SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Closing deal on a 98 MK4 TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 01:53 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Gerrb, I am going to have to sort of disagree with you buddy, it was 9000% because of the fast and furious movies. People who know about supra's are generally car guys who will know about them anyways, but the influx of high $$ buyers just to get a collectors car are not the same people who have been on the supra band wagon all along, they are collectors who just recently found out about the supra due to what I think is the recent popularity of it coming back in the media and also I cannot deny the rarity there are fewer and fewer good examples every day.

The dates you mentioned do seem like they wouldn't have had an effect, but what I think you are missing is that the first 2 fast and furious movies were not well received by everyone, which is why Vin diesel turned down the offer to make the second fast and furious, hence the off story that was made for the second one. Then the third one similarly did not have either of the 2 main actors (vin diesel at the end), and that movie was not the one that "made" the franchise.

It was actually after the fourth one when Vin diesel and paul walker came back to the franchise that the whole thing took off, and then people started to look at the original one and the supra sort of skyrocketd from there as supras are in most of the movies and the most classic scene is the supra vs the ferrari in the first one, that got peoples attention that it could smoke a ferrari. I bet if there were skylines around here, they would have gone up in value also as it was a featured car, sort of like the FD rx7's did a hair but it was not a main car in the movie, but not like the supra cause it was the most featured car in the iconic first movie and as you said it is for good reason because it is actually a very potent platform. ITs just people didn't acknowledge fast and furious as great until post 2009. I feel that is when the secret about how potent a supra can be was "let out of the bag" on a large scale (not the tiny amount of us that saw the first movie way back in the day).

Fast and furious 4 came out in 2009 with all the hollywood backing of awesome trailers etc... and then the rest of them. 4 was so popular that it was the first one I went to in a caravan with my car and the entire lot was full.. well not full of supra's I can tell you that but full. The first movie did not have the popularity or movement behind it at the time to get so much attention, but later when the series took off everyone looked back and remmbered the iconic orange supra, n/a or not, it was shown as an extremely fast turbo supra. it did not help that the networks probably played that movie over and over again for years and year, probably still playing it.

There are also the factors everyone has mentioned, cannot deny that, but the reason everyone noticed the potency of the platform (besides the toyota guys) is the reason why the price skyrocketed hand in hand with the short demand. the supra has always been in short demand in a way, but people would only pay a certain amount for them. now its the "hot car" to have cause of the media and also cause it is actually that good, but the point is that it was always that good, just now more people know it. FAST AND FURIOUS!!!!

Oh and btw, you can drive up to canada and buy a right hand drive mk4 all day long, as well as LHD ones that were exported there from the US. I can assure you I have looked into buying one, and I Can tell you that the prices there have increased also. Its probably just the proximity to the US market. Not sure about Europe, but in Japan you can get them easily for under 15k, probably under 10k even. which is why they part them out and send the motors over here so often, they make more money parting out just the drive train and selling to us then it costs for the whole car over there.
Old 03-30-16, 02:11 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Ali - no problem buddy, I would have to agree and disagree with you .

I am specifically rebuking the fact that t2d2 said about the FIRST Fast and Furious being the staying power for the demand and prices of the MKIVs.

The damn car was an NA . Why is not everyone getting crazy with the Mitsubishi like the MKIV when it was also in that movie ? A lot of them were in that movie... so , is the movie the real reason for the demand ?

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
The dates you mentioned do seem like they wouldn't have had an effect, but what I think you are missing is that the first 2 fast and furious movies were not well received by everyone, which is why Vin diesel turned down the offer to make the second fast and furious, hence the off story that was made for the second one. Then the third one similarly did not have either of the 2 main actors (vin diesel at the end), and that movie was not the one that "made" the franchise.

.. the first 2 movies where not even well received by everyone as you said.... Does this confirm what I just said that the First F&F is not that influential or is not the staying power for the demand and prices of the MKIV as claimed ?

Enthusiasts and companies started discovering the power of the 2jzgte way before the other F&F sequels came out. Along the process, with the sequels of the movie ... it made the car more famous, no doubt . Nobody is denying that . The movies really brought the car up in a pedestal . But is it really because of the movie that make people buy the Supra MKIV or is it because it is nice , rare and its drive / power train being powerful and robust ?

This for me is the real reason which you have confirmed here ...

