SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Closing deal on a 98 MK4 TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 07:07 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd do a few engine mods and keep the stock twin turbos. Things like an intake, downpipe, and bumping the boost up a hair will get you an easy 100 extra hp. Turbocharged cars love E85 ethanol, its great for reducing knock on higher than stock boost levels, but I don't know if I'd want a bunch of that stuff sitting in the gas tank on a car I don't drive a lot.
Old 04-08-16, 06:54 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

I always tell people , build your car based on its purpose or use. For what he intends to use the car , it won't be worth it to go E85 . He would have to change a lot of stuff especially on the fuel system (injectors , fuel lines , more fuel pump) . E85 requires 30 - 40 % more volume of fuel aside from the fact that those stock twins will start getting choked from the huge amount of exhaust gas produced by E85. Won't benefit much. Then as Aron9000 said , you don't want an E85 car to be sitting for a long period of time because of humidity . Acquiring water into the fuel system corrodes many of the parts of the system. So your fuel system parts has to be E85 friendly .

Stock TT fuel system can get you into the 500rwhp on pump 93. So sticking to it considering the purpose of the car is the best way to go IMHO. You will get into the limits of the stock turbos before you can maximize your current stock fuel system on pump 93. Let your engine breath , install a good intake filter / pipe , exhaust system - 3" down mid pipe and less restrictive cat and mufflers if you still need cat because of emission inspection otherwise take out the cat ,maybe FMIC which is easy to install and taken out if you want the stock sidemount IC back, BCC (greddy- so you can boost higher than the stock 11psi) ... should take you somewhere to 360-420rwhp already. I will push the twins only to around 17-18 psi otherwise , they will be on borrowed times. If you want to go higher , upgrade to hybrid twins or go small single to get you to 500rwhp. Those are the subtle changes you can do to the car (BPU / APU as they term it) without spending tons and still have stock drivability if all the components are properly installed . NEVER CHEAP OUT specially on moving parts is all I can say. Only let people who know what they are doing to work on your car. Many will say they do but I have seen a lot of people or shops who pretend to know but never really know what they are doing with a 2jzgte power plant especially with built engines.

Originally Posted by FSUsucks1

I think you've been able to see from my time on the forums here that I don't get all caught up in the heat of the moment and I definitely don't speak out of my rear end!
I have seen that . There is nothing wrong in saying one's view . The problem lies when it is so obvious that one is wrong, is corrected and gets butt hurt then start whining or being a smartas? ... they will put you in your place quick on that forum . Some won't hold back in what they say . When you are wrong , you are wrong and be man enough to accept it . Only sissies cry when corrected and let their pride prevent them from accepting correction. Don't get me wrong though. It is a nice and great forum. A lot of good people and you will learn a lot about your car. It is the best forum for our MKIVs and about the 2jzgte power plant ... as?holes and idiots are not tolerated there though .

Last edited by gerrb; 04-09-16 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-09-16, 01:54 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

^^ I think the SFS STU Hybrid twin upgrade would be a change much more in line with keeping the car close to original. There are also (other than another stock one) the Chris Wilson (UK) and the Garage Whifbitz SMIC's if the factory intercooler ever wears out and you also wish to avoid a front mount. Though they are often associated with E85 fuel systems those hybrid twins can make very modest improvements using only 93 or even 91 octane (up to about 50whp by themselves without other changes so I understand).

That said, as Gerrb has pointed out you don't really need a turbo upgrade if you aren't changing much anyway. And from what Jared at SFS explained to me, stock USDM twins left at factory stock boost levels have been observed to last between 150,000-200,000 miles before rebuilding for some owners. I assume it totally depends on how they were driven on and cared for. Even 14-15psi is supposed to allow them to last for years and years with good care. Not that I'm assuming one of your goals is to put that many miles on your MKIV

FSUsucks1, you've got a beautiful rare (and apparently very low production variant) sportscar in the rarest production year. It doesn't sound like you're out to do more than enjoy it for what it is and take care of it. It's already a very potent classic car as is. It's only going to become more valuable with time

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-09-16 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-09-16, 09:24 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ I think the SFS STU Hybrid twin upgrade would be a change much more in line with keeping the car close to original. There are also (other than another stock one) the Chris Wilson (UK) and the Garage Whifbitz SMIC's if the factory intercooler ever wears out and you also wish to avoid a front mount. Though they are often associated with E85 fuel systems those hybrid twins can make very modest improvements using only 93 or even 91 octane (up to about 50whp by themselves without other changes so I understand).

