SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Who will be joining me

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 07:36 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Virginia is a state that accepts the 25 year old rule. Unfortunately I own a '95 so I have a few years left. However, Virginia is no where near as strict as California, and we have rural counties that don't require emissions testing.
Old 04-12-16, 08:22 AM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

That's what I was thinking about once my SC becomes 25 years old, I have a long way to go.. 1998 here
Old 04-12-16, 12:23 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SEIDO
I'm a cop in Susquehanna, PA and I just discovered that because the population there is so small, they're exempt from emissions. So if you register you car in a place with a tiny population, you too could be set free
How long have you been a cop?

I've been one for 14 years now with LAPD.

Also, what is making it even more difficult in California to truly modify cars is that CHP is setting up random car inspection check points where they automatically send your car to a state referee if they feel it has been modified. Good luck passing that inspection!

Last edited by FSUsucks1; 04-12-16 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 06:02 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
Many counties in Illinois with lower population do not require emissions testing. If you are one of the lucky ones who lives in a densely populated county, you get a PO Box outside the county and register the car there.
This doesn't work anymore. The state knew people were doing this so as of right now it is illegal to register to a PO Box. I've heard that they still allow this for college students, but they demand current proof of college enrollment. And the address has to be your college address.

As of now the only way to get out of OBD2 emissions in illinois is to apply for a racecar exemption, or register the car at an address outside of the Chicagoland emissions zone (50+ miles outside of chicago city limits).

Fun fact: A very large number of OBD2 Supras in Chicagoland are registered to a single farmhouse near Dekalb LOL
Old 04-12-16, 07:56 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
3 of my SCs are 1992 ... comes January , no more emissions or inspections required . Exactly the reason why I chose the 1992s. And the 1 of 120 , 1997 5 speed will be registered in a non emission county here in GA so no emission and inspection required either .

I love visiting California since got tons of friends and relatives there but I will never give up GA for CA ... vehicle registration policies is one of the reasons why. Looks like it is a money making business with all the requirements set forth above. I wonder why they have to be different from most state of the country ?
Awesome, Gerry! Glad you're getting closer to exemption out there with your cars. I knew most of GA has emissions inspection but it's good to hear there is leniency for you once they all hit 25 years.

Smog exemption in CA being locked at 1975 isn't a fun subject. I've personally already gone through my Elizabeth Kubler-Ross phases with this. It's depressing but it is what it is. Technically in CA all it means is that you aren't required to have the car smog tested while you're supposed to keep any stock or CARB approved emissions parts on your 1975 or older car. But no one bothers the exempt cars.

Although this apparently happened today. I was totally unaware of it and wish I'd heard about it sooner. I'd have contacted a representative or two. I'd love to hear that the exemption was extended to 1981. The last time I saw a video of an ARB session on a similar bill it was unanimously rejected and the classic car representatives who spoke were all but ignored.

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...16CA2&g=SEMAGA

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...16CA4&g=SEMAGA

Originally Posted by FSUsucks1

I've been one for 14 years now with LAPD.

Also, what is making it even more difficult in California to truly modify cars is that CHP is setting up random car inspection check points where they automatically send your car to a state referee if they feel it has been modified. Good luck passing that inspection!
FSU, I didn't know you were in law enforcement. Thanks for being out there and serving

I've heard of these check points. I think I've seen one near my area once and from the few youtube videos people put up showing them it does seem to be CHP helping the ARB folks manage these "voluntary" tests which you can supposedly refuse with a reason such as needing to get to work. Though I do wonder about that. If you politely refuse citing you have work appointments or something similar... do they just serve you a Referee inspection ticket anyway?

Those checkpoints affect poor folks as much as people with modified cars. Another reason I've decided to stay 100% engine legal and nearly visually stock with my SC.

I hope you don't get harassed with your MKIV, FSU. I've read some ridiculous stories from Lancer Evolution owners having to contest accusations of modifications that were actually related to the factory stock appearance and hardware.

