Battery Light Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-16, 05:29 PM
wexpac
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Light Issue?

1994 Lexus sc300 5 speed

I have done a search and all point to things I believe i've already addressed.

My battery light started coming on at idle (600-700rpm, I believe this is pretty low) recently. It will flash and go off once rpms climb to about 2100 and stay off until idle again hits below 1000.

I have a new battery, new oem connections to the battery, and a new (refurbished) alternator all within the last 6 months. I also do not have a power steering leak (that I know of) as mentioned as a possible culprit and I think is on the opposite side of the sc300 anyhow.

The last mod installed was an HID plug/play kit recommend on Club Lexus from Xtreme Digital. The kit is a 5300k Phillips 9006 just to include details. It has been over 2 months since being installed so i'm convinced that is not the problem either. At the same time I also installed an LED interior/exterior bulb kit from Luxury Mods.

I don't drive the car more than about 20 miles a day, and battery voltage shows regular and does charge while running. There is also no dimming of any lights. Does anybody have any other ideas on where to start?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by wexpac; 04-03-16 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-03-16, 06:11 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Did you use a relay kit for the HID lights.
I don't know but I would check your charging system again especially the alternator. Maybe there is some component pulling extra power at idle. Check and adjust you idle and see if that helps.
Old 04-03-16, 07:10 PM
wexpac
Rookie

The relay kit was not installed. I will get them put in tomorrow and post an update. Could tthe ballast cause issues with the eletrical even during daytime when they are off?
Old 04-03-16, 11:06 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Of the two PnP HID kits I've used in my car both had relay setups. That should be a standard part of every HID conversion.

After you install the relay setup as per the instructions I second BiGEZ' recommendation to check your car's charging system. Check your alternator's output at idle and double check the battery health because your HID ballasts should be drawing directly from the battery terminals.

The early SC300's (including the 5-speeds) usually have a mere 80amp alternator from the factory but they can handle a common HID upgrade just fine if they're in working order.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-03-16 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 07:55 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Double check your distributor for leaks.
The O-ring seal around the distributor sometimes fail and causes an oil leak, and sometimes the distributor itself can crack and an internal leak will cause dripping. It's right above the alternator in the 300, and dripping oil from the distributor has killed many an SC300 alternator, including my old one.
Old 04-04-16, 10:44 AM
wexpac
Rookie

Update 1: Thanks for the suggestions. So I removed the hid kit entirely and drove around a bit it doesnt seem to have any effect on the issue. I have checked the distributor and cannot find any signs of leaks. After testing with a voltmeter while running the car seems to be charging properly reading at 14.3 without any signs of dropping.

After standing under the hood for a bit and using my Viper 5902 remote start for power while testing voltage I did notice a click sounding noise coming from the front end of the motor area and the car turned off and on a few times on its own. Once I started the car with the key however it did not turn off anymore and Did hear the same click noise once or twice during the 5 minutes I had it sitting at idle.

I have had this Viper system for 4+ years and during this time i've replaced the alternator 2-3 times (I figured it was my sound system doing the damage so have since removed it long ago) but may be convinced the remote start is possibly the cause of the issue.

Any other input is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by wexpac; 04-04-16 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 10:48 AM
wexpac
Rookie

To add additional info, after sitting at idle for 10 minutes voltage peaked at 16 and it has come to attention that when using the remote start the car will no longer stay on and will continously turn on for about 15 seconds then die and auto reattempt starting. I have used this feature regularly for heating up the car before driving so its unknown if the issue has been lingering over the past few days.

The battery light first appeared about a week ago and went off later that night and has since reappeared yesterday with no changes to anything. Other than the remote start not staying on and the battery light being on there does not seem to be any other issues. Starting is as easy as ever and no lights are dimmed as previously mentioned.

Last edited by wexpac; 04-04-16 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-04-16, 05:04 PM
wexpac
Rookie

Update 2: so after driving today and the light still coming on once I got back home the light went off. I sat in the car with all lights and ac/radio on without any issues. The remote start actually works fine for now too, I believe the battery indicator light is a red flag for the viper alarm system and was triggering a shutoff feature. Now im stumped back to square 1 waiting for the light to decide to turn back on...
Old 04-04-16, 05:48 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting you've gone through 2-3 alternators in that period of time.
Thats not a normal wear period at all, and typically any sort of electrical drain on the system will kill the battery, not the alternator.

I know you said you didn't see any leak from the distributor, but I'd double check that again, unbolt the distributor shield and see if there is any oil on it. Typically the only thing that will kill an alternator that fast is going to be fluid getting into the windings and causing a short.

If there is any oil on the distributor shield at all thats typically a telling sign of a leak, and it definitely souns like your current alternator is on its way out since its turning the battery light on and off, an you're getting voltage peaks above 15v.

What brand of replacement alternator have you been using?
Old 04-05-16, 12:17 AM
wexpac
Rookie

There seemed to be a bit of dirt on the alternator after closer inspection. Heres a pic, pay not attn to the spot on the ground as this is not my usual parking space.

I should mention the first 2 alternators one was the one when I bought the car and the other was a used replacement I pulled off a car. This last one is a Pro Start brand from PepBoys.

I believe I had a main seal leak before I had the water pump replaced now that I remember, this could have been a large part of the issue as oil was in the vicinity at that time 6-8 months ago.

Last edited by wexpac; 04-05-16 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-05-16, 11:45 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

The marks on the alternator look an awful lot like oil stains to me. I can't see too much of the distributor shield in your photos, but the part I can see is dark, and it very much looks like an oil leak to me.

If you are still unsure, put some degreaser on a rag, and rub the alternator clean, then check it in a day or two and see if there are any new oil stains on it, but something liquid has definitely spilled on the alternator. And I'd wager a guess that your alternator is on it's way out since the battery light comes on sometimes, and you're getting voltage surges up to 16v.