That said, as Gerrb has pointed out you don't really need a turbo upgrade if you aren't changing much anyway. And from what Jared at SFS explained to me, stock USDM twins left at factory stock boost levels have been observed to last between 150,000-200,000 miles before rebuilding for some owners. I assume it totally depends on how they were driven on and cared for. Even 14-15psi is supposed to allow them to last for years and years with good care. Not that I'm assuming one of your goals is to put that many miles on your MKIV

FSUsucks1, you've got a beautiful rare (and apparently very low production variant) sportscar in the rarest production year. It doesn't sound like you're out to do more than enjoy it for what it is and take care of it. It's already a very potent classic car as is. It's only going to become more valuable with time
Those USDM turbos must be alot better than the JDM ones. When I got my initial swap, it was claimed to have your typicaly "40-50,000 miles" on it, but the JDM twins had oil inside and were most likely toast. Had to switch to USDM right away.
Old 04-09-16, 04:39 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Those USDM turbos must be alot better than the JDM ones. When I got my initial swap, it was claimed to have your typicaly "40-50,000 miles" on it, but the JDM twins had oil inside and were most likely toast. Had to switch to USDM right away.
So you got no miles out of them at all? That sucks :/ Maybe the previous owner of that engine just didn't change his oil very often. At least you got to experience an upgrade from the start.

The JDM 2JZGTE twins with ceramic compressor wheels weren't designed to last nearly as long as the export versions but they did promote slightly better spool-up at the lower stock boost setting. Not very useful once you exceed that.

The USDM set I have with 150,000 miles on them were supposed to be still working and not smoking when I bought them with the entire system. They were run at 18psi for a few years. There is some very minor shaft play so I will not be installing them until they are rebuilt but for a set of water-cooled 90's turbochargers that's pretty durable. I am likely going to keep mine at BPU 15 psi when all said and done so I have high hopes for them post-rebuild.

The interesting thing is that while the USDM twins are the ones everyone wants in stock form or STU upgraded form... the JDM twins have thicker and stronger turbine shafts and are supposed to be closer in spec to Garret's GT28 shaft and wheel design from the factory. There are standard steel wheel GT28 rebuilds available for them now and also a version of the STU upgrade as well.
Old 04-10-16, 08:16 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

For my year 1998, there were only 26 Super White Turbo Auto Targa's sold here. I would not say it is a common car at all.

Attachment 383601
That last year of MKIVs for the US market is a well coveted production car and you have it... congrats.

I wish I can find more original 6 speed TT Hardtop though. They are the hardest to find ... having only 260 . After 1995 they have stopped producing them and their prices had risen to the roof .

Last edited by gerrb; 04-10-16 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-10-16, 12:19 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
That last year of MKIVs for the US market is a well coveted production car and you have it... congrats.

I wish I can find more original 6 speed TT Hardtop though. They are the hardest to find ... having only 260 . After 1995 they have stopped producing them and their prices had risen to the roof .
One of the guys at my work drives a TT 6spd hardtop. It's baltic blue color although I"m not sure what year it is. 8 or 9 in produced 94 or 95
Old 04-10-16, 03:31 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb

I passed up on a 93 Baltic Blue 6spd Hardtop few years ago for $28K it was all original except suspension and wheels, oh well.

Some guy on FB listed a white 98 Targa NA Auto for $12K it had 100K miles. He deleted ad within 15 mins because of the amount of messages he got, sure it got sold within the hour. People were offering 15K and up. Supra market is insane. Wonder if it will get like the E30 M3, that market is wild.
Old 04-11-16, 08:45 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is on its way!

https://flic.kr/p/G9YY8s
Old 04-11-16, 11:12 PM
KahnBB6

My car is on its way!

https://flic.kr/p/G9YY8s
Man, what a sight! Once in my life I've experienced that anticipation of seeing an older (and much less valuable than your '98 TT!) classic on its way across the country to get to me. It's a great feeling. Congratulations, FSU!
Old 04-11-16, 11:55 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Man, what a sight! Once in my life I've experienced that anticipation of seeing an older (and much less valuable than your '98 TT!) classic on its way across the country to get to me. It's a great feeling. Congratulations, FSU!
Thank you Kahn! My family and are in Maui right now and we get back to LA on Wedneaday night.

The car will be delivered to me on Thursday so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it!

Last edited by FSUsucks1; 04-12-16 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-12-16, 08:19 AM
SupraTurbo
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBang
One of the guys at my work drives a TT 6spd hardtop. It's baltic blue color although I"m not sure what year it is. 8 or 9 in produced 94 or 95
What city in Texas?

Juan,

I've commented on your purchase on SF already, but again congratulations on the purchase! Didn't realize this was your SC. I'm "Supra Turbo" on SF.

And LOL at some of the comments in this thread...

Last edited by SupraTurbo; 04-12-16 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-12-16, 09:01 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Thank you Kahn! My family and are in Maui right now and we get back to LA on Wedneaday night.

The car will be delivered to me on Thursday so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it!
So, you're actually looking forward to leaving Hawaii?
Old 04-12-16, 09:20 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BigBang
Is it for sale ?

Originally Posted by plex
I passed up on a 93 Baltic Blue 6spd Hardtop few years ago for $28K it was all original except suspension and wheels, oh well.
When was that ? I hardly see 6speed Hardtops for sale.

Originally Posted by iBoost

Old 04-12-16, 10:40 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iBoost
What city in Texas?

Juan,

I've commented on your purchase on SF already, but again congratulations on the purchase! Didn't realize this was your SC. I'm "Supra Turbo" on SF.

Thank you bro! The car is coming from Houston.

Yes, some of the comments are what they are and I just ignore 99% of them. Lol

Last edited by FSUsucks1; 04-12-16 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Closing deal on a 98 MK4 TT