To say nothing of actually modifying one's car in an obvious way.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-12-16 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 08:30 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

92 SC300....Mine will 25 yrs old soon.....Cant wait to register SC for antique vehicle
Old 04-13-16, 01:11 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Awesome, Gerry! Glad you're getting closer to exemption out there with your cars. I knew most of GA has emissions inspection but it's good to hear there is leniency for you once they all hit 25 years.

Smog exemption in CA being locked at 1975 isn't a fun subject. I've personally already gone through my Elizabeth Kubler-Ross phases with this. It's depressing but it is what it is. Technically in CA all it means is that you aren't required to have the car smog tested while you're supposed to keep any stock or CARB approved emissions parts on your 1975 or older car. But no one bothers the exempt cars.

Although this apparently happened today. I was totally unaware of it and wish I'd heard about it sooner. I'd have contacted a representative or two. I'd love to hear that the exemption was extended to 1981. The last time I saw a video of an ARB session on a similar bill it was unanimously rejected and the classic car representatives who spoke were all but ignored.

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...16CA2&g=SEMAGA

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...16CA4&g=SEMAGA

FSU, I didn't know you were in law enforcement. Thanks for being out there and serving

I've heard of these check points. I think I've seen one near my area once and from the few youtube videos people put up showing them it does seem to be CHP helping the ARB folks manage these "voluntary" tests which you can supposedly refuse with a reason such as needing to get to work. Though I do wonder about that. If you politely refuse citing you have work appointments or something similar... do they just serve you a Referee inspection ticket anyway?

Those checkpoints affect poor folks as much as people with modified cars. Another reason I've decided to stay 100% engine legal and nearly visually stock with my SC.

I hope you don't get harassed with your MKIV, FSU. I've read some ridiculous stories from Lancer Evolution owners having to contest accusations of modifications that were actually related to the factory stock appearance and hardware.

To say nothing of actually modifying one's car in an obvious way.
Thank you Kahn.

Basically any law enforcement officer in California can send you to the State Referee if they feel your car has had its emission system(s) altered in any way.

All they need to is just suspect that it has been altered and they can send you to a referee.

The California Vehicle Code book is like a huge bible. You can find something that gives you probable cause to stop someone. It's crazy how much stuff is inside the vehicle code book.

I've been pulled over many many times but I just identify myself when I do and then they just walk away and say have a safe day.

I never targeted modded cars when I was working the streets but if I saw someone racing or doing something else that wasn't safe I stopped them and hammered them.

If people want to race they need to go to a race track! They should not be racing on the regular streets where they can hurt someone else.
Old 04-13-16, 04:12 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

Thanks for your services FSUsucks1 and SEIDO . This country is great because of the services of good people like you.

The PO Box scheme to register a vehicle here in GA is still being used by some. It is allowed here in some counties. There are 159 counties in GA and only the 13 Metro Counties surrounding Atlanta are required to have emissions tests for vehicles that are below 25 years old. We don't even have safety inspections. Your car can be falling apart but as long as it passes emissions , you can run it...lol.
Old 04-13-16, 01:29 PM
Msaucier
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
92 SC300....Mine will 25 yrs old soon.....Cant wait to register SC for antique vehicle
If you are able, I would go with a classic tag, Its inspection exempt and there aren't as many stipulations with it. meaning an antiques in TX can only be driven so many miles a year but a classic can be driven everyday without having to worry about miles.
Old 04-14-16, 12:19 AM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Antique in Pa. has a lot of driving restrictions,.but doesn't require a safety or emissions inspection. Best bet in Pa. if you want to drive your car more regularly would be to go classic plate, it still has to be safety inspected, but no emissions and you don't have to get registration every year, and insurance is alot less.
Old 04-14-16, 01:53 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Thank you Kahn.

Basically any law enforcement officer in California can send you to the State Referee if they feel your car has had its emission system(s) altered in any way.

All they need to is just suspect that it has been altered and they can send you to a referee.

The California Vehicle Code book is like a huge bible. You can find something that gives you probable cause to stop someone. It's crazy how much stuff is inside the vehicle code book.

I've been pulled over many many times but I just identify myself when I do and then they just walk away and say have a safe day.

I never targeted modded cars when I was working the streets but if I saw someone racing or doing something else that wasn't safe I stopped them and hammered them.

