to enjoy it. Don't try to buy or build a performance car hoping to make money . That is a wrong motive. You more likely will loose. Buy one to reward yourself and enjoy it.

SUPPLY became scarce & DEMAND skyrocketed because of people getting to know what the drive train can do (aside from the car being nice and rare of course) is the very reason why we see the Supra MKIV prices are the way they are now and not damn stupid first Fast and the Furious. If it was ... then that MKIV in the movie which had been for sale longer than I first owned a MKIV would have been sold a long time ago regardless of the price. It was the very car in the movie after all . But nobody will buy it .. it is a damn NA ..that is not why people buy a Supra MKIV. They buy one because they know they can build the drive & power train at a price way lower than the price of new cars now that can make the same power. Exactly why people with all sorts of cars buy the drive / power train and install it in their non MKIV car .

So why people buy NA MKIV now ? It is because the TT are so expensive now that they try to grab the cheaper ones which are the NA and just do the swaps . If it was just because of the MKIV body that they buy a Supra MKIV , then nobody will even do the swapping of drive / power trains. This simply proves that the drive / power train is what they were after . The body so happened to be a MKIV which makes you an owner of a rare breed of car you seldom see and can run along with the newer cars with head up high .

Until there are people willing to pay the price of a MKIV regardless of how high it is just to own one , then it will go no where but higher .

Last edited by gerrb; 03-30-16 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 12:18 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

gerrb, your history lesson fails to explain why prices aren't similarly high worldwide. And I don't see how one person's purchase price dispels all the other much higher ones.
Old 03-30-16, 12:24 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

lmaol, t2d2 stop equating the demand of the MKIV with the first Fast and the Furious or stop perpetuating hearsays or non-sense, lol . I say hearsay since you might have read or heard it from someone else knowing that it is a notion going around the forums. If you didn't hear it and they are your own very words then it is even worse since they are said out of ignorance . Let me for a second accept your reasoning that the first F&F movie made the prices of MKIV skyrocket .. so why is it not happening in all countries worldwide as you said ? That is a total contradiction since the movie was shown world wide.

Again , the demand in the USA for the USDM MKIV is so high that people are willing to pay regardless of the price at times that is why they continue to go higher. The demand of USDM MKIVs in other places world wide is not same as that of the demand in the USA that is why their prices are not going as high as we see here in the USA. You want me to explain it in a simpler way ? There is no other simpler way ... lol . Prices of MKIVs now , just like any other commodity, are driven by the demand , plain and simple . Is that hard to comprehend ? Now some will be a lot lot lot higher just because they are riding on the knowledge that a lot of people want them now and some are willing to pay. One even listed for almost $100k for a stock MKIV a few months back. That doesn't mean they will sell it at that very high price. But again , still some ....will pay. A stock TT selling at $45k or more depending on condition have been happening more now . Is it a bad sale . Not at all. A commodity is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Well , what matters most is they are happy with their purchase. It is their money to spend and wanted to reward themselves with a MKIV.

You get butt hurt just because I rebuked your assumption of the first Fast and Furious being the reason why the demand of the MKIV being so high. I would have said same thing whoever said that reasoning, lol. It is a hearsay or something said out of ignorance.

Last edited by gerrb; 03-30-16 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 01:18 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Each person will have their own views on whether the Supra is overhyped or not and whether it's overpriced or not.

I personally have always loved the TT Supra and I have no issues paying for one.

This Supra I'm buying was not cheap by any means but I'm totally excited about the purchase.

To find a bone stock all original white on black 98 Twin Turbo Targa roof was like hitting the lottery. A truly rare find these days.

I just signed the California DMV forms and dropped them off the Post Office to be over nighted to Texas.

Last edited by FSUsucks1; 03-30-16 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 01:51 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by FSUsucks1
I personally have always loved the TT Supra and I have no issues paying for one.

This Supra I'm buying was not cheap by any means but I'm totally excited about the purchase.

To find a bone stock all original white on black 98 Twin Turbo Targa roof was like hitting the lottery. A truly rare find these days.
This is the most important thing... it makes you happy. Price should not even be an issue if it is something that can put a smile on your face and you can pay for it.

BTW , make sure you put a good alarm or do whatever to get that car secured. Showing the VIN number and your address publicly for a car that expensive and much in demand makes it easier for thieves to get a duplicate key . More likely that car has the original locks.

If I were you , I wouldn't show that picture with the VIN and your address.

Quick Reply: Closing deal on a 98 MK4 TT