There are also the factors everyone has mentioned, cannot deny that, but the reason everyone noticed the potency of the platform (besides the toyota guys) is the reason why the price skyrocketed hand in hand with the short demand. the supra has always been in short demand in a way, but people would only pay a certain amount for them. now its the "hot car" to have cause of the media and also cause it is actually that good, but the point is that it was always that good, just now more people know it. FAST AND FURIOUS!!!!
and not because of the first movie in 2001. Just like I said , 7 years ago I flew to Colorado and I was still able to buy a 6speed MKIV for $14k , an Auto TT for $8k in Texas . They were not yet that crazy in prices then . Now you will be lucky if you can get one for even double those prices I paid for seven years ago. In the past 7 years , more people getting to know how good they are... brought up the demand and consequently the prices. It used to be people will only pay up to a certain amount for them, true , but now you see some being sold and are bought at ridiculous prices.. Again , as long as there are people grabbing them even at ridiculous prices , expect them to go even higher. Not because of the First F&F , but because of more demand than supply. And the demand is caused by the car being that good and not because of the First F&F.

Oh and btw, you can drive up to canada and buy a right hand drive mk4 all day long, as well as LHD ones that were exported there from the US. I can assure you I have looked into buying one, and I Can tell you that the prices there have increased also. Its probably just the proximity to the US market. Not sure about Europe, but in Japan you can get them easily for under 15k, probably under 10k even. which is why they part them out and send the motors over here so often, they make more money parting out just the drive train and selling to us then it costs for the whole car over there.
You are right , prices in Canada could have been driven higher due to the fact that we have them so high here now. But as they have said , in Europe they are cheap. In Japan .. very cheap. I have checked about importing MKIVs but the transport and import duties brings them to at least $20k for the 6speed. Then you have to deal with the fact that you need to backup when you go through the drive through to get your Kentucky Fried Chicken or Tacos and need to backup up when you need to exit a paid parking lot... lol. And people wondering why they see no driver on a moving car ...lol. And finally I just personally find it awkward driving a right hand car on left hand roads .... overtaking on a busy two lane roads is a pain and dangerous.

Last edited by gerrb; 03-30-16 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 02:27 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 445 Likes on 367 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by FSUsucks1
Thank you!. I actually have a buyer for my SC already and he is a super close friend so he knows the quality of the build on the SC.

As far as the Supra, I am going to mod it tastefully just like I did with my SC. Keep it simple and clean with quality parts and no fake replica parts.

I will also try to keep my SSR's off the SC and put them on the Supra but have to see if they fit properly first. If they don't fit properly then I'll buy some new wheels.
I bet your wheels will fit on the Supra. It just depends on the tire sizes. My SSR's were the same specs but with higher offsets and they fit on a Supra pretty well. Hopefully they fit your Supra. Those SSR's would look amazing on there.

By the way, what plans do you have for the Supra?
Old 03-30-16, 02:32 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

beautiful car
congrats

had many SC, never a Supra.

If you are willing to give me a ride in the passenger seat, would love to come down and check it out
Old 03-30-16, 02:53 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 305 Likes on 210 Posts

You can get quite a few CARB approved parts for the Supra and it is easy to install a downpipe and reinstall stock cats when needed should you need to pass a sniffer test. 400whp is easily achievable with a few bolts ons even with 91 octane **** fuel. With a quiet exhaust like the HKS Super Dragger or Tanabe Touring Medallion you will also draw zero extra attention to the car from the police.

Power House Racing used to sell a CARB certified single turbo kit for the car as well. I am not sure if that is still the case though.

Steve
Old 03-30-16, 03:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

OP, Congrats on the purchase! The Supra looks very clean and in fantastic condition. White is probably my favorite color for Supras too!

You SC is super clean. Arguably one of the best examples of an SC on this forum or anywhere. No expenses spared, very proper build. I am sure you will take great care of your Supra whether you choose to modify it or keep it all original. It's definitely in good hands.

Whatever you do, enjoy that car man. Supras are a blast, made to be driven hard. Life is too short to "sit" on cars or "invest" into cars hoping to make a few thousand on them in the long run. When you look at the bigger picture, nobody with a Supra is really getting rich off of these things. Even if prices keep growing, even if you make 20-30k on top of what you paid 10 years ago, that's not a sizable chunk of change and could have been 10 years of fantastic memories instead!

Best of luck!
Old 03-30-16, 03:54 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats on the new Supra!!!!

I think prices will stabilize and maybe come down a bit when we are able to legally import RHD models from Japan. Right now the import law is that the car has to be 25 years or older from the build date.