If people want to race they need to go to a race track! They should not be racing on the regular streets where they can hurt someone else.
FSUsucks1, an officer friend back in Florida told me a couple of stories like that from when he had a Porsche (996). It's similar to what you say. And he expected at least some attention, owning a 911.

I figured it was something like that (the CA VC book). And I'm sure there have been many reasons why it eventually got as thick as it currently is, as controversial a topic as emissions can be for us when it comes to drivetrain modification.

Personally I think it's when the required working emission parts become hard to obtain that it becomes the most difficult. Or when a nearly identical part does the same thing as the OEM part or does it more efficiently in regards to emissions (or which does not measurably affect emissions from stock at all) and still isn't considered legal. That aftermarket part approval process is very, very expensive.

Not trying to bring all that up for debate. It is what it is.

You've got no argument from me on the subject of street racing though. It is for tracks and I do not engage in that or condone it. I've seen some people do some very stupid things in the past and the shock never left me. I like driving fun cars and modifying them just as we all do... but that kind of stupidity doesn't get sympathy from me. Nor does drunk driving or phone texting while driving :/

Thanks for your services FSUsucks1 and SEIDO . This country is great because of the services of good people like you.
^^ Yes. And SEIDO too?

The PO Box scheme to register a vehicle here in GA is still being used by some. It is allowed here in some counties. There are 159 counties in GA and only the 13 Metro Counties surrounding Atlanta are required to have emissions tests for vehicles that are below 25 years old. We don't even have safety inspections. Your car can be falling apart but as long as it passes emissions , you can run it...lol.
I know there are definitely instances where you can get ticketed for malfunctioning or non-operable safety equipment out here but there really doesn't seem to be a comprehensive safety inspection in CA either unless you're registering at the DMV or are having a BAR inspection (which for most people with most common types of cars is rare to never). It's almost entirely about emissions... unless your car is so obviously out of code that an officer will flag you for whatever caught their attention. At least that's what I've observed (FSU...?)

Big contrast to Florida though. Zero emissions. Zero safety inspections. There, "Antique" plates require the vehicle to be at least thirty years old though, not 25. My first car got its antique plates for the last couple of years I owned it. I even got it with the model year in the middle
Old 04-14-16, 09:16 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do cops leave you alone when they pull you over? Do you think that's fair or just for the law to only be enforced against those who are not part of the law enforcement class?
Old 04-15-16, 05:21 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MD is historic after 25 years-which mine is. No emissions needed. State inspection only needed when ownership changes hands. People still ask how I can get historic tags on such a young car. I just tell them looks for a passenger-side airbag!!!!
Old 04-15-16, 03:17 PM
Sactolex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for you CA folks in the know:

#1 is it legal to put a 99+ SC400 engine and transmission in a 92 SC400
#2 Is this possible? Would OBDI/2 differences cause a problem?
#3 Would this pass smog?

This is a hypothetical "engine blows", may as well upgrade while I'm here scenario.
Old 04-15-16, 03:24 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sort of off topic Sactolex but #1 you can put a newer engine in so yes that is legal after you get it bar'd, emphasis on after getting bar'd (meaning a referree will look at every single detail to ensure you made the car exactly like a 99+ emissions and obd2 functionality wise). #2 yes it is possible but you would be required to have obd2 working, with a bit of wiring you can wire up an obd2 port to an obd1 SC and have it all work. it is possible but I wouldn't say it is easy not many people do it. #3 if it is legally bar'd then yes, it would have to pass the test for a 99.

Its basically like doing a whole swap engine + ecu + wiring, and I am not sure if the body plugs will be the same so if not then you have to wire those into the cars body plugs (similar as doing a 2jzgte swap cause they have different body plugs etc..). For the obd2 port, there is a pre obd port there with wires you need, and you run 1 or 2 additional wires from the ecu to that spot and install a new obd2 connector, and presto you have obd2 in and working. there may be some differences on the engine in regards to the throttle body I can't remember if they have a cable or not but expect small stuff like that to iron out also, but still if you have a whole 99 donor car it is very possible.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-15-16 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Who will be joining me