I think the other reason prices have been going up on the Supra(and NSX) is that the gear heads who were teenagers or in their early 20's back in the 90's now have the income to buy these cars. For a lot of people these were the "it" car to have when they were a teenager, they can just now afford one. Thus prices are going up. Also I think shows like "Chasing Classic Cars" have shown people that you can park your money in a car and not lose your shirt, possibly even make $$$$. There are a lot of rich people who have hopped on that bandwagon, thinking of it as both an investment and as a toy.

Also if you want a twin turbo Supra for cheap, you can always buy a Mark III 2.5 R, 1JZ-GTE under the hood stock.

http://japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/...caro-interior/

Last edited by Aron9000; 03-30-16 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 04:34 PM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the car man. Super clean car and great canvas for mods. GL
Old 03-30-16, 05:13 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats Fsu!!! I'm sure your Mkiv is going to be a double the badass factor compared to your sc!!

I could only wish for a clean low mileage ride like that, given time that ride is going to be worth more than what you paid for it!!

Enjoy driving that baby!!!
Old 03-31-16, 09:40 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
OP, Congrats on the purchase! The Supra looks very clean and in fantastic condition. White is probably my favorite color for Supras too!

You SC is super clean. Arguably one of the best examples of an SC on this forum or anywhere. No expenses spared, very proper build. I am sure you will take great care of your Supra whether you choose to modify it or keep it all original. It's definitely in good hands.

Whatever you do, enjoy that car man. Supras are a blast, made to be driven hard. Life is too short to "sit" on cars or "invest" into cars hoping to make a few thousand on them in the long run. When you look at the bigger picture, nobody with a Supra is really getting rich off of these things. Even if prices keep growing, even if you make 20-30k on top of what you paid 10 years ago, that's not a sizable chunk of change and could have been 10 years of fantastic memories instead!

Best of luck!
Thank you! I will definitely do some tasteful mods to it and I will enjoy it on the weekends. Not looking at this car as an investment for the future, I am making the one car I will keep till I die and pass it on to my son.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Congrats on the new Supra!!!!

I think prices will stabilize and maybe come down a bit when we are able to legally import RHD models from Japan. Right now the import law is that the car has to be 25 years or older from the build date.

I think the other reason prices have been going up on the Supra(and NSX) is that the gear heads who were teenagers or in their early 20's back in the 90's now have the income to buy these cars. For a lot of people these were the "it" car to have when they were a teenager, they can just now afford one. Thus prices are going up. Also I think shows like "Chasing Classic Cars" have shown people that you can park your money in a car and not lose your shirt, possibly even make $$$$. There are a lot of rich people who have hopped on that bandwagon, thinking of it as both an investment and as a toy.

Also if you want a twin turbo Supra for cheap, you can always buy a Mark III 2.5 R, 1JZ-GTE under the hood stock.

http://japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/...caro-interior/
I am not worried about the pricing on them. All I know is that it is a gorgeous car that I've wanted for a long time. Importing them into CA is not very easy and ends up costing a ton with all of the fees and such.

Originally Posted by ross3857
Congrats on the car man. Super clean car and great canvas for mods. GL
Thanks bro.

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Congrats Fsu!!! I'm sure your Mkiv is going to be a double the badass factor compared to your sc!!

I could only wish for a clean low mileage ride like that, given time that ride is going to be worth more than what you paid for it!!

Enjoy driving that baby!!!
Thank you Lex. I look forward to the new project.
Old 03-31-16, 02:11 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Beautiful Supra man! Your SC is really clean too! Hope it goes to a CL member.
Old 03-31-16, 06:29 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Beautiful Supra man! Your SC is really clean too! Hope it goes to a CL member.
Thank you! Unfortunately not going to a CL member.
Old 04-01-16, 07:57 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

FSU, you will be missed on this forum. I want to thank you for all your input and wish you all the best with your new project. Like everyone already said, your SC400 is a work of art, and we will miss seeing it on here. I would have never sold it, but then again, I like to hold on to my cars.

Please keep us posted with your mods to the supra in your build thread.
Old 04-01-16, 11:30 AM
tjmhillz
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the supra.. You have/had one clean SC thats for sure and i can only imagine what your going to do to the Supra once you get it.
Old 04-01-16, 03:09 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase!

Quick Reply: Closing deal on a 98 MK